PDA

View Full Version : garry pye turning tools

robyn2839
5th March 2011, 08:00 PM
has anyone had any experience with these chisels ? i am aftera set of chisels and these seem to be a good price and hss as well?.........bob

bowl-basher
5th March 2011, 08:03 PM
I have several of their scrapers and a roughing gouge all are serving me very well
regards
Bowl-basher

robyn2839
8th March 2011, 08:50 AM
thanks for that ,i thought there would be more who bought them but i must be wrong,maybe i will try them anyway....bob

issatree
8th March 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi robyn2839,
Been Turning for a long time now, & I can't go past P&N Turning Tools, but buy Unhandled.
I also have McJing Tools, as in Skew, Bedan, & Skewchigouge, that I made up.
Certainly can't fault that Steel, & it is a bit Cheaper than most, & it does hold it's Edge.

rsser
8th March 2011, 06:02 PM
The tools sound like a line marketed for some years now; they have a 'walnut' handle?

Some members have had good results but it'll be Chinese steel, like McJing's, and it's a bit of a lottery as to how well the heat treatment has been done.

Chief Tiff
8th March 2011, 07:04 PM
G'day Bob,

I bought their six piece set a couple of years ago and I believe they were worth the money. They are comfortable to hold, have plenty of metal, and they hold their cutting edges well.

I was an absolute beginner at the time (I've now progressed to: "Hopeless Amateur") and these still serve me well. As I identify a need for a superior tool (read: want something shiny) I either purchase it straight away (Robert Sorby addict!) or convert one of the GPW chisels to something close. Then buy it anyway.

As I progress with my turning skills I will be using the GPW chisels more and more as blanks to experiment with different profiles.

Would I buy them again? If I had to start out all over again then yes I would with no hesitation.

Grommett
8th March 2011, 10:59 PM
I bought a full set of GPW bowl gouges about 18 months ago. I have recently bought a replacement 1/2 bowl gouge. There is about 3/4 inch left on the old one and it still sharpens well. I think they are great value for new turners and it will remain part of my basic kit. Doesn't mean I won't be tempted by the "signature series" but really if you want to have a couple of chisels say with a traditional grind and a swept back grind why wouldn't you get a couple of GPWs to experiment with? I recommend them to the new turners in our club as intro tools, better than most and value for money.