PDA

View Full Version : Surface Rust on Lathe bed

smidsy
27th November 2004, 05:20 PM
Hei Guys,
I've been giving the lathe bed a liberal dosing of Inox but I notice that there is some brown stains on the bare metal - those stains are usually the precursor of rust.
What do I do to fix this?
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
27th November 2004, 05:33 PM
Wet some Scotchbrite with Inox and rub down the bed!

:)

Timbo
27th November 2004, 11:25 PM
Guys, I've noticed in the last few weeks that there is similar rusty colour on the bed of my lathe also (a 10 year old Vicmarc which I bought last year). I have not out anything on the bed since I got it so it's probably no wonder that it isn't looking great. What is Inox and where to I get some?

Timbo

smidsy
27th November 2004, 11:46 PM
Hei Tim,
Inox is a lubricant / water dispersant spray similiar to WD40 and CRC but a whole lot better.
Check out http://www.inox-mx3.com/home.htm

I know for sure that Carbatec sells it but I'm not sure where else in NSW you'd get it.
Cheers
Paul

MathewA
28th November 2004, 11:40 AM
I've found cheap floor paste wax to be as good, if not better, than any of the fancy rust protectors

rsser
28th November 2004, 12:32 PM
If I recall Vicmarc themselves say just to wipe on some light oil from time to time.

And clean them asap after green turning.

vsquizz
28th November 2004, 03:45 PM
Smidsy, Coventry's, Repco, a lot of auto shops and bearing service stock INOX. Its great stuff but best bought in 5L container with hand sprayer (cheaper overall and easy to use).

Cheers

Fred in Tassie
28th November 2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Smidsy

I have discovered that a 50/50 mixture of engine oil and kero is as good any. it protects and lubricates the bed. The addition of the kero to the oil enables you to apply via spray.

Cheers Fred

Cliff Rogers
30th November 2004, 01:35 AM
G'day.

Lanoguard, about $10 a can at Supercheap Auto & it goes a VERY long way.

I've done all my lathes, tools etc, the wheelbarrow, the tractor, the rubbish bins, the squeaky gate & there's still some left... matter of fact, I have a squeaky wheel in the house that I'm thinking of trying it on next. :D

Simon-UK
30th November 2004, 04:47 AM
I use a PTFE dry film lub spray. It forms a waterproof layer, helps the rest / tailstock slide easily and is dry to the touch hence shavings / sanding dust etc do not stick to it.

Simon.

CHJ
30th November 2004, 06:12 PM
G'day.

Lanoguard, about $10 a can at Supercheap Auto & it goes a VERY long way.

I've done all my lathes, tools etc, the wheelbarrow, the tractor, the rubbish bins, the squeaky gate & there's still some left... matter of fact, I have a squeaky wheel in the house that I'm thinking of trying it on next. :D
Be careful using Lanolin based products if you also do resin bonding or electronics curcuit board work in you shop area.

Lanolin (sheep wool waterproofer) has a strong habit of dispersing in the air and can leave microscopic coatings over time on everything else in the same room.

Chas

Cliff Rogers
30th November 2004, 09:16 PM
... Lanolin (sheep wool waterproofer) has a strong habit of dispersing in the air and can leave microscopic coatings over time on everything else in the same room....

Arh, a bit like silicon, I didn't know that.

I've been in the electronics industry for about 27 years now, I don't make PCBs & it's NOT my hobby. :D

I do dick around with Valve Amps from time to time but I like the older stuff that doesn't have PCBs.

CHJ
1st December 2004, 03:05 AM
I found out in a previous incarnation as supervisor in my early 20's of a shop full of women workers, (a very steep learning curve http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif) when we found out that the women in the shop (radar research electronics )were using Lanolin based hand creams.

Unexplained random failed circuit boards and lack of bonding on fibreglass/epoxy bonding.