PDA

View Full Version : Hare & Forbes Lathe WL38

Mulgabill
8th March 2011, 07:00 PM
I have been approached by a local woodturner and was asked my opinion on the Hare & Forbes WL38 Electronic variable speed lathe which he wishes to upgrade from a MC900.

If anyone has any recent experience (good of bad) on the newer model I would like to pass them on. Only found one old thread on the H&F WL38

My recommendation was for a little extra $ a Nova 1624-44, however, the variable speed and 2HP of the WL38 seems to have him hooked. :doh:

Big Shed
8th March 2011, 07:06 PM
I had a look at the WL38 when I was shopping for my new lathe.

In the end I settled on the WL46, much heavier duty lathe with a very heavy stand.

The EVS is very good, in 2 speed ranges, the head is fully movable to the other end for outboard turning, an accessory bed is available ($99) for this purpose.

I wouldn't change mine for any other lathe.

Edit:

You're welcome to come up here with him so he can see for himself.

mkypenturner
8th March 2011, 09:57 PM
save up and get the WL46 our club has 6 of these ( identical copies just diff sticker )
its well woth save up for :!

jchappo
9th March 2011, 08:08 AM
I have had the WL38 for a little over 2 years.

When assembled after delivery, I felt the runout on the main shaft was excessive, but a phone call to H&F resulted in their fitter coming to my home the next day and fixing the problem.

The variable speed is good, although the digital readout is not always accurate, which I don't find a problem as I set the speed according to the feel of the job, not by the numbers. The power is quite capable of handling 16" bowls.

The swivel head is really useful for hollowing boxes and goblets, allowing me to sit on a stool and not lean across the bed. Re- centring of the head is reasonably accurate using the detent ball, but I usually confirm by lining up two centres.

The included outboard turning attachment is very sturdy, and can be attached or removed in about 2 minutes with two large bolts that thread into the end of the bed. The adjustment of the tool rest in this mode is locked with a supplied allen key.

The main banjo could be better, but locks firmly to the bed with a camlock. The tool post is 7/8" diameter, rather than the more popular 1". Vermec (or similar suppliers) will make suitable rests to order. The tail stock is sturdy, locks well to the bed and has auto eject for tapers. The shaft is hollow. Ram extension is adequate.

The drive shaft is 30mm 3.5 thread with #2 morse taper. The shaft is solid, requiring a nut (supplied) to be screwed onto the nose thread in order to eject drive dogs from the taper - not good if you forget to put it on!

Overall, I have been very happy with the lathe.

bowl-basher
9th March 2011, 08:43 AM
I had a good look at the Hare & forbes range as well as Carbatech.... I bought the "cougar" from Trend and am very pleased with my choice
The positive positioning of the head,the ease of changing from low to high range and the lock system on the banjo were all features that influenced my decision to buy this lathe... I have since added an out board rig that allows me to turn 850mm
Not sure who is the dealer in Vic but I am sure ther would be one
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Mulgabill
10th March 2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks jchappo for for honest review and bowl-basher for your comments.

I will pass these and any further replies on to the woody concerned next week and obviously let him make his choice.