PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with power tool cords

NewLou
28th November 2004, 08:37 AM
Recently I bought a circular saw. It was my first 'real power tool' purchase (Hitachi 9C). The 9C is a bit of a BEasT and I must admit I was a bit intimidated
and worried about getting it right safely and trouble free (Don't wanna loose my fingures).

As I flew into giving the 9C her first test run I found myself wondering ggeeeeezzzz what do I do with the power cord. In high school we were taught to place the power cord over your shoulder while using a power tool:

1. So that you know exactly where the power cord is
2. To keep the power cord well outta the way of the power tool being used.

In comparison I have also seen a number of online video's (Mostly American) where they leave the power cord hanging naturally out of the road.

Am wondering what does everyone generally do with powercords when using power tools like Circular Saws; Routers etc etc. Feedback to help me stay safe really appreciated.

Regards Lou

Ian007
28th November 2004, 08:56 AM
workshop has over head power points so leads hang out of the way

if working outside or on site over the shoulder

Cheers Ian :)

E. maculata
28th November 2004, 11:36 AM
What you mean there's a safe power tool :D crikey what is it? where can I buy it? :confused: .......but seriously folks if I'm in the shed overhead power points are the go, outside of the shed over shoulder works fine for me.

journeyman Mick
28th November 2004, 04:29 PM
Lou,
when the saw is being constantly picked up and put down (ie: docking cuts) I generally let the lead dangle. I've usually got the lead coming from behind the saw in this situation. If I'm ripping a board or cutting a sheet of ply etc then I hang the lead over my shoulder.

Mick

ozwinner
28th November 2004, 09:21 PM
I went for "other", just to balance things up.

Al :confused: :D

gatiep
28th November 2004, 10:00 PM
Another poll?

Anyway, when I was at school it was all hand tools. I usually let the cord dangle out of harms way or don't have much of a problem because in my shed I have as many overhead power points as on the wall. 8 double outlets on the wall and 8 doubles on the ceiling including 2 x 15 amp circuits of 1 outlet each. I believe that like clamps, one can never have enough power points.

Oh, and I didn't vote.
:)

Grunt
28th November 2004, 10:22 PM
I usually plug them into a powerpoint.

Ben from Vic.
28th November 2004, 11:08 PM
Pop them in the mouth, Uncle Fester style.

Although I have heard of the Over the Shoulder Power Cord holder, the idea never really sparked off.

Besides, power tools are double insulated now days. :eek: :D

vsquizz
28th November 2004, 11:15 PM
I usually plug them into a powerpoint.
Bugger, Gazumped by 51 minutes:(

Cheers

scooter
29th November 2004, 12:25 AM
You & me both Squizz....damn you and your cotton socks Grunt :mad:

Sean

mat
30th November 2004, 04:11 PM
Regardless of where the cord is make sure you have an earth leakage circuit breaker either on your main electricity board or a portable plug in one.

CHJ
30th November 2004, 05:57 PM
Regardless of where the cord is make sure you have an earth leakage circuit breaker either on your main electricity board or a portable plug in one.
Second that, most important of them all.

This fact for one:

Besides, power tools are double insulated now days. :eek: :D

Has more to do with the fact that manufactures can't guarantee the earth connection (them/user) and twin flex is cheaper than three core.

No earth core protection for operator if you chop the cable.

Chas.

Ben from Vic.
30th November 2004, 11:17 PM
No earth core protection for operator if you chop the cable.

Chas.

Bugger.

I was, of course, joking.

We have one of those supper fast circuit breakers fitted to the house, I rely on that instead. ;)

CHJ
1st December 2004, 02:48 AM
Bugger.

I was, of course, joking.

We have one of those supper fast circuit breakers fitted to the house, I rely on that instead. ;)
You would not believe the number of times I have repaired 'chopped' electric mower cables from people who thought "Double Insulated" mower meant they were not at risk out in the garden.

All new UK installations now have RCB's fitted at incomming main, but of course there are all sorts of protected and unprotected combinations of past installations in the bulk of homes.

Ben from Vic.
1st December 2004, 12:29 PM
Truth is I had been told that Double Insulated meant that I was somehow protected if I cut my own cord. :o

That didn't make me any less carefull though. :eek:

CHJ
1st December 2004, 07:12 PM
Truth is I had been told that Double Insulated meant that I was somehow protected if I cut my own cord. :o

A considerable improvement in dry ideal conditions, but it does rain occasionally here in the UK and motor housings are known to fill with dust/trash etc. over time that can form a path in moist conditions.

I even came across a hedge trimmer where the motor was insulated but the steady handle was attached to the blade housing with a nice strong through bolt!

OH. back to the original thread, drape it over the shoulder when outside, otherwise drape it from the workshop roof on a bungee along with the dust hose.

Chas

barnsey
6th December 2004, 06:17 PM
I use an old Towa 9" saw and an old Wolf 8" - I wouldn't like to risk hanging onto either of them if I cut the cord :eek: - RCD or not - although - whole heartedly agree they are an absolute must in any house - workshop or not. ;)

Jon
9th December 2004, 02:10 PM
I generally hold a loop of cord in my hand while holding onto the handle/trigger for saws, planers etc. I find it helps stop the cord catching on clamps etc.
Drills I just let dangle

I do sometimes also then drape it over my shoulder if I am expecting to have to move a fair distance while using the tool.

I saw my father chew the power cord when using his hand held planer. No series damage done but everytime I pick it up I am reminded of the incident.

For those of you with the overhead power, you must still have some excess cord unless the cords are exactly the right length and you never move.

Jon

beejay1
5th March 2005, 09:01 PM
I do sometimes also then drape it over my shoulder if I am expecting to have to move a fair distance while using the tool.
My dear jon, you ARE extremely well endowed you lucky boy you.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Woodlice
7th March 2005, 03:02 AM
While I was apprenticed I put a 9" grinder through its extension lead (laying curled under the plate I was cutting.) No shock, just one hell of a bang. The bang was enough to make me see white - as if I was gonna faint. Lucky for me the tool was well built I guess.

Over the shoulder from that day forth.

J!

Harry72
7th March 2005, 03:16 AM
Ah that nuthing, when I was a little tacker(bout 4 or 5)I deiced I wanted to see what electricity looks like... grabed mums brand new sissors and cut through my electric blanket cord... ZAP nice welded sissors, lucky they had isulated handles otherwise I wouldnt be typing this!
Mum still has these sissors, she just loves showing everyone when Im around.

Kris.Parker1
22nd March 2005, 04:41 PM
Gotta make sure that cords out of the way, it gets annoying when you are giong through a long cut free hand, hook the cord on a table leg or something sticking out of the bench and snag it causing your table to be six inches shorter!!!