PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Bench Top Face Plates

Cliff Rogers
12th March 2011, 11:31 PM
I scored a bit of kitchen bench top that had been cut out for a sink.

Nice thick water resistant chip board with laminex on one side & melamine on the other.

It wasn't big enough for a router table so I chopped it up into squares on the band saw to turn it into threaded face plates for vacuum chucking.

I have 2 different lathes with 2 different spindle threads so I made 3 for each lathe.

I borrowed a couple of big taps from Jim (powderpost).

I used my big bowl jaws to hold the blank while I marked it out & cut the hole with a small scraper.

I planned to have the laminex side up against the flange on the spindle as I though that side would stand up to the compression of being tightened up longer that the melamine side would.

If you look at the 4th & 5th picture you will see that I made a little step inside the hole for the last bit of un-threaded spindle.

I used a big shifter to hold the tap & get it started on the lathe & then I removed the blank & finished it in my hand.

Once it was threaded, I reversed it onto the lathe spindle & cleaned it up.

I have some epoxy timber preserver that I plan to use to seal the bear chipboard edges & thread. It comes with a thinner so it soaks in & once it is set, I'll get it a couple of days before I stick it back on the lathe so it doesn't end up stuck there.

RETIRED
13th March 2011, 08:50 AM
Neato. You may have to retap after the epoxy Cliff.

artme
13th March 2011, 10:14 AM
Yep! Neat work there Cliff!:):)

I have some bench top but just plai chipboard on the unlaminated side. Might laminate it and give that a go.

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2011, 10:22 AM
Neato. You may have to retap after the epoxy Cliff.
It is very thin runny stuff & it soaks in.

I have used some on ply for sealing ply & apart from the smell of the thinners, I am impressed with it.

I actually bought it to try on some of my turned bowls but haven't got that far yet.

I reckon that I'll be able to get it back on the spindle thread OK & if I don't I know where to go it get the taps back. :)

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2011, 10:27 AM
Yep! Neat work there Cliff!:):)

I have some bench top but just plain chipboard on the unlaminated side. Might laminate it and give that a go.
Ta, if you stick it back to back (plain to plain) it should be good.

artme
13th March 2011, 09:54 PM
Think 40mm thick faceplate is a bit of overkill!:o

Besides, I get more plates just by laminating the back.

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2011, 10:14 PM
The ones I made are about 39mm with the laminex & melamine.
The spindle doesn't stick out the front.

hughie
21st March 2011, 08:40 AM
Cliff, excellent idea and well done, food for thought. :2tsup: