PDA

View Full Version : Glaser gouge

splinter56
13th March 2011, 02:51 AM
First time I have put anything on the woodwork forum so take it gentle with the new guy.I have a red aluminium handled Glaser gouge and it is tending toward the stubby stage and I was wondering how I go about removing the "blade"and replacing it with a similar diameter HSS gouge,any suggestions for replacements eg Mc Jing, P+N unhandled.Cannot give the exact size but more interested in the technique of removing and replacing the blade as I like the feel and balance of the handle.Also have a Glaser screw chuck with a broken screw which tried to contact Americian supplier without success,any help appreciated:U

bobsreturn2003
13th March 2011, 11:43 AM
unfortunately glasser is no longer in business . try a thompson gouge import from usa . look for a grub srew in the handle , cheers Bob

WOODbTURNER
13th March 2011, 01:12 PM
Welcome Splinter,

I replaced my used Glaser 5/8" with a Superflute. I heated the end of the Glaser shaft next to the al. handle and twisted it off. Mine didn't have a grub screw and I can't recall seeing any with one.

Cheers

rsser
13th March 2011, 04:03 PM
Yes, from memory it's fixed with CA so heat releases it.

Doug Thompson carries Glaser replacement shafts: click (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=OTHER)

splinter56
14th March 2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the replies,when I get home I'll check for a grub screw, (can't recall seeing one) if not heating the handle would appear to be the next step,once more thank you:2tsup:

NeilS
14th March 2011, 02:28 PM
+1 Thompson, I understand that they are the nearest thing to Glaser in their metallurgy. Not sure what is closest in flute profile.

rsser
14th March 2011, 04:01 PM
And heat the shaft near the handle, not the handle.

IIRC some crowd took over the rights to the Glaser gouge but did nothing with them.