PDA

View Full Version : Help on a skew??

benupton
15th March 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi there,
Wondering if any one has every had the problem that I have sometimes? When using the skew it sometimes digs in to the work leaving a big scrape? What am I doing wrong? how can I fix it?
Regards Ben

thumb trimmer
15th March 2011, 09:16 PM
Ben,

I've had similar problems ... I'm still far from competent, but my advice (which I'm sure many will attest to here) is to;
1/ search the forum ... there's been many, many, many articles/threads on this topic ... should be easy enough to find, AND
2/ join a local turning club, and get the hands on help (they're invaluable).

good luck ... the skew ... once mastered (from what I've seen on this forum) can leave a beautiful finish off the tool.

RETIRED
15th March 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi there,
Wondering if any one has every had the problem that I have sometimes? When using the skew it sometimes digs in to the work leaving a big scrape? What am I doing wrong? how can I fix it?
Regards BenThink you should come here on Saturday:http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/anybody-129784/

Paul39
16th March 2011, 04:18 AM
Hi there,
Regards Ben

Rolling on the floor laughing.

Skews can not be tamed. They will let you become complacent, and when you are turning the 4th leg from VERY rare and expensive wood, with no extra, some unseen force will drive the skew into the spindle ripping out a huge chunk.

Skews are good for: making tool handles that you don't care about the finish - the spiral incised decoration does not hurt the use of the handle, used like a scraper to make a spigot on a bowl blank to grab in the chuck, opening paint cans, scraping mud off your boots, killing any errant wild life that invades the shed, ground into a bowl scraper.

Seriously, they do make a fine finish, right off the tool. will show you how. With only 1000 hours of practice you will become proficient. Until you try to make the last spindle with the last blank.

RETIRED
16th March 2011, 07:56 AM
Skews are good for: making tool handles that you don't care about the finish - the spiral incised decoration does not hurt the use of the handle, used like a scraper to make a spigot on a bowl blank to grab in the chuck, opening paint cans, scraping mud off your boots, killing any errant wild life that invades the shed, ground into a bowl scraper.

You forgot tomato stakes Paul.:wink:

NCPaladin
16th March 2011, 11:32 AM
Take anything I say with a grain (make that a box) of salt.
If the "big scrape" is basically in one area I suspect you are allowing the long point to get into the wood. This can snatch the tool from your hand or un-mount the spindle. Very dramatic. Try to keep the tool cutting in the lower half of the blade for planning. After Alan Lacers video I also move the tool rest much higher in a planning cut which helped a LOT. With a two inch spindle I am talking about cutting at 11:30 and the rest about 10:30.
If the "big scrape" is the "spiral incised decoration" it is probably from losing the support of the bevel but the point does not dig in. It just skates along the wood.
I have not tried it yet but Dave Hout also brings up the position of your hand on the tool. Hold your hand/forearm flat (straight as if you were about to shake hands with someone) and you can easily rotate it 90*. If you hold the tool (normal for most tools) with the back of your hand pointed to a 2:00 position your hand/wrist will automatically twist before you reach the 90* (Your hand/fingers will be pulled back towards your body). If you place your hand on top of the handle you can make the full 90* without your hand twisting out of alignment. Per Dave this twist usually happens about 2/3 way of rolling a bead. When the hand twist it pulls the bevel from the wood and the cutting edge is still in contact. So again, a "spiral incised decoration" running down the spindle. Makes sense to me.
I recommend Lacers video The Skew, The Dark Side, The Sweet side.
OK you pro’s….have at it.

Ed Reiss
16th March 2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Bupton, don't listen to those guys...a skew is easy-peasy to use:roll::D

...well, on second thought, perhaps listen to a bit of what they're saying...oh hell, they are all spot on and are giving you great advice!!!!

brendan stemp
16th March 2011, 12:49 PM
Buy the last three copies of Australian Woodworker. There is a series of articles on using the skew. Better still, take up 's offer, there aint no better teacher of the skew.