PDA

View Full Version : One month later...

sjm
22nd March 2011, 04:09 PM
Well I've had my lathe for one month now, and have tried to turn as often as possible - most weekends, and some nights after work. I reckon I'm getting the hang of it, and have knocked out some reasonable efforts. It was quite a learning curve, and I was pretty tentative in the beginning, particularly with the dreaded skew, but it's all coming together nicely. I'm still getting catches with end grain, mainly on knots, but it's down to about once per hour, versus once per minute when I first started :U

So, after a month I'll summarise the most important things I've learned:
1. Keep the tools sharp! A sharp tool peels off lovely long shavings and is a joy to work with. At the slightest hint of resistance, re-sharpen!
2. Don't be afraid to re-shape the cutting edge - out of the box, my chisels cut like crap, re-grinding to fingernails made a massive difference, and reduced the catches almost instantly.
3. Keep the bevel rubbing - reduces chatter, catches and results in a smoother finish.
4. Re-adjust the tool rest position as required - higher, lower, in, out - it makes a big difference.
5. When done right, a skew produces a lovely smooth planing cut - it's so much nicer than sanding or scraping. I am determined to master it.

I've attached a few snapshots of some experimental learning pieces. Nothing fancy, just basic shapes and curves, coming to grips with different techniques and methods. A variety of scrap offcuts and fallen branches.

So one month later, I reckon I've got the basics under my belt, but there's still so much more I want to experiment with...

munruben
22nd March 2011, 04:37 PM
You are doing well for just one month at it. Practice makes perfect or so they tell me. Keep at it and you will see your improvements as you progress.
You never stop learning, always a new experience just around the corner and just when you think you have it beat, something happens to let you know that you haven't.
Nice work, Keep it up.:2tsup:

Peter36
22nd March 2011, 05:05 PM
Looks great to me .:2tsup::2tsup:
Which lathe did you buy?

Grommett
22nd March 2011, 07:05 PM
Hey, natural edge after one month of weekend work!! I am impressed. Keep going.
:2tsup::2tsup:

Grommett
22nd March 2011, 07:39 PM
Oh and by the way, what lathe, what tools and how are you sharpening?

Mulgabill
22nd March 2011, 08:05 PM
G'day sjm!

PM sent!

sjm
22nd March 2011, 08:18 PM
Oh and by the way, what lathe, what tools and how are you sharpening?

The economy mini-lathe from Carbatec, and their TJ-3 and TJ-6 chisel sets. I figured it was an inexpensive way to get my feet wet and decide if I want to take it further. After a week or so of struggling with the factory shape, I re-ground all the tools and noticed an immediate improvement. Bit of a commitment though - it's not something you can reverse! Cheap chisels are good for experimenting with different shapes and angles, before handing over the big dollars on quality tools.

Sharpening by hand with an adjustable homemade platform. Been doing it for years with conventional straight chisels, and after watching a couple of YouTube videos, adding the sweep and roll to get a fingernail was a no-brainer. Only takes a couple of seconds, easily repeatable, no long jigs dangling around, and no cost.

Paul39
23rd March 2011, 12:14 PM
sjm,

Very nice! I think you have the addiction.

Ed Reiss
23rd March 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi SJM...welcome to the land of the lost (money, that is!!!)

Doing well for only turning for a month :2tsup:...to avoid getting "stuck" on a certain style, check out some design books or vids for fresh ideas.

Ozkaban
23rd March 2011, 02:10 PM
nice bunch of turnings there... Particularly like the natural edged bowl, first on the second row. unsure about the general shape, but love how it works with the natural edge :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave