PDA

View Full Version : Another Fantastic TurnFest 2011

dai sensei
27th March 2011, 06:34 PM
Well just got home and processed some of the photos of the "display tables".

What a great show, as usual as most would say, but very tiring trying to obsorb so many great learnings from so many expert demonstrators. Food great, accomodation great, demonstrators great. I take my hat off to David for organising this tremendous event with some many top-notch demonstrators from around the world. I have been to quite a few now and I never stop learning.

It was great to catch up with all the demonstrators, old TurnFest addicts, newly converted addicts, and heaps of forumites too :U Got some great deals at the shop too :wink:

Next year is the 10 year anniverserry of TurnFest, so get in early, it's going to be a big one and no doubt get booked out again. David has already annouced next year there will be 40 demonstrators :oo: and run for an extra day to fit things in :2tsup:.

Hopefully other will add photos to this thread.

Cheers

Tony Morton
27th March 2011, 09:54 PM
Hi Neil
:2tsup::2tsup:to David.

Cheers Tony

tea lady
28th March 2011, 08:32 AM
Some great stuff in there! I see a pepper grinder! :cool: And a few other people's work I recognize! :U

:think: How was that red bowl done? The one that look like all bits going every which way and mostly holes?

Rum Pig
28th March 2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the update Neil and some good photos:2tsup::2tsup:
One day one day I will get there one day:rolleyes::rolleyes:

kcam
28th March 2011, 10:38 AM
Dave has done it again with a fantastic:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:, inspirational presentation with something for everyone from the basics to advanced. The instant gallery gave an insight to the developed journey of attendees that presented their creations for public review the inspirations of past Turnfest demonstrators has influenced many of the items on display and I would have to say that they l are of world class and a credit to all.
Photos of all demonstrator pieces are not available to post here but I will include a few for those that missed out on tis years event.
2012 Turnfest is going to be an event NOT to be missed, get on to David Drescher now and book in, a four day event with 40 international and Australian wood artists that will inspire.
Tea lady come along and see how all those holes are made.
Dave congratulations again :):2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers
Kerry

kcam
28th March 2011, 10:46 AM
A few more pics that missed out in my last post :rolleyes: Kerry

kcam
28th March 2011, 07:39 PM
More Turnfest pics :2tsup:

WOODY70
28th March 2011, 09:27 PM
Well just got home and processed some of the photos of the "display tables".

What a great show, as usual as most would say, but very tiring trying to obsorb so many great learnings from so many expert demonstrators. Food great, accomodation great, demonstrators great. I take my hat off to David for organising this tremendous event with some many top-notch demonstrators from around the world. I have been to quite a few now and I never stop learning.

It was great to catch up with all the demonstrators, old TurnFest addicts, newly converted addicts, and heaps of forumites too :U Got some great deals at the shop too :wink:

Next year is the 10 year anniverserry of TurnFest, so get in early, it's going to be a big one and no doubt get booked out again. David has already annouced next year there will be 40 demonstrators :oo: and run for an extra day to fit things in :2tsup:.

Hopefully other will add photos to this thread.

Cheers

Hi Neil
:2tsup::2tsup:to David.

Cheers Tony

Dave has done it again with a fantastic:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:, inspirational presentation with something for everyone from the basics to advanced. The instant gallery gave an insight to the developed journey of attendees that presented their creations for public review the inspirations of past Turnfest demonstrators has influenced many of the items on display and I would have to say that they l are of world class and a credit to all.
Photos of all demonstrator pieces are not available to post here but I will include a few for those that missed out on tis years event.
2012 Turnfest is going to be an event NOT to be missed, get on to David Drescher now and book in, a four day event with 40 international and Australian wood artists that will inspire.
Tea lady come along and see how all those holes are made.
Dave congratulations again :):2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers
Kerry

Thanks for the complements guys.
Great Job with the Gallery Kerry. Thankx for the help.

I enjoy putting the event on for everyone.
Thankyou.

Regards
David

Swino
28th March 2011, 10:53 PM
This was my second Turnfest.

I enjoyed myself immensely and can't wait till next year - it is sure shaping up to be the best one yet.

Anyone that has ever considered going should make next year a priority!!

dai sensei
28th March 2011, 11:40 PM
:think: How was that red bowl done? The one that look like all bits going every which way and mostly holes?

Not sure which one you refer to, but a lot are examples of piecing, from last year's TurnFest. Texturing, carving, burning, guilding, painting and many other enhancements to turning are demonstarted at TurnFest

As Kerry says, you should come to the next one! My mind is still spinning with ideas for my next piece.

thompy
29th March 2011, 04:14 AM
if i were to guess at the wood all over the place with holes everwhere i'd say its the rosewood? coloured one on centre table http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/165534d1301211249-another-fantastic-turnfest-2011-tf11-5.jpg

kcam
29th March 2011, 08:10 AM
The sphere inside a sphere is an incredible piece Terry Martin included it in his critique and the method of turning and piercing had him wondering as well, I had the pleasure of handling it and asking how it was done,,,,,and unless the owner tells how he achieved the perfect result I will leave you guessing. :?

thompy
29th March 2011, 03:34 PM
Sphere in sphere i'd be using a pin vise on many axis and using small L shaped tools. However i think Tea lady was referring to the one i mentioned beside the sphere, it caught my eye as well.

tea lady
29th March 2011, 04:22 PM
Not sure which one you refer to,

The red one in the middle of this pic! :pi:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/165534d1301211249-another-fantastic-turnfest-2011-tf11-5.jpg

Jim Carroll
29th March 2011, 05:18 PM
That one was a bowl turned thin then the holes were cut out.

It was then painted or airbrushed. I have seen one like this where the airbrushing was done to look like it was layered.

kcam
29th March 2011, 07:59 PM
Ok, I will be kind and tell how the sphere in sphere was done, seeing that those that were privy to the Turnfest critique already know.....the spheres were turned and pierced in 2 sections then reassembled, a magnificent piece of skill and the joins could not be detected by me or Terry Martin...again a brilliant piece of turning.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Kerry

Swino
29th March 2011, 10:16 PM
The red piece was done by a member of our club. It was a bowl turned thin and then pieces carved out of it.

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2011, 10:31 PM
Ok, I will be kind and tell how the sphere in sphere was done, seeing that those that were privy to the Turnfest critique already know.....the spheres were turned and pierced in 2 sections then reassembled, a magnificent piece of skill and the joins could not be detected by me or Terry Martin...again a brilliant piece of turning.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Kerry
David Springett does it in one piece. :wink:
He shows you how in his book.
Buy Woodturning Wizardry, Revised Edition at Woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005724/17407/Woodturning-Wizardry-Revised-Edition.aspx)

lintonA
1st April 2011, 12:44 PM
Hi, the cut out bowl was turned by myself, it was turned to abour 3-4mil then cut out with a jigsaw (very carefully), cleaned up with a fine diamond file by hand, took a long time. It is Jacaranda stained with Mulberry and the edges are painted black. I am very happy with the result.

kcam
1st April 2011, 03:05 PM
Welcome lintonA, you should be very pleased with the result it is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and a definite prize winner, well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Kerry

lintonA
3rd April 2011, 11:26 AM
The red one in the middle of this pic! :pi:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/165534d1301211249-another-fantastic-turnfest-2011-tf11-5.jpg
Hi tea lady, the red one was my bowl, it was turned, then pierced with a jig saw (carefully) Jacaranda stained with mulberry, it was a very slow and enjoyable process

evowood
18th April 2011, 03:26 PM
what a fantastic few days . great turners, great venue, great people, great organisation and the organiser and his offsiders were fantastic. Well done David and your crew.
I have paid my deposit and will see you next year.
All the best from WA, Evo