PDA

View Full Version : Chuck insert thread

benupton
3rd April 2011, 09:50 PM
Hi there,
I have a Teknatool Midi chuck, and am needing to find out what the thread size and pitch of the chuck end of the inserts are. I need to know so I can get one turned to fit my lathe. Can you help.
Regards Ben

Manuka Jock
3rd April 2011, 09:58 PM
You may find the info here
Teknatool Chuck Support Page (http://www.teknatool.com/support/Chuck%20Support%20Page.htm)
or here
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm

benupton
3rd April 2011, 10:05 PM
Sorry but I am looking for the thread in the back of the chuck.

Manuka Jock
3rd April 2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry but I am looking for the thread in the back of the chuck.
If that info is not on the website , email them and ask .

They do have blank inserts that can be threaded to suit your lathe

INSERT N ---- Blank. Can be threaded up to 28mm (1 1/8? to match your lathe size -------

RETIRED
3rd April 2011, 10:30 PM
I think the midi only came with a 1" thread. Can't remember whether it was 8 or 10 TPI.

Jim will answer when he sees it.

Jim Carroll
3rd April 2011, 11:37 PM
The midi chuck came with dedicated threads

Have a look at the body near the thread and see if there is a letter or number C, D, 9 etc

If not take it to a nut and bolt store and see what fits.

benupton
4th April 2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks, cant find a letter, what I will need to do is get a thread turned to fit the chuck and screw in to the lathe, the lathe has some strange way of doing this.
There is no male thread on the head stock, the drive and face plate has the thread and screws directly in to the head stock.

RETIRED
4th April 2011, 09:21 AM
Where do you live? I can have a look if you like.

thompy
4th April 2011, 09:27 AM
Ben,
If you have a drive centre or a faceplate that fits/suits the lathe headstock now (with the male thread on em), and the midi chuck that doesn't fit (but has the female thread in it) you've got enough to take it to any competant engineer type and have them manufacture something for you.

Let them work out the threading, its their job, have them tell you what they are. Make sure to ask for flat sections between the two threads or use hex bar so you can tighten it all up.

Neal.

benupton
4th April 2011, 09:56 PM
Where do you live? I can have a look if you like.
Thanks , it should be right.

This is just to show people what the things are

NOTE: I understand that the lathe is rather small and the chuck is almost larger than it:D. And that it may not be worth geting an insert made. But this is all that have room for in the shed, so until the new shed is built this is all that I have.

The first picture is of the way the drive screws in to the head stock, as you will see it is back to front to a regular lathe.

The second picture is of the chuck with the drive in it.

And the third and forth is of the chuck and drive.

I have an M30 3.5 insert so maybe could work something out with that?
Regards Ben

RETIRED
4th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Easy as. Take the thread from the drive spur and your chuck to an engineering shop and have them turn a spigot thread on the "into" headstock end and a 30mm midi thread on the other end "tailstock".

Jim Carroll
4th April 2011, 11:06 PM
Ben now I am confused .
You have an original nova chuck with an insert in the back and this has a male adaptor sticking out of it to fit into the spindle of the lathe you have.

What do you want.

Seriously though to get something made is going to cost a lot, better of putting the money towards a woodfast midi lathe and get something that is more usefull

benupton
5th April 2011, 08:28 AM
Ben now I am confused .
You have an original nova chuck with an insert in the back and this has a male adaptor sticking out of it to fit into the spindle of the lathe you have.

What do you want.

Seriously though to get something made is going to cost a lot, better of putting the money towards a woodfast midi lathe and get something that is more usefull

The chuck was just to show the confused people how it would look.
To make one I would just take it up to my Grandpa and he would probably help me out.
I have weekly access to a woodfast C1000X, But for home now this would be just for turning small items.