PDA

View Full Version : gluing steel rods in wood.

JDarvall
11th April 2011, 05:50 PM
On request I've been asked every so kindly to make a rolling pin with bearings.

in anycase my concern is what glue to use to lock up steel hardware in wood.

.........got steel rod going into a handle...(1st pic of an experiment) Tight hammer fit. I don't want the rod spinning (and hoping glue will be enough that I don't have to pin it somehow) ...wondering what glue....epoxy ?

and got bearings going into the main body.(2nd pic).....Definetly thinking epoxy will work here cause I can see it going off spilling around the bearings locking it up, so the bearings won't (shouldn't fingers crossed) come out.

the bearings won't slip on the rod because I'm using a loctite product. Already tried taking one off and happy with it. Wrecked a bearing trying to get it off.

Just the rod in the handle I'm wondering about. ? Don't want it to ever come out.

appreciate any thoughts

ta
Jake

nine fingers
11th April 2011, 06:17 PM
Jake, If you roughen the rod to give the epoxy something to grip to you will have no problems. When I have joined a handle to a walking stick, I used a thick super glue, slow drying , plenty of time to get it lined up and cramped.
regards NF

Ironwood
11th April 2011, 06:23 PM
Cording to this bloke, this stuff is the Ducks Coconuts -:wink:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/mitre-bond-now-available-australia-133837/

AlexS
11th April 2011, 07:08 PM
Yep, I'd go epoxy. Roughen the rod, don't make it too tight - ie not a force fit, and clean both surfaces with metho or acetone before you glue it up.

crowie
11th April 2011, 07:29 PM
G'Day Jake,
You might be able to "knurl" the rod at the position for the bearing to give you an interference fit.
Cheers, Crowie

sjm
11th April 2011, 08:21 PM
Also consider cutting some thin slices into the end of the rod to make barbs like a fishing hook. Use a thin hacksaw, and bend them out with a screwdriver. The rod will go in okay, but it'll never come out. The harder you pull, the deeper they dig in.

Paul39
12th April 2011, 04:22 AM
I agree with the above, scratching the rod with 50 or 60 grit sandpaper and epoxy.

FenceFurniture
12th April 2011, 05:38 AM
Polyurethane glue will also do a good job. I use it for Stainless rods in spotted gum regularly. Pretty good working time too.

FenceFurniture
12th April 2011, 05:40 AM
Cording to this bloke, this stuff is the Ducks Coconuts -:wink:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/mitre-bond-now-available-australia-133837/

Not any more he doesn't!

Ironwood
12th April 2011, 06:58 AM
Not any more he doesn't!

Yeah, looks like he was shot down in flames :)

JDarvall
12th April 2011, 07:07 AM
thanks for the thoughts.

think what I might do is buy grade 8.8 bolts and use it as the shaft. And put the thread end into the handle. Plenty of places for the epoxy to grip onto there.

ta.

RETIRED
12th April 2011, 08:01 AM
I don't think they need to be high tensile, ordinary ones will do.

FenceFurniture
12th April 2011, 08:21 AM
So what are we gonna roll here? Bitumen?

FenceFurniture
12th April 2011, 08:23 AM

Axe wielding Mongrel? Yeah, I can see that.

RETIRED
12th April 2011, 08:55 AM
Huh?

FenceFurniture
12th April 2011, 09:14 AM
Right, said the Yorkshireman. Had to go out t' back 'n ponder this little problem wi' gasper. Our Dad made one once - 'e got a length of 8" gas mains (3/4" wall), filled it wi' concrete (and lots of blue metal, burred internal wall so it wouldn't coom out). Next, 'e put 'igh tensile bolts in concrete (while it were wet o' course, 'e wern't silly, Our Dad). We 'ad old troock darn t' back yard, and our Dad got front wheel bearings from it, rigged 'em oop on t' HT bolts, and put on 1'' M2 steel 'andles. Our Moom said it were best pastry roller she'd ever used. And you shoulda seen t' pastry. It were so thin, even the thick bits were thin.

Coopla years later Our Mum said she were going to gi' it to Our Susan as wedding present, cause it were so good. Our Dad said "eh Our Mum, wot you gonna use if you gi' it to Our Susan? Ah like t' pastry you make wi' that!". Well, Our Mum was prepared for this and she said, "Well Our Dad, Ah been selling soom of them pastries an' been savin' oop t' pennies, an' now we can get one of these (http://xml.catmms.com/servlet/ImageServlet?imageId=C496429&imageType=2), an' wot's even better YOU can make t' pastry from now on!

Hey, sorry about that Apricot, but I think you might have started a right royal pisstake. AND WE'RE JUST THE CHAPS!:D

JDarvall
12th April 2011, 01:13 PM

I thought that too, but then I put a regular 8mm bolt over a table top......clamped it down and pushed down on it hard like a cook might on some mission.....and...it...bent a little... I figured enough of that and the odd husband bashing and the things labelled ......' a piece of ####.....who made this ####ing thing ! ..'

RETIRED
12th April 2011, 01:32 PM
Fair enough Jake. Must be tough cooks up your way.:D

Jim Carroll
12th April 2011, 01:39 PM
One big problem with this or should I say 2 problems

Flour is dusty

Clean up is usually in water and it does not mater who tells ya they allways put the thing in a sink full of water.

Bearings dont like both issues.

JDarvall
12th April 2011, 04:42 PM
One big problem with this or should I say 2 problems

Flour is dusty

Clean up is usually in water and it does not mater who tells ya they allways put the thing in a sink full of water.

Bearings dont like both issues.

good point. but I think they still flog them with bearings. seen some big marble ones. etc.

shouldn't be a problem though. I'll just build in little greese nipples. load em up with grease before I send them off. should add some nice flovour to croissants. :rolleyes:

FenceFurniture
12th April 2011, 05:56 PM
We us't clean Our Mum's w' a 'igh pressure water thingy.