PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast mini or jet midi lathe??

INVENTOR
13th April 2011, 01:18 PM
I am thinking of buying a midi lathe ( already have bigger lathe)
Can anyone help with info ? The Vicmarc is too $ to justify, so at this stage its down to two ( although tell me if I am missing something)
The Woodfast m305 and the Jet midi 1220 (the mini model is too small for what I want)

I have 30mm gear so the Woodfast gets one vote ( I don't think the Jet has 30mm spindle ?)
I realize there is a difference in motor power ( I am looking at non variable speed- I know V speed is good)
Do they have similar size drive belts/ head stock bearings etc. eg: are they similar? or do you spend the extra for the jet?

any help, much appreciated.

Jim Carroll
13th April 2011, 01:53 PM
Woodfast wins hands down in the comparo

Vicmarc is really way above all these in quality and worth the extra $$$$$$

INVENTOR
13th April 2011, 03:40 PM
thanks Jim, have you any experience with the Jet? re belt sizes bearings etc.
Sure Vicmarc are great, but the Woodfast are sooo cheap. Hard to go past if you are only using it ever so often.

Avery
13th April 2011, 05:20 PM
I have had my Woodfast for just over 12 months now (secondhand when I got it), and I just love it. I can't give you a comparison, but I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

INVENTOR
13th April 2011, 05:57 PM
thanks Avery, does it have much 'power' eg: does the belt slip etc or anything like that if you turn something near its capacity. eg: 300mm in diam.
I know they are only a 'smallish' lathe but not much point having a big swing if the belt slips etc.

Jim Carroll
13th April 2011, 06:23 PM
The woodfast has very good power for its size.

You have to remember with any of these smaller lathes that you take smaller cuts.

The belts have good drive but when set up properly will slip slightly to give you an escape route.

You never overtighten poly v belts.

If you need more power then get a lot larger lathe These are not called midi lathes for nothing or if you want power in the midi lathe then you need the Vicmarc VL150 (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/vicmarc-vl150sm-evs-lathe)

Respect the machinery

artme
13th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Inventor, I was talking to Gary Pye's young fellow alst week. Gary is adding a midi to his own brand of lathes. As you are in Nth. NSW it might be worth a phone call or e-mail to him.

Otherwise, Jim is spot on!:)

powderpost
13th April 2011, 08:30 PM
I had a jet mini lathe and replaced with a Woodfast midi. The Jet was a bit small and I found I didn't need the variable speed on a small lathe. The Woodfast midi I bought without the variable speed option. I thought the price of the variable model a bit high. Speed changing on the Woodfast is quite easy and quick.

I will admit that variable speed is very handy on a "full" size machine.

Both machines could do with a bit more power, but as has been said before, you have a pony not a draught horse.

I am very happy with the Woodfast machine.

Jim

issatree
13th April 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi INVENTOR,
What Jim & Powderpost say are correct as far as I can see. Know of 2 Chaps this end with W/Fast, & they could not be happier.
The Black Plastic Cover over the Belt Compartment is Brilliant, as it just slips away from you & there is the Belt. If it breaks the new belt is a breeze to put on, where as my Leda Craft belt change would take 1/2hr.
The only other thing is that there are 2 Woodfasts. 1 you buy comes from W/F in Adelaide, & it is the dinkydi Lathe, that says "Woodfast Australia".
The other 1, is most likely the most common, & nothing wrong with it at all, BUT don't ring the People in Adelaide to fix it, if something goes wrong, because they will not.

Avery
13th April 2011, 09:46 PM
thanks Avery, does it have much 'power' eg: does the belt slip etc or anything like that if you turn something near its capacity. eg: 300mm in diam.
I know they are only a 'smallish' lathe but not much point having a big swing if the belt slips etc.

I have turned a few platters at near maximum size with no problems. You have to be a bit more delicate with your cuts than you would with a full sized lathe, but that is just the way it goes. If you really get into it with a big bowl blank and a big gouge, the motor will struggle and the belt might slip, but that will be the way it is for any small lathe. The only other lathe that I use fairly often is an old but well maintained Hafco WL18, the little yellow Woodfast is better in every way. If we were comparing cars, I guess you would call it power to weight ratio.

INVENTOR
13th April 2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. I know that they are not large lathes and when turning you would need to keep that in mind. but with a modest size belt/pulleys and motor they potentially could do reasonable work, given the 300 swing

I think I can easily justify the non variable speed version, particularly given the belt/pulley is so accessible and there is a big jump in price.

I have seen the Jet Midi at Gary Pye ( he has sold them for some time but if they are still not 30mm spindle ( not sure) then it does make it more difficult for me ( changing chuck adapters etc)

Treecycle
13th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Inventor, the Jet 1220 lathe is a 1" x 10 TPI spindle thread.

watsrags
14th April 2011, 12:17 AM
I have turned a Jarrah bowl 280mm x 180mm on my Woodfast M305 with NO slipage of the belt . The Lathe is now 2 years old have not replace any part.
I bought it from woodfast in Adelaide cost me $30 more then other places was asking for it at the time. Was evey happy with the service I got from Woodfast. AND if it breaks down Woodfast will assist me in repairs and parts which the othe place could not.

I have no intests in Woodfast in any way but as a very happy customer
Trevor

BobL
14th April 2011, 12:42 AM
I have had the woodfast for just over 3 years.

My tailstock camlock snapped about the third time I used it. I didn't bother getting a replacement but instead made a newer, thicker one.

The headstock indexing gear grub screw kept self loosening and rattling around and being loathe to use locktite on it I added another - seems to be OK

Other than that I have worked it hard and for such a small lathe it seems to have coped reasonably well.

INVENTOR
14th April 2011, 07:41 PM
thanks guys for your responses, sounds like some 'happy Woodfast customers'.
:U

eisbaer
15th April 2011, 01:23 PM
I own a jet 1220 and love it. If I were buying one right now though I'd go woodfast because of price. When I got my 1220 a few years back it was very well priced, but they seem very expensive now compared to many.

underfoot
16th April 2011, 07:45 AM
I am thinking of buying a midi lathe .
Dang...I have a Jet midi sitting around here doing nothing...shoulda said something when you dropped in the other day :doh:

Pariss
16th April 2011, 08:08 AM
I'm only new to turning, and I went with the Woodfast M305 + the bed extension from the Adelaide suppliers. Great lathe & great service from supplier. Very happy with it, and didn't damage the wallet too badly. :2tsup:

INVENTOR
16th April 2011, 09:25 AM
Dang...I have a Jet midi sitting around here doing nothing...shoulda said something when you dropped in the other day :doh:
If you had seen how much stuff I had in the boot/car, I was lucky to fit in.:U