PDA

View Full Version : Lathes

Ron
29th September 2000, 10:18 PM
As a brand new woodturner who doesn't yet own any of the tools or equipment needed, I am after some ideas on type/brand/size of lathe to start with.
My first project will be a large number of lace making bobbins to support my wife's newest hobby with progression later to other smallish objects.
Have checked out the Vicmarc VL 100 and am investigating the new Teknatool Mercury mini.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

John Saxton
29th September 2000, 10:41 PM
G,day Ron,There are now on the market quite a range of lathes as you would be well aware of in both the small range as well as the large,a couple of the small ones which you have mentioned are good quality for your Oz dollar.Some of the others are worthy of a look also are;

Carba-Tec
Jet
Durden
AND........there are now and becoming more popular the ranges of bowl turning lathes fairly pricey but more flexible with add-ons etc.
In using this BB you have taken the right step in researching your needs.Suggest you look at all posts since the inception where you may find more info to suit your requirements.
May I also add that if you can get to a woodworking show or woodturning show you will find reams of info to help you out ...but for the asking.
Cheers hope this helps http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 29 September 2000).]

Graeme
30th September 2000, 12:45 AM
Vicmarc have stopped production of the VL100 for the time being and a new improved model is due for release in December (no details yet).

Regards Graeme