PDA

View Full Version : Favourite woodturning DVDs

jefferson
19th April 2011, 07:22 PM
I've just ordered a few of Jimmy Clewes DVDs from Jim Carroll - and have been assured I won't be disappointed. Having seen Jimmy live at Turnfest 2011, I'm sure the sets will be great.

The new additions will expand my growing collection, which includes some of Mike Darlow, Cindy Drozda and Richard Raffan.

Anyone got some favourites too that we should be looking at? I've seen a little of Mike Mahoney on the tube and he seems worthwhile. Not sure about the others, so any constructive feedback would be great.

Pat
19th April 2011, 08:13 PM
Hello Jeff, how you been?

My favorites, which I get to re watch every once in a while, due to infrequent turning at the moment are

Keith Rowley - A Foundation Course
Del Stubbs - Bowl Turning
Richard Raffan - Turning Wood

I also refer to Richard Raffan's Turned Bowl Design for inspiration, then make a hash of it:doh:

Has Ken been persuaded to make a video yet?

Jim Carroll
19th April 2011, 08:42 PM
Has Ken been persuaded to make a video yet?

They dont have a macro lens small enough yet :D

jefferson
19th April 2011, 10:33 PM
Still here Pat. :2tsup: Not turning enought, but practicing when in the mood.

In fact I have a few pirated copies of Ken W. demonstrating down in Victoria.

Trust me, he's as good on DVD as he is live.

Must talk him into going commercial and doing it properly in due course. Apparently Jimmy Clewes has clocked over $1M in sales from his DVDs, so the market must stand it.

artme
20th April 2011, 07:45 AM
I can reccomend Mike Darlow's videos AND books!

Randir
20th April 2011, 11:07 AM
I'll second the endorsement for Keith Rowley's Woodturning: A foundation course. I'm only just learning and it is an excellent beginners guide, and I suspect it will be useful past being a raw beginner as well.

BamBam53
21st April 2011, 07:41 PM
When I started learning I watched:

Del Stubbs - Bowl Turning
Mike Darlow - The Practice of Wood turning
Richard Raffan - Turning Wood and Turning Projects
Dennis White - Dennis White Teaches Wood turning parts 1 to 4.

I found Dennis White really good. He was apprenticed as a wood turner in 1920 and was still working when he made the tapes in 1985.

Mike Darlow is also good but if I put my head down while watching him I fall asleep.