PDA

View Full Version : Original Turner - Unused

Wooden Mechanic
23rd April 2011, 12:18 AM
Hi all,

I have an unused No. 5 1/2 Tuner. It is still in it's original box and is wrapped in its original wax paper, complete with Guarantee and Authentication tag. This was given to me by a dear elderly friend who unfortunately passed and in turn I lost interest in Woodworking.

I am no longer actively Woodworking as such and am selling most of my Tooling and Timber. I would like to sell the Turner to a collector instead of a everyday wood worker as it will be much more appreciated by the collector, though I am stuck on price. Whilst I do not wish to be a greedy sod, I would like to get a reasonable price for the plane.

I really do not have, or have not seen a similar item to this anywhere so do not have a gauge to the price of it. Can anyone help?

Ive got a few pictures here if it will help in the assesment of the Value.

Pac man
23rd April 2011, 12:23 AM
Pommyphil is a collector of Turner planes who made a request for Turner planes back in Jan here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f228/turner-planes-129388/).

I suggest you contact him via pm.

Pac man
23rd April 2011, 12:48 AM
Another thought you could contact the West Australian hand tool preservation society (http://sites.google.com/site/handtoolswa/)

pommyphil
23rd April 2011, 03:07 PM
Amazing ! I'd think the only way to price it would be an auction ? ebay ?:oo:

Certainly worth a few hundred. If you have a 6, 7 and 220 for sale give me some

warning and I'll sell a few grandchildren. :D Good Luck Phil.

Wooden Mechanic
24th April 2011, 04:44 PM
I would love to auction it, but im not greedy. I would love to see this plane go to a collector who knows the value and will aprreciate the item for what it is. I have no idea on price but was told it was worth ~300-500 by a fellow woodworker who collected Turners as working planes.

If only Phil, I wouldn't have to work for a while if that was the case!

Thank you Pac Man for the link, I will email them tonight, they were just the organization i was looking for, one that will appreciate the item. I hope they can value the item for me.

I'll let you know,
Harlan

pommyphil
24th April 2011, 04:47 PM
As a matter of interest what blade's in it? I've got them with Titan HSS,Berg,Berg Turner & Turner ?

Cheers Phil

Wooden Mechanic
24th April 2011, 04:58 PM
The Blade Has an inscription on the top of it saying 'TURNER' Ill have another look now and double check.

Wooden Mechanic
24th April 2011, 05:04 PM
'Tuner'
'Made in Australia'
'Hardness Tested Steel'

All that was written on the Blade Phil.

pommyphil
24th April 2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that :) Cheers Phil.

Pat
24th April 2011, 05:27 PM
Do we hear the sound of Phil's knees and wallet wavering:U?

FRB Design
24th April 2011, 05:33 PM
PM sent

Wooden Mechanic
24th April 2011, 05:53 PM
Email has been sent to the Hand Tool Preservation Society about a possible auction or the valuation of the Plane.

Keeping things open right now in the interest of myself and collectors.

Will let everyone know how it goes,
Harlan

Wooden Mechanic
25th April 2011, 11:47 AM
I have recieved and email back from the Preservation Society.

I was reffered to a member named Steve. Steve is an Australian Tool collector and is an avid turner collector. He also often does Australian Tool display's at the Working with Wood shows for the Society. I will be in contact with Steve and will have a discussion on the value of the plane.

I also asked the Society if an auction was possible for all members but would rather the tool go to a collector that is a prominent Australian Tool collector and will allow this plane to be shown off.

I will let you all know the outcome as soon as I know. I will contact Steve tomorrow as I will be paying my respects to the fallen shortly.

Thanks,
Harlan.

Sapling
27th April 2011, 10:46 PM
Lovely plane and well worth the trouble you are taking to put it in the right hands.

Pac man
15th May 2011, 11:21 PM
Any outcome yet WM?