PDA

View Full Version : White finial?

tea lady
24th April 2011, 06:23 PM
What wood do you reckon? :hmm: Maybe some dead finish sap wood? :hmm: Not going to extreme lengths so maybe a bit of lemon wood or holly? :)

blue3.3
24th April 2011, 06:25 PM
have you considered white beech

wheelinround
24th April 2011, 06:27 PM
Jacaranda

stuffy
24th April 2011, 06:30 PM
Hickory?

Claw Hama
24th April 2011, 06:33 PM
Silver Ash

maņana
24th April 2011, 08:34 PM
Hi TL
I suggest you try Boxelder (Acer Negundo), beautiful white colour and lovely to turn as well.
Mick C.

TTIT
24th April 2011, 10:19 PM
Norfolk Island Hibiscus :2tsup: Natural colour - no treatment required! PM me if you're interested TL.

Harry72
24th April 2011, 10:20 PM
Bit of white corian :)

tea lady
24th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Norfolk Island Hibiscus :2tsup: Natural colour - no treatment required! PM me if you're interested TL.:think: Could be the go! What is the difference between Norfolk island Hibiscus and other hibiscus? :hmm:

Bit of white corian :):p

All other suggestions..... will have a look in my stash. Might have some White beech and silver ash. (although I think that might be too corse grained. :think: )

issatree
25th April 2011, 02:22 AM
Hi Anna Maria,
My Selection would be Variegated Potosporum, as most of it is very White.

Claw Hama
25th April 2011, 08:30 AM
:hmm:Or make a ceramic one miss ceramicist, could put a nice twist to your finial:shrug::U

Tony Morton
25th April 2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Tea Ladie

Missen timbers at Burnie has Cheese wood and tallowood which are both very white.
Cheers Tony

tea lady
25th April 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Tea Ladie

Missen timbers at Burnie has Cheese wood and tallowood which are both very white.
Cheers Tony
Cheese wood is pitasporum isn't it? I like there is some in my nirghbour's fire wood pile.:D And we turn tollowood at 's. I wouldn't have called it white. :C But at least I know where I can get some!:cool::D

(Tea ladie? :hmm: .....:D)

tea lady
25th April 2011, 10:04 AM
Hi TL
I suggest you try Boxelder (Acer Negundo), beautiful white colour and lovely to turn as well.
Mick C.
Might have some of this in my stash! Its got "maybe" written on it to though. :think: Fairly white at least, but seems a bit soft. :C

ticklingmedusa
25th April 2011, 12:37 PM
Holly, ash , myoporum .
Bleaching might be another option.

tea lady
25th April 2011, 12:49 PM
Holly, ash , myoporum .
Bleaching might be another option.
myoporum? :think: will have to google.:D

Myoporum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoporum)

:? Boobiala? I thought it was quite small. :think: I guess there are lots of differant types. And I only need little bits.:think: :cool:

springwater
25th April 2011, 04:31 PM
Might have some of this in my stash! Its got "maybe" written on it to though. Fairly white at least, but seems a bit soft. :C

Maybe that was my maybe :? I got some boxelder from Vesper a while ago, pretty pale with pink streaks that I thought went in :- There's some poplar burl in there too, I think :- (also from Vesper) that's white. Got some lemon here that I could leave with if you don't need it right NOW now :whatonearth:

turnerted
25th April 2011, 04:50 PM
Privet. It doesn't come much whiter and a good use for a weed .

Ted

tea lady
25th April 2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe that was my maybe :? I got some boxelder from Vesper a while ago, pretty pale with pink streaks that I thought went in :- There's some poplar burl in there too, I think (also from Vesper) that's white. Got some lemon here that I could leave with if you don't need it right NOW now :whatonearth::think: I think so!:cool: The poplar I've already made some darn fine little bowls out of! :U (Got any more? :D )

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/152410d1289183685-pair-poplar-burl-bowls-poplarburlbowls1.jpg

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/152414d1289183685-pair-poplar-burl-bowls-poplarburlbowls5.jpg

I've got a bit of lemon I will try! :cool: Thanks Spring! :kiss:

tea lady
25th April 2011, 05:10 PM

TedThat would be good.I think I even have a bit in the garden. :doh: :U

mkypenturner
25th April 2011, 06:16 PM
what about some antler ??? if theirs any dark bits bleach it

springwater
25th April 2011, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=tea lady;1308302]:think: I think so!:cool: The poplar I've already made some darn fine little bowls out of! :U (Got any more? :D )

Nup, unless a thimble is a bowl, Vesper is having a shed clear-out though he may have some :cool: I'm out of sync spondoolicks wise though :(

texx
25th April 2011, 08:11 PM
pecan would be one i would consider fairly hard timber .

tea lady
25th April 2011, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=tea lady;1308302] I'm out of sync spondoolicks wise though :(.....:? spondoolicks ?:hmm:

pecan would be one i would consider fairly hard timber .:think: Ah yes! Maybe I have a bit of fruit wood about the place. Apple maybe. :cool:

Pac man
25th April 2011, 10:45 PM
spondoolicks = cash , dollars etc

tea lady
25th April 2011, 11:06 PM
spondoolicks = cash , dollars etc:doh: Of course! I have trouble in that department too! :rolleyes:

robyn2839
26th April 2011, 07:10 PM
definitely jacaranda, looks very white.....bob

TTIT
26th April 2011, 11:07 PM

TedHave heard the same somewhere - where does one get hold of a chunk Ted :U:;

:think: Could be the go! What is the difference between Norfolk island Hibiscus and other hibiscus? :hmm: Norfolk Island Hibiscus (lagunaria patersonia) isn't really a Hibiscus at all. It's a sub-tropical rainforest tree that is native to Qld and Norfolk Island but is planted as a street tree all over the place - even Lakes Entrance!!! Keep your eyes peeled - I'm even growing 2 in the backyard to ensure future stock :U

dai sensei
26th April 2011, 11:42 PM
Holly or the Norfolk Isl Hibiscus are probably the best. I have neither unfortunately, but I do have Bonewood, that works if you turn it carefully and do not scrape. It is not a fine grained timber, but with careful cuts and sanding can look good.

The below piece's finial, rim and legs are from Bonewood, some spalted slightly.

Let me know if you want me to give some for you to try.

Cheers

tea lady
27th April 2011, 12:22 AM
Let me know if you want me to give some for you to try.

Cheers:U That would be great! He's up that way soon isn't he! :2tsup: Exactly what tree is Bonewood from? :think:

tea lady
27th April 2011, 12:33 AM
Have heard the same somewhere - where does one get hold of a chunk Ted :U:;

Norfolk Island Hibiscus (lagunaria patersonia) isn't really a Hibiscus at all. It's a sub-tropical rainforest tree that is native to Qld and Norfolk Island but is planted as a street tree all over the place - even Lakes Entrance!!! Keep your eyes peeled - I'm even growing 2 in the backyard to ensure future stock :UGoogles Norfolk island Hybiscus. Common name of "itchy Bomb tree" :hmm: Think I've even seen the flowers round here. Will have to keep my eyes peeled when I go for a walk next time!

Lagunaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagunaria)

Lots of privet at the house I use to live in! A botanist friend of ours told us the Privet use to be used a lot as the root stock for fruit trees, but when fire went though the fruit tree is burnt off , but the privet shall never die (mwahaha) Don't think any of them were that big. Although another friend had a huge one in her back yard. Which I think she cut down last year! :doh:

TTIT
27th April 2011, 03:32 PM
...... but I do have Bonewood, that works if you turn it carefully and do not scrape. It is not a fine grained timber, but with careful cuts and sanding can look good.
The below piece's finial, rim and legs are from Bonewood, some spalted slightly......Would that be Bonewood as in macropteranthes leichhardtii that grows in soft scrub in Central Qld???? - maybe not - it is a very dense, fine grain and my samples are nowhere near that colour :no:<TABLE style=" 210pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=280 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=" 210pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 10240" width=280><TBODY><TR style=" 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER- #ece9d8; BORDER- #ece9d8; 210pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=280 height=17></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Googles Norfolk island Hybiscus. Common name of "itchy Bomb tree" :hmm: .........Warning - DO NOT crush said bomb in hands to collect seeds - DAMHIKT :C

tea lady
27th April 2011, 06:48 PM
<table style=" 210pt; border-collapse: collapse;" x:str="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="280"><colgroup><col style=" 210pt;" width="280"></colgroup><tbody><tr style=" 12.75pt;" height="17"><td style="border: medium none rgb(236, 233, 216); 210pt; 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" width="280" height="17">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Warning - DO NOT crush said bomb in hands to collect seeds - DAMHIKT :C:doh: :rofl: So how long does it itch for? :D

TTIT
27th April 2011, 08:00 PM
:doh: :rofl: So how long does it itch for? :DAs a famous fruiterer once said . . . "cuppla days!" :B

dai sensei
27th April 2011, 09:03 PM
:U That would be great! He's up that way soon isn't he! :2tsup: Exactly what tree is Bonewood from? :think:

That would be the Bonewood Tree :rolleyes:

Would that be Bonewood as in macropteranthes leichhardtii that grows in soft scrub in Central Qld???? - maybe not - it is a very dense, fine grain and my samples are nowhere near that colour :no:

Nah, this is from the Acradenia euodiiformis. Scored my first trunk from amongst the paperbarks near the NSW border (see this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/can-anyone-identify-one-37104/) thread), but I scored another tree from up on the plateau behind the Gold Coast amongst some ancient Jacarandas, so not sure of they were planted or self seeded.

PM me if you want some for your egg collection and I'll send you some.

Cheers

dr4g0nfly
28th April 2011, 07:51 AM
Model one in White Fimo (STAEDTLER FIMO modelling clays and accessories (http://fimo.com/)) it's great stuff.

tea lady
28th April 2011, 09:51 AM
Model one in White Fimo (STAEDTLER FIMO modelling clays and accessories (http://fimo.com/)) it's great stuff.:think: Hmm! that's an Idea! Then I could do a different shape! :cool:

turnerted
28th April 2011, 04:57 PM
TTIT
I thought privet grew just about everywhere but maybe not up north . The last bit I got was growing in my back yard .
Ted

Old Croc
28th April 2011, 11:27 PM
TL, the best timber is the Tamarind tree, hard and white, turns crisp, grows up here in the tropics, but when I get one, I cut it into blocks and cover it with rotting organic matter and keep it wet to start the spalting, so untill the next one comes along, I cant help you,
regards,
Crocy.

NeilS
29th April 2011, 04:27 PM
+1 for Holly.

But don't let it sit green (as in wet) for any time as it spalts to green.

tea lady
30th April 2011, 05:00 PM
+1 for Holly.

But don't let it sit green (as in wet) for any time as it spalts to green.
.:think: You'd think I could find a holly bush somewhere isx the hills. A gardener friend of mine told me about this holly TREE they cut down, (cos its a weed and spreads everywhere. :C) that was enormous! Really big trunk and everything......:saddest: I hate stories like that! Like the fisherman telling you about the one that got away! :banghead::rolleyes: :D