PDA

View Full Version : Eucalypt Burl Stabilisation Question

sturina
24th April 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi All, need some advise.

I have been given this eucalypt burl and am attempting a bowl with it. It is still early stages but seems to have a lot of sap lines and a large knot area. I am worried that as i turn it more and start the inside that I am very likely to get a blow out and destroy all around. I have included a photo but most of the hole isnt really very visible but is to the right under the dark area. How would I best proceed stabilising this area or should I just make a nice shape and leave it at that?

Thanks

cookie48
25th April 2011, 12:17 AM
I am in wonderment as to why you have not been answered by now. There are several people here that have done what you want to do with great results. Sorry I can not find the postings they have done, but if you chase back thru these postings I am sure you will find them. Good luck.

Tony Morton
25th April 2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Sterina
my Idea is several layers of duck tape and procede with caution light cuts if there is a disentergration of the blank then the tape will reduce the effect of the rapidly flying pieces. interested to see the out come of this blank.

Cheers Tony

ticklingmedusa
25th April 2011, 01:02 PM
Eucalyptus doing what eucalyptus does best which is move warp and crack ...
it's such gorgeous wood that it's often worth the effort.
Some people drip CA or epoxy into the voids. Epoxy is probably stronger.
If you want color or sparkle try adding coffee grounds (instant crystals are best)
for black. I've used brass, abalone, glitter, ebony dust or even "disco dazzle" nail polish
left over from a marriage gone bad.
I've also used slurry mixes of whatever wood glue I had mixed with wood dust.
Have considered using tile grout mixed with glue but have not been that desperate
yet.
Tape on the outside just in case seems like a good idea.
Also use blue painters tape to mask margin areas next to the void because CA
will discolour wood and does not sand away easily.
Remember to work out of the line of fire since you already know the potential for
a blow up is high. Always wear a face shield.
Good luck.
John

hughie
25th April 2011, 03:23 PM
...and keep the revs down if it looks real bad

Paul39
26th April 2011, 10:25 AM
All of the above, and sharpen often, take very light cuts, work on this when you are well rested and not distracted.

Just a bit too deep in the void, the chisel catches and BANG!

It will make a beautiful piece. Be patient.

sturina
26th April 2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the advise guys, will attack again when kids are back at school and it can have my undivided attention.