PDA

View Full Version : Tear drop boxes! - the evolution....

tea lady
25th April 2011, 10:56 PM
Been making more tear drop boxes over Easter. (I got left all alone with a shed and some wood.:cool: While the kids away the mother will play! :D) Starting from the tear drop box I made at Kiewa at xmas time, I am letting the design evolve by itself. Hoping my eye refines the shape with each one. I think they are improving.:U Also did a few other little shape variations. I get bored easy. :rolleyes: The woods are red gum, African mahogany, babbinga and tassie oak. The red gum one is oiled, the others are shellawaxed. The variation boxes are black locust (oiled) and black wood (shellawaxed.) The blackwood one is the one that needs a white finial I think! :think: . The tassie oak one turned out the best so far I think, But that was yesterday.....:cool:..:D

powderpost
25th April 2011, 10:59 PM
They are all good, but I like the last one.
Jim

tea lady
25th April 2011, 11:05 PM
.... then today I turned one out of what turned out to be a really special piece of blackwood. Cationce(Oh no! Now I can't find how to spell it. :C) anyone? :D Who knew it was hiding inside that ugly slab. And I still have more. I think the proportions are getting a lot better too. :cool: Shellawaxed again, but I think I might have to try lacquar, cos I can't get rid of the swirly marks. Especially near the middle on the bottom! :C I t wasn't all fun though! There is a down side to having such figured wood. There is no down hill. :doh: Its all up hill! Those sheer scraping and sharpening lessons sure came in handy! :C:D

mick61
25th April 2011, 11:58 PM
That`s nice Like the chatoince.
Dont check the spelling
Mick:D

cookie48
26th April 2011, 01:21 AM
They look great. You very clever lady

mkypenturner
26th April 2011, 08:09 AM
nice work tea lady love that special blackwood one :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
26th April 2011, 09:17 AM
I reckon the word is chatoyance

Nice word TL
Like the tear drop effect - charming

I'd go a blacl finial on the last one (but that's just me

artme
26th April 2011, 10:33 AM
Like 'em all TL!! The last Blackwwood box is a ripper!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

To me the finial on the variation box is superfluous.

Rattrap
26th April 2011, 11:19 AM
That some stunning work there Tea Lady. Isn't it nice when u discover such beauty hidden away. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
26th April 2011, 11:55 AM
:2tsup:

Paul39
26th April 2011, 01:30 PM
WOW! I love the tear drop shape, it needs nothing more.

I love crotches, twisted wood, roots, you never know what is inside until you turn something.

Nice work.

dai sensei
26th April 2011, 11:51 PM

:whs::2tsup:

_fly_
27th April 2011, 12:02 AM
Very Nice,
Is the next step the whole "I Dream of Jennie" version?

tea lady
27th April 2011, 12:41 AM

I like the form cos its so simple. Kind of the antithisis of a "Ken "Wraight" piece. Deceptively simple! Darn hard to get the shape "just so". You have to hollow the lid first! Hard to get it working with the outside of what you haven't turned yet! :doh: Getting there though! :U

underfoot
27th April 2011, 06:21 AM
I reckon the word is chatoyance
..isn't that where you annoy people by chatting too much :q
..nice forms TL :2tsup:..

tea lady
27th April 2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys! :U

Ozkaban
27th April 2011, 09:13 AM
They look great TL! Can I get one with "Measure Once, Cut Twice" :doh:

:D:D:D

tea lady
27th April 2011, 09:35 AM
They look great TL! Can I get one with "Measure Once, Cut Twice" :doh:

:D:D:DThanks Ozka! but.........NO!:p

thompy
27th April 2011, 11:11 AM
Lovely work TL, i'd done a small box recently and had to turn the tops inside first, then do the outside jammed onto the lower, by looking at your grain matching (far better than mine) your doing the tops separated at the grain line you want then turning. Kind of reversed to the way i do mine...hmm...must get my lathe mounted and running again, i could turn a spherical knob...dammit you got me thinking now..lovely boxes.

Neal.

kcam
27th April 2011, 11:36 AM
Love the shape and proportion :2tsup::2tsup: Have to agree with artme, forget the finial:(

tea lady
27th April 2011, 06:41 PM
Lovely work TL, i'd done a small box recently and had to turn the tops inside first, then do the outside jammed onto the lower, by looking at your grain matching (far better than mine) your doing the tops separated at the grain line you want then turning. Kind of reversed to the way i do mine...hmm...must get my lathe mounted and running again, i could turn a spherical knob...dammit you got me thinking now..lovely boxes.

Neal.Not sure what you are gertting at! I am not really choosing any grain line. :think: Just lucky I guess. I am cutting the parts apart with a jap pull saw so I don't loose much wood and upset the grain too much. Tassie oak one matched almost perfectly when finished. More A(*$$ than class I assure you!:rolleyes::D

thompy
28th April 2011, 01:23 AM
I'll have a better go at explaining the way i do mine better than i did, i was rushed when i posted, and rushing my thoughts, and your idea got me thinking.

1. hotglue workpiece to sacrificial wood on faceplate.
2. turn to round.
3. mark and cut into with parting tool roughly 1/3 of workpiece down from tailstock end.
4. from tailstock end hollow out box lid allowing for the parting tool mark/cut in in step 3.
5. sand/finnish lid inner.
6. part off lid.
7. cut tenon on base at tailstock end to lid inner dimension.
8. flip lid 180 degree's pressfit/mount onto tenon and shape/sand/finish lid outer.
9. turn base outer to match lid outer dimension.
10. remove lid and hollow out base.
11. shape/sand/finnish base inside and out.
12. parting tool base off sacrificial chuck and hand finish box base.

Thats the way i do mine in a nutshell, so i have mismatched grain by 180 degree's to my lids, and i lose a bit of grain as well. The way you do yours got me thinking about how to do mine with matching grains. And as that thought occurred to me i had another, i could do them the same way as i do but i could add a finial / turned knob.

The small things i learn on here excite me, lol, i turn my boxes inside out basically, and you got me thinking about outside in.:2tsup::2tsup:.

Neal.

tea lady
28th April 2011, 10:07 AM
How I am doing mine! (Which is also how the guy did it in the book, seeing I actually read it yesterday.)

1, Put length of timber that is the length if the box plus 20mm each end between centers. (Can be less if you use a bit of pine for the jam chucks) Turn to round. cut tennons on both ends. mark the top and bottom and the lid flange position with small parting tool. Turn the beginnings of the outside tear drop shape. Don't take the lid down to much to a point yet. Ya just need to know where things are at the moment..

2 Make a groove at the bottom of the lid flange with the point of a skew. ?Then saw apart with trusty jap pull saw! (Can also use super thin parting tool if you have one! )

3 .......

Damn! Now I have to go to work. Will continue this tonight!

Randir
2nd May 2011, 02:24 PM
Awesome work. I prefer the 'plain' ones, just the teardrop (the first photo, and the one in your second post).

I look forward to reading your process!