PDA

View Full Version : Air filtration devices

Tiger
7th December 2004, 02:45 PM
Can someone give me some feedback on air filtration devices. They are boxes with fans in them that supposedly filter out fine dust. There is conflicting advice on the Internet and if anyone has purchased one, could they tell me whether or not they work. I share a workshop with a car and it always has a layer of fine dust on it, would the filtration device at least keep my car clean. Any advice is gratefully accepted.

Tiger

echnidna
7th December 2004, 03:53 PM
Well the best solution is to park the car where it should be - outside.
But probably a slipoff car cover is a good solution in the garage.

Ceiling mounted dust fan filters have the mechanical disadvantage that they will lift settling dust laden air through the breathing zone. Ideally such fans ought be located below bench height so they pull the dust down. But low mounted kitchen exhaust fans will do the same thing and if the outlet is screened by a garden the dust will just settle in the garden and not become a problem

craigb
7th December 2004, 04:10 PM
But low mounted kitchen exhaust fans will do the same thing and if the outlet is screened by a garden the dust will just settle in the garden and not become a problem

I put a kitchen exhaust fan in my shed. It's not mounted low down though due to having to go through 450mm of sandstone at that hight ;)

Still, it works pretty well at filtering the air. Better than not having it anyway.

bitingmidge
7th December 2004, 04:30 PM
if anyone has purchased one, could they tell me whether or not they work.

They work.

Remember they are not a primary source of dust removal.

While he has made a very good point, I don't know if I agree entirely with Bob about them lifting the dust.... when I don't use it I get fine dust on top of the machine and on top of the roof truss bottom chords, so I reckon there's a fair bit of the invisible stuff in the air!

Cheers,

P

echnidna
7th December 2004, 06:08 PM
You can actually see the ultra fine dust in the air under suitable lighting conditions.
In a dull to dark workshop, use a spotlight beam. The light refects off the dust particles thus becoming effectively visible.

DarrylF
7th December 2004, 07:25 PM
When I'm working on a machine that produces dust I run a dust collector, my Jet air cleaner and a ceiling mounted exhaust fan - and if I'm on the lathe usually a pedestal fan about 6 feet to my right at about hip height - keeps the dust out of my face. Still doesn't keep the workshop totally clean - not sure that's really possible :) - but it helps a lot. Everything except the DC runs whenever I'm in my workshop.

The ceiling exhaust fan is also great for just keeping the air moving, clearing fumes from finishes etc.

I agree you really should be moving your car outside or covering it - it's just not possible really to keep a workshop that clean. Main concern though is your health, and to me the best strategy is to keep air moving through the workshop constantly, clean the ambient air constantly, and to collect the dust at it's source as far as is possible.

Tiger
10th December 2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, seems like I'll have to get one or make one although an exhaust fan may do the trick. If anyone has any ideas on how to make one that filters out the really fine dust, love to hear from you.

Sturdee
10th December 2004, 10:48 PM
Tony,

Yes, I made one see the following posts for details. I used an old evaporative cooler and a filter from Carbatec. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=9308 and http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8964&page=2&pp=15

Peter.

Grunt
10th December 2004, 11:22 PM
Tiger,

You should also have a look at Bill Pentz site. It is filled with info on dust collection.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Grunt

vsquizz
10th December 2004, 11:37 PM
A workmate put two Jet dust filter units into his commercial joinery and dramatically reduced the amount of dust (that could be seen).

Like Vacuum cleaner bags they are as useful as a hip pocket in a singlet if you don't clean or replace the filters.

Now get that bloody car outa ya workshop and put in some more machinery:D

Cheers