PDA

View Full Version : Cyanoacrylate Thnners

dr4g0nfly
29th April 2011, 09:10 AM
Has anybody worked out how to thin Cyanoacrylate - I've tried various thinners I have in the workshop, SWMBO's Nail Polish remover etc.. None of them turn the thick stuff to the Thin Stuff.

In fact the best I've come up with is to let the bottle bathe in a cup of hot coffee for a couple of minutes. But that just makes it flow better not thinner.

There must be a better way - if it can be manufactured in various viscosities there must be a base the polymers are in.

Ozkaban
29th April 2011, 10:37 AM
which ones have you tried? it cleans up with Acetone, so that would disolve it ok, though I don't know how effective as a thinners it would be. I'm no hand at chemistry :doh:

Randir
29th April 2011, 11:09 AM
Acetone cleans it up because it breaks down the polymer chain which is what provides the glue in the first place. So it might get thinner, but it also might not be glue anymore. If nail polish remover didn't work then acetone probably won't (nail polish remover being an acetone substitute).

I did a bit of a google and the only mentions I found were for things that don't work. One manufacturer mentioned this, although it seems a little bit redundant:

How should I store cyanoacrylates and how long will they last?
Cyanoacrylates are best stored in their original container in a cold, dark, and dry location. For long term storage, cyanoacrylates should be refrigerated or stored at temperatures below 50°F. The shelf life of cyanoacrylates stored at room temperatures can be up to one year. If refrigerated, cyanoacrylates can remain within specifications for up to two years. As cyanoacrylates age, they polymerize, become thicker, and cure slower. They can be thinned down with the same type of chemical cyanoacrylate of a lower viscosity.
Thinning them with what you're trying to turn them into misses the point a bit, unless you have a heap of thick stuff that you have no use for. I'm also not sure if it will work on stuff that is produced to be thick as opposed to thickening with age. You can only try.

Brendan

Ozkaban
29th April 2011, 11:14 AM
Acetone cleans it up because it breaks down the polymer chain which is what provides the glue in the first place. So it might get thinner, but it also might not be glue anymore. If nail polish remover didn't work then acetone probably won't (nail polish remover being an acetone substitute).

Thanks for the info Brendan. I had thought it would either thin it, or thin it and ruin it :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

nalmo
29th April 2011, 09:19 PM
I bought some really thin CA a while back. Every time I use it, it gets everywhere and I end up glueing my fingers together. Give me the thicker stuff anytime!

ian
29th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Acetone cleans it up because it breaks down the polymer chain which is what provides the glue in the first place. So it might get thinner, but it also might not be glue anymore.

I did a bit of a google and the only mentions I found were for things that don't work. One manufacturer mentioned this, although it seems a little bit redundant:

Cyanoacrylates are best stored in their original container in a cold, dark, and dry location. For long term storage, cyanoacrylates should be refrigerated or stored at temperatures below 50°F. The shelf life of cyanoacrylates stored at room temperatures can be up to one year. If refrigerated, cyanoacrylates can remain within specifications for up to two years. As cyanoacrylates age, they polymerize, become thicker, and cure slower. They can be thinned down with the same type of chemical cyanoacrylate of a lower viscosity.
Thinning them with what you're trying to turn them into misses the point a bit, unless you have a heap of thick stuff that you have no use for. I'm also not sure if it will work on stuff that is produced to be thick as opposed to thickening with age. You can only try. I think I get it

what the manufacturer is saying -- in their typical very oblique way -- is that there are no such things as "thinners" for cyanoacrylates.

a cyanoacrylate "cures" through polymerisation of the consistuents -- these constituents are made thick or runny at the time of maufacture. You (the user) can only change the viscosity (runniness) of the one you have by mixing it with a cyanoacrylate that is thicker or thinner than what you have.

HazzaB
29th April 2011, 10:08 PM
Hey There,

Why is everyone trying to re-do the wheel thing ????
You want Thin CA just buy the stuff,
If it needs thinning it's either too old or the wrong stuff you got in the first place.

HazzaB

dr4g0nfly
30th April 2011, 05:03 AM
Sorry one thing I did not say was I can buy the thick stuff an awful lot cheaper than the thin stuff. Which is why i was looking for a way to thin it so I could make it into whatever viscosity I wanted.

Your right, Acetone is a devolving agent for Cyanoacrylates but if you try mix the two together the Glue turns into a pulpy mess in the acetone and does not spread through it as a solution or precipitate.

Looks like the info Brendan got (better than I managed) sums the situation up. It's a chemical process not one we can alter in home workshops. Thanks for all the thoughts though.

Randir
2nd May 2011, 01:30 PM
nalmo: the thin stuff is (theoretically) a much stronger glue, if your surfaces mate precisely. The thick stuff is good for filling any gaps, though. The better the surfaces mate the thinner you should use.

ian: When manufactured the cyanoacrylate is produced in some kind of 'pure' form - in this state it is extremely thin. They add other junk to make it thicker. A lot of chemicals you can thin go the other way - it's produced as a thick (or even solid) lump of stuff which they dissolve in something. Add more 'something' and it gets thinner.

Brendan

nalmo
2nd May 2011, 08:52 PM
You don't need to tell me how strong it is! Adds another 1/2 hour to any glueing job (trying to get it off my fingers).

Next time I'll remember to wear disposable gloves.

rodent
6th May 2011, 11:08 PM
Add the thin stuff too the thick Ca . I get those $2 packet 2ml tubes and add some to my Ca when it starts too thicken up . Just my $2 worth .

issatree
7th May 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi dr4gOnfly,
Well I don't know if I'm a bit different, but I buy Loctite 401, Instant, but not to thick,
& Loctite 406, rather runny, & takes about 1min. to set.
I'm not sure if you can get it in the UK, & I pay $12 a 25ml Bottle.
A Forumite put me onto Medium, @ $8, but it wasn't as good & took a lot longer to set.