PDA

View Full Version : Eucalypt Burl Bowl

sturina
29th April 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi All

This is the eucalypt bowl I have been working on. This is by far the most challenging bit of wood I have come across in my short time turning. The walls are a little thick (about 5mm) as I was a little worried of destroying it. It is about 15cm across and 10cm tall. I think it is also the deepest bowl i have tried so far which was a little scary extending the tools. Its far from perfect but I think it is a beautiful bit of timber full of character.

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/58734971@N06/5669372458/in/photostream)

sjm
29th April 2011, 09:29 PM
I think it is also the deepest bowl i have tried so far which was a little scary extending the tools.

Good job on a nice piece of timber. Don't be afraid to stick the toolrest inside the bowl to minimise the tool overhang.

hughie
30th April 2011, 02:17 PM
This is the eucalypt bowl I have been working on. This is by far the most challenging bit of wood I have come across in my short time turning. The walls are a little thick (about 5mm) as I was a little worried of destroying it. It is about 15cm across and 10cm tall. I think it is also the deepest bowl i have tried so far which was a little scary extending the tools. Its far from perfect but I think it is a beautiful bit of timber full of character.

Yep if you can rechuck it and follow the outside contour on the inside a bit more and as stated move your tool rest inside... if it will fit. :U Other wise think about lnocking up one for doing the inside of your bowls. Thats what I ended up doing and now I have several different types.

Ad de Crom
30th April 2011, 06:52 PM
Lovely wood for such a small bowl.
Well done :2tsup:
Ad

munruben
30th April 2011, 07:51 PM
Nice work, nice timber. well done.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
30th April 2011, 08:57 PM
What's wrong with posting your photos directly to the forum?

bookend
1st May 2011, 01:09 AM
Well done.

Since when is 5mm a bit thick? Relax.

The gum lines would make it a challenge, but even without them 5mm is fine.

Michael Spain
1st May 2011, 08:24 AM
Hi Sturina, you have elected a very showy timber and with your hands you could have extracted everything beautiful that existed in his interior, congratulations, greetings from Canary Islands.:clap:

Wynyard Woodie
1st May 2011, 11:54 AM
G'day Sturina, nice job on that bowl, have done a few eucalypt burls that look very similar with the gum lines etc. Not easy to turn, well done.:2tsup:

sturina
1st May 2011, 02:27 PM
Hi sawdust maker. When I tried to post direct it wouldn't let me. It kept coming up with a message regards incorrect security tokens. Most times I try to post direct but if me and my computer don't agree I post this way.

Thanks for the comments guys, never occurred to me to put the tool rest in the bowl. Will definitely remember next time.

Sawdust Maker
1st May 2011, 10:19 PM
In a couple of years time - or even less - the link will be useless and thus this thread

Nice wood and bowl but I especially dislike having to go elsewhere to look at the piccies

sturina
2nd May 2011, 11:17 PM
Trying again with the pics. Thanks for the offer . Not sure why they worked now and not before?

RETIRED
2nd May 2011, 11:34 PM
It generally happens during a refresh of the database.

RETIRED
2nd May 2011, 11:39 PM
Will tidy up the thread tomorrow.:wink: