PDA

View Full Version : Novadrive, centrotec or regular?

monoman
7th December 2004, 08:20 PM
Can anyone explain the difference between the 3 drive types. They all look the same to me.

Cheers

Whinging Pom
9th December 2004, 09:06 AM
Don't know about Novadrive but the others I can tell you about.

Centrotec - A quick release system then connects directly to the drive shaft. The chuck, for want of a better word, is simply there to hold the bit in place. Done not require a conventional chuck to use and so makes the overall length of the drill shorter.

Regular - The bit is held in the chuck which is in turn connected to the drive shaft.

Simple really. The up shot is that Festool claim that the Centrotec system eliminates the possiblilty of the bit either being connected off center or gaining a certain amout of eccentric movement due to the chuck not being fitted perfectly.

Hope this helps

monoman
9th December 2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks mate,

Perhaps I better learn to phrase my questions better next time.

Many drills etc. take hex-shafted screwdriver bits and drill (regular type).

Festool sell 2 products. Novadrive, which looks like the regular hex shafted bit described above. and Centratec. I checked one out at my Festool dealer today. Centratec is identical to hexdrive, except that the shaft of the drive is precision ground (round) between the hexdrive and the pointy end. The advantage is better support than just hexdrive, and runs truer.

Anyway, at $700+ for a drill, and $500+ for the full centratec kit, it'll have to wait. I forked out on a CT33E and ETS150/3 today.

Cheers