PDA

View Full Version : Doughnut Chuck

Nai84
2nd May 2011, 11:02 PM
Hey Everyone

Well I havent posted in this section for a while a I have been bizzy recovering from an injured finger and I have also been turning alot of pens so I got bizzy making a doughnut chuck to hold my work while I finish the bottoms and this is the end results I still have few small things to add like a rubber ring to go around the inside ring where the work sits to protect it from damage and I just need to find some bolts with the thread that gose all the way to the top of the bolt all comments welcome

Ian

RETIRED
2nd May 2011, 11:09 PM
Looks good Ian.

Set screws are what they are called when threaded to the top or you could use allthread.

Sawdust Maker
2nd May 2011, 11:16 PM
good job :2tsup:

how did you attach the back plate to the lathe?

Scott
3rd May 2011, 10:04 AM
I was thinking of a solution to this problem last night and here it is! Thanks Ian.

Have to agree with , allthread would be the best solution as the bolts sticking out the back seem a little dangerous. The problem with this is when you have various depths of bowls therefore various lengths of allthread will be necessary.

Ozkaban
3rd May 2011, 10:12 AM
Looks good. I really need to build one of these for myself.

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
3rd May 2011, 10:40 AM
Ian well done

I reckon a few sets of bolts will work better instead of wing nuts you can also use T-nuts although not real good with Melamine. In that case an encased nut like used in auto body parts.

INVENTOR
3rd May 2011, 10:49 AM
Ian, seeing you asked, one thing you might want to consider is putting some wing nuts between the two plates. While using my chuck I wondered what would happen if the piece broke ( assuming the piece is thin walled)
If the piece was reasonably tall then the whole contraption would be like a swirling mess of bolts and bits.:o So I used thread bar (of various lengths to suit the piece/s) with locktite nyloc nuts on the tail stock end with wing nuts between the plates and on the headstock side. the internal wing nuts are tightened up last.
It takes a little longer to assemble but a lot more piece of mind.

I use 3 pieces of thread bar as it can be adjusted like a 'tripod' to angle the piece accordingly.

I hope this helps.:U

sturina
3rd May 2011, 02:03 PM
Love the look of it Ian. Just one more thing to add to my 'to do' list.

Sturdee
3rd May 2011, 03:15 PM
Ian, I would also draw a number of rings on the back board, say 10mm apart, to assist in centering your bowl. Otherwise great. :2tsup:

Peter.

turnerted
3rd May 2011, 03:20 PM
Ian
Looks like it will do the job . I just welded nuts on the top side onto lengths of allthread .
Ted

hughie
3rd May 2011, 05:31 PM
]Looks good. I really need to build one of these for myself.

Not hard to do, look around for old wooden electrical cable drums, they are about the right size for a donut chuck. I have made mine from these with great success

artme
3rd May 2011, 07:54 PM
Good one Ian!!:2tsup::):)

I would think a protective strip around the inner ring where it contacts the bowl would be:) worth a thought.

Nai84
3rd May 2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks for all the feed back on my doughnut chuck I have a couple of adjustments to make
1. I am gonna use threaded rod instead of the bolts in the pics with lock nuts on top and wing nuts or T-nuts on the back
2. I am going to make different sized threaded rod for smaller piece and lager pieces
3. I am gonna draw rings on the back plate help center the work
4. and a rubber insert for the inner ring

the chuck is mounted on to my face plate and it is made from laminated MDF and it was free so even better all comments welcome

Ian

INVENTOR
4th May 2011, 10:46 AM
Ian, I made mine with removable round disc inserts, with different size openings, that fit in to the front disc,(rebated) so it fits different work. rather than make different size discs for the front.
I should try and post a photo or two.

Nai84
4th May 2011, 11:04 PM
Ian, I made mine with removable round disc inserts, with different size openings, that fit in to the front disc,(rebated) so it fits different work. rather than make different size discs for the front.
I should try and post a photo or two.

Hey Inventor

That would be awesome if you could do that and thats a fantastic idea

Ian

HazzaB
5th May 2011, 01:37 AM
Hey Ian,

For the Backing plate, I would try some Wetsuit type rubber, or one of them tiles that you have on sale at the moment, then do rings on it with a permanent marker.
A few sets of All thread, you will probably only need about 3 sets, that would cover quite a few different sizes.

Just my thoughts

HazzaB

Sawdust Maker
5th May 2011, 09:19 AM
I was wondering whether a slot cut from the rim to the bolt on the back part of the chuck might make it easier to remove the doughnut. You would only have to loosen the nut a bit rather then fully removing the nut and washer.

If there is a concern that it could work loose with centrifugal forces then countersink the washer so it cannot move

Nai84
5th May 2011, 01:00 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the feed back I will take it on board and go from there

Ian

hughie
6th May 2011, 02:15 PM
I also have collection of rings for the outer plate, I find them very handy. Also fitted a sacrificial piece of mdf to the back plate, with this I turn a spigot to fit the bowl opening. This take the guess work out of centreing