PDA

View Full Version : New "bowl"?

powderpost
12th May 2011, 12:06 PM
Really getting the urge now. Just on 12 months since I started on the curved joint pattern and it has taken about ten months to get back to it. Took a little while to pick up the threads, but this one is not too bad, not good but not too bad. Made from acacia cedar (very sneezy) and black bean (also very sneezy). Wearing of masks was mandatory with this project. Why use these timbers? Because I like the colour and grain patterns. This one is 300mm diameter and 110 high.

What do you think?

Jim

derekh
12th May 2011, 12:15 PM
Wow, that is beautiful ! :2tsup:

Ozkaban
12th May 2011, 12:47 PM
Awesome work :2tsup:

I can just see that thing eating hours and hours of labour...

Cheers,
Dave

Ironwood
12th May 2011, 01:22 PM
That is superb Jim.:2tsup:

You must be happy with that one.

elderly
12th May 2011, 01:43 PM
Fantastic Jim.
Cheers Elderly

wheelinround
12th May 2011, 01:53 PM
Next Sydney Wood Show Jim will be doing demo's each day from start to finish on producing these works of art.:U

Jim amazing work.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

jefferson
12th May 2011, 04:11 PM
Very nice work, as always, Jim.

pommyphil
12th May 2011, 05:07 PM
Great stuff. What's the best book on segmented turning. Opps :B a highjack, sorry.

orraloon
12th May 2011, 05:25 PM
Not really a segmented fan but now and again I see on I like.
Nice job Jim.
Regards

Ad de Crom
12th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Jim, I know how difficult it is to creating this kind of segmented work.
How much time you spend on designing the pattern, before you like the result?
I took my time for watching to this bowl, and I'm impressed of what I'm seeing.
A magnificient bowl, very well done Jim.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
12th May 2011, 07:08 PM
Jim I tink you are pretty damned clever!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nice piece!:):):)

Cliff Rogers
12th May 2011, 07:12 PM
Yer bent. :D

I've got some coloured Sars for you & I should be over your way Tuesday morning.

thompy
12th May 2011, 07:37 PM
Love it Jim, very inspiring work (for me at least):2tsup:.

It'll be quite a long while before i have tooling to attempt such things, life has a way of prioritising my budget:rolleyes:.

So many questions to ask, and i have to start somewhere and keep asking, so what kind of lathe do you use? And do you use a tablesaw or bandsaw for your segmenting cutting? Any specific additions to the machines (more accurate fencing systems / chucks)? I know you'd have to? use your own jigs and what not, very very intricate mate.

Neal.

powderpost
12th May 2011, 08:04 PM
Geeezz, what a response, thank you everybody. This one was a prototype. In reality I am not all that enthused with it. I have built a second one with more detailing and a few modifications, should be finished in a weeks time.
To answer some of the questions...

Thompy, I use a Woodfast lathe. The segments are cut with a table saw and/or a bandsaw, depending on the shape required. I also use a sander and drill press, again, depending on the shape involved. Many of the joints are not straight, but curved. The difficulty here is to get the male and female bits to fit accurately. And yes I have developed a few special purpose jigs for the sander and drill press.

Cliff, I have known I was bent for some time, many people tell me that constantly.

Ad, there was something like 3 days doodling with pen and paper.

PommyPhil, There a number of books available for segmenting, It is a very diverse area. I don't know of a book tha covers the lot.

OzKaban, That one represents about 50 hours.

Again, thanks for the nice comments.

Jim

Allan at Wallan
12th May 2011, 08:54 PM
Really getting the urge now. Just on 12 months since I started on the curved joint pattern and it has taken about ten months to get back to it. Took a little while to pick up the threads, but this one is not too bad, not good but not too bad. Made from acacia cedar (very sneezy) and black bean (also very sneezy). Wearing of masks was mandatory with this project. Why use these timbers? Because I like the colour and grain patterns. This one is 300mm diameter and 110 high.

What do you think?

Jim

Great results Jim! Not to be sneezed at.:D

Allan

dai sensei
12th May 2011, 09:27 PM
Beautiful work Jim, I really like the curved shapes :2tsup:

coffenup
12th May 2011, 09:28 PM
average old man:D

just joking another fantastic job mate
regards Michael

John T
12th May 2011, 10:05 PM
HI JIM what fantastic work i could only aspire to that level of segmented turning:2tsup::2tsup:

Michael Spain
13th May 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Jim, you are right, your work is not good:no:, it is the best:2tsup::2tsup:, an excellent wood, it is very showy, in these grounds it is not seen, very good the combination of colors and the very elegant design, a real work of art, congratulations, a greeting from Canary Islands.:hapy:

Ed Reiss
14th May 2011, 11:36 AM
See that you've been practicing again, Jim, and it's all good my friend.

Have any books in the works??

powderpost
14th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Ed... there are a few web sites that have explored the curved joints style. I have spent over 12 months developing a method of match exactly the male and female curves. I think the method I use is unique. It is always quite possible that someone somewhere has preceded me. There is not much new under the sun is there?

I have been approached to write a book on the various laminating techniques that I use. We will see about that, I would rather spend my time in the work shop. :)
Jim