PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening

Grizz
10th December 2004, 09:05 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to this turning game but already have a few things under my belt. I'm using mostly recycled timber, Blue Gum, Red Gum, Victorian Ash and anything else I can get my hands on cheap. This is all very dry and very hard and I seem to be spending a lot of time sharpening my gouges. Also, I don't seem to be able to get long shavings off the wood. Are these two things usual given the types of wood that I'm using?.

BTW, this whole BB thing is fantastic, I've learnt heaps and found lots of extra links thanks to you people.

Grizz.

DarrylF
10th December 2004, 09:27 PM
Low quality chisels + hard wood + dry wood = fine shavings (even sawdust) + frequent sharpening.

Part of the deal I'm afraid :) Hard, dry timbers tend to be easy to turn in a lot of ways - they tend to stay stable for one thing - but they're hard on the tools. Good quality tools help a lot though.

The only times you'll get long shavings are with a combination of a sharp tool and a wet(ish) or oily wood. Huon pine for instance, because it's oily, will usually produce nice long shavings. Jarrah and redgum, unless they're very wet, will produce not too much but sawdust and fine chips.

Grizz
10th December 2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks for that Darryl. At least I now know that it's to be expected. Funny though, how this woodturning thing can get you in. My better half tells me that I'm addicted.

Grizz.

rsser
11th December 2004, 06:10 AM
Wait til she sees the next credit card statement ;-}

Yes, what Darryl said.

Vic ash is only fair as a turning timber; some bits of redgum will give you 'pig tails' with a fine shearing cut with your gouge or fine shavings off the burr on a scraper used on end grain. And there's enough variation in redgum density to make you wonder why one bit isn't bending to your will the way the last bit did.