PDA

View Full Version : Ugly vessel

kcam
14th May 2011, 01:29 PM
A member of the club that i belong to is into deep hollow turning and at one of our meeting he brought along a piece for "show and tell" and on completion of his spiel made the announcement that he was now handing it over to two other members to do their "thing" with it.....one being me....it is nice to be put on the spot:no: anyway we both accepted the challenge and it was agreed that I do the next stage of preparing the vessel for some sort of piercing....a quick look for some inspiration and we came up with a forest/tree scene that might be appropriate for the piece. The attached photos tell the story, after a lot of hours hopefully not wasted......it is now over to my mate for piercing and then back to me to finish off around the base before deciding on the final finish:C
It is not my normal style and I still think that it is "ugly":( It is destined to be a club raffle....I hope that I don't win it ! KC

Rhys_holland
14th May 2011, 06:10 PM
That Is AWESOME:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
14th May 2011, 06:19 PM
Wow agree I like, would appreciate an update of it as it goes along.:2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
14th May 2011, 06:20 PM
I think the colour is the thing that's wrong, some stain or painting, a little texture and it will look far better.

kcam
14th May 2011, 07:29 PM
The current plan in the collaborative is to pierce the carved out area between the top half of the trees, embellish the bottom half in some way either with pyro or dremel and then finish with a white wash so that the grain is still evident and airbrush shadow to the tree trunks....might make it look a bit better....it will depend on the piercing design to a great extent.....wil post the progress...Kerry

powderpost
14th May 2011, 09:20 PM
I like the concept... :2tsup:
Jim

thompy
14th May 2011, 10:21 PM
Quite a piece, i like it, collaborative works are great for stretching boundaries and broadening ones experiences. I wouldn't say its ugly at all.

Neal.

Ed Reiss
14th May 2011, 10:34 PM
Hardly ugly :no: ...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The piece has nice flowing lines top to bottom, carving looks great...you guys are doing a nice job on it. :2tsup:

Anxious to see the final product.

cookie48
14th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Where can I buy a ticket in the raffle. I rekon it looks great. Well done to everyone working on it. Look forward to the finished product.

artme
15th May 2011, 08:30 AM
Very intresting concept and piece.

I agree with the others - hold back jugement until it is finished.

Michael Spain
15th May 2011, 09:54 AM
A very original piece, a perfect combination of woodturning and carving, a surprising work:o, I hope to see it finished, congratulations, a greeting from Tenerife.

kcam
15th May 2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your positive comments and yes Ed, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I suppose my reaction has been somewhat negative as the whole exercise was put on me without consultation but now in hindsight the carving exercise helped improve my skill and approach particularly bringing the "windows" down to an even thickness under 3mm.....I am now looking forward to my next finishing stage after seeing the piercing result. In the meantime I can get back to doing some of my own"creations" :) Kerry

Sawdust Maker
16th May 2011, 03:11 PM
Whatever you might say - I'm impressed

Woodkid
17th May 2011, 07:03 PM
that looks awesome i like the colour it is but if you stain it or something im sure it will still look awesome

kcam
31st May 2011, 02:48 PM
Have just received the "vessel" back from our third collaborator who has done a magical job on transformation within the tree panels with piercing (4 panels) and art work.....it is now up to me to do a bit more carving and colouring before handing it back to the originator to turn off the spigot and finish......will continue to post until complete....Kerry:U

turnerted
31st May 2011, 05:41 PM
Looks fantastic .The responsability on each collaborator must be mounting as the piece progresses .
Ted

thompy
31st May 2011, 05:51 PM
Quite a piece, i like it, collaborative works are great for stretching boundaries and broadening ones experiences. I wouldn't say its ugly at all.

Neal.

I was right and wrong, collaborative boundaries broadening check, i'm now changing my opinion to STUNNING as opposed to "not ugly". Really well done. Can't wait to see it finished.

Neal.

Allan at Wallan
31st May 2011, 05:52 PM
Looking better by the minute ... congratulations on your
overall creativity ... can't wait to see the final product.:2tsup:

Allan

leisureologist
31st May 2011, 08:30 PM
I am speechless. The work in this vessel is amazing. True, the eye of the beholder rules, but the hours of effort it must take! Why raffle it in just a club? May I suggest that such effort could be offered to the forum (and others) for a worthy cause.

I would suggest a raffle for QLD Police Legacy in recognition of those who risk it all daily for us. The young senior constable in the gold coast who was shot the other day is very much in my mind as a police "dad" at the moment.

If you take up my idea I will buy $50 worth of tickets.
Welcome to Queensland Police Legacy | www.policelegacyqld.org.au (http://www.policelegacyqld.org.au/) refers for detail. Lots of kids could benefit from this exceptional effort by woodies.

Apologies if this is out of line at all.

hughie
31st May 2011, 09:15 PM
Amazing, not quite my cup of tea. But it will look outstanding when its done. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
31st May 2011, 09:27 PM
wow :2tsup:

cookie48
1st June 2011, 01:13 AM
Is this raffle open to anyone? The more you show the more I would like to get some tickets.

wheelinround
1st June 2011, 08:58 AM
Thats amazing surface decoration collaborative let alone the vessel itself.:2tsup:

wheelinround
1st June 2011, 04:59 PM
Just been looking a a knitting pattern with LOML it was called "Tree Of Life"
This vessel came to mind straight away.
Do a Google search you'll see what I mean.

kcam
1st June 2011, 08:23 PM
I am speechless. The work in this vessel is amazing. True, the eye of the beholder rules, but the hours of effort it must take! Why raffle it in just a club? May I suggest that such effort could be offered to the forum (and others) for a worthy cause.

I would suggest a raffle for QLD Police Legacy in recognition of those who risk it all daily for us. The young senior constable in the gold coast who was shot the other day is very much in my mind as a police "dad" at the moment.

If you take up my idea I will buy $50 worth of tickets.
Welcome to Queensland Police Legacy | www.policelegacyqld.org.au (http://www.policelegacyqld.org.au/) refers for detail. Lots of kids could benefit from this exceptional effort by woodies.

Apologies if this is out of line at all.
Good suggestion, but another worthy cause has been allocated and tickets printed.

The raffle will be run prior to and during the Redcliffe Show (ist to 3rd july) and will be drawn on the Sunday. Tickets will be available from the Woodcraft Pavilion where the Redcliffe and District Woodcraft Society will be demonstrating woodcraft and exhibiting their annual competition entries.come along and make a peoples choice vote on any of the 14 categories.and buy a ticket in the raffle:D

kcam
1st June 2011, 08:32 PM
Just been looking a a knitting pattern with LOML it was called "Tree Of Life"
This vessel came to mind straight away.
Do a Google search you'll see what I mean.
It's amazing what the sub-conscience (and Goggle) turns up, can't say that I have seen images of the "tree of life" before,but I can see the similarity, the inspiration came from a pottery ball and the bush, I thought anyway :rolleyes:

kcam
24th June 2011, 05:45 PM
Well the vessel is now finished and ready to go on display at the Redcliffe Show as first prize in a raffle. When it came back to me I had planned to add some pyro embellishment and a very light white wash but decided that it would be a bit of an overkill so just added some extra light carving under the alternate features and then passed it on for finishing....critique welcome. Cheers Kerry

wheelinround
24th June 2011, 05:55 PM
Kerry magnificent work by all concerned you all should be proud to say you did that.

Its amazing the involvement, trust, faith this sort of venture takes.

Woodkid
24th June 2011, 05:59 PM
It looks great well done. :U

DaveGlx
24th June 2011, 07:37 PM
WOW!!!!:clap3::hooray:

Jim Carroll
24th June 2011, 07:58 PM
Well the vessel is now finished and ready to go on display at the Redcliffe Show as first prize in a raffle. When it came back to me I had planned to add some pyro embellishment and a very light white wash but decided that it would be a bit of an overkill so just added some extra light carving under the alternate features and then passed it on for finishing....critique welcome. Cheers Kerry

When you mentioned that it was back in your hands and ready for more work it made me think what could you do to add to the peice.

What you have done is excellent , not getting too involved in making it too busy.

A good outcome for a colaborative peice.
Hope you sell lots of raffle tickets.

Ed Reiss
24th June 2011, 11:17 PM
...started out as an ugly duckling, is now a graceful swan! :2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
27th June 2011, 09:32 AM
Wow. I'm surprised and delighted with how it's turned out. :cool:

kcam
27th June 2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Our club competition is being judged tomorrow, the target number of entries was 100 and we received 99 (30% up on last year) Ruffly Rustic came down from Toowoomba and entered 3 items.
I plan to have the judges critique the "ugly vessel" so it will be interesting to review their comments....cheers Kerry

RufflyRustic
27th June 2011, 10:43 AM
It was great to see the 'Ugly Vessel' in real life. It truly does not live up to it's name:) I'm in awe of the rest of the submissions for the Show. There are some very talented woodworkers in your area Kerry :2tsup:

kcam
16th July 2011, 11:40 AM
The Raffle was a success with in excess of 1000 tickets being sold with two worthy recipients of the total proceeds....the "vessel' met with favourable comment from most, including the Queensland Governor that paid the RDWS exhibit a visit on her way out after opening the Show......cheers Kerry

Bellas Nebular
17th July 2011, 10:58 PM
:2tsup:Wish I had that kind of talent

--------
Bellas Nebular

artme
18th July 2011, 07:29 AM
For some reason I have neglected this thread!!:doh::doh:

That has turned (:rolleyes:) out extremely well!! Congrats on the collaboration and the

resulting piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2011, 08:56 AM
:2tsup: