PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love, with turning and my new toy....

CharlieC
22nd May 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey folks,
Having started lessons and done heaps of reading and research, I can honestly say I am now hooked on turning. It's been something that has taken me to nearly 40 to pursue (better late than never I suppose) but I am just loving it.

Also having done my research and living in Adelaide (right at the source), I am now the happy owner of a Woodfast M305 lathe. I just love this machine. For a beginner it's awesome, well built and uncomplicated, with heaps of flexibility to turn a range of items. I can see myself having years of unbridled enjoyment from this lathe.

I look forward to the journey ahead and sharing it with you folks. :U

CC

Ozkaban
23rd May 2011, 08:58 AM
Welcome aboard and enjoy your trip... it will be fun and expensive :D

You'll enjoy the woodfast - a good little lathe.

Oh, and don't forget to post the stuff you make. We love piccies :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

brendan stemp
23rd May 2011, 10:16 AM
Welcome CharlieC. I know how you feel; woodturning is very addictive and so much fun. The next thing you need to do is book yourself into SATurn 11 which is August this year. Contact Cate Wrigley on [email protected] You will have a ball and get the opportunity to learn so much all for free.

coffenup
24th May 2011, 07:56 AM
welcome charlie
another south aussie here. I too have the woodfast 305 midi lathe had mine for 3 years & still loving it
It does have it limits but I love turning
Enjoy
regards Michael

Grommett
24th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Welcome Charlie, yes turning is addictive. You have to love the Woodfast. Mine is a second hand C1000, from about 1992 at a guess, and is a solid pleasure to use. You made a good choice.:2tsup:

orificiam
24th May 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Charlie welcome to Woodturning.I too have a Woodfast M305 I've had it for 2 years now and as not missed a beat.
Cheers Tony.:)

coffenup
25th May 2011, 07:39 AM
where are you doing your lessons charlie
regards michael

artme
25th May 2011, 09:30 AM
Goodonya Charlie!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

We are all crazies together, so you need never feel alone!!:D:D

cookie48
25th May 2011, 05:00 PM
Good on yah cobber. Another Crow Eater to show these Easteners that there are people living east of the border. Oh yeh welcome.

CharlieC
25th May 2011, 10:46 PM
Cheers for the replies folks, glad to add myself to the SA turning fraternity.
Michael, I am taking lessons through Macwood out at Norwood to answer your question.

chuck1
28th May 2011, 05:25 PM
aahhhh biten by the the bug! congrats! there is alot of fun ahead of you

oldstoker
31st May 2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the club Charlie, I see that a few of you other turners have woodfast lathes, and say that they are pretty good. I have just started to get into pen turning and am looking into getting a mini lathe, it is a toss-up between the woodfast M305 or the Carbatec mini lathe. Can anyone help me with this?
I was told that the woodfast although a very good lathe can be a bit of a pain when changing the belts over. Would like some feedback, thanks...
Regards Joe

coffenup
31st May 2011, 10:01 PM
changing the belts on the woodfast m305 is simple. you flip down the belt cover at the end of the lathe & loosen the tensioner and the belt comes off aor speed changed its so simple
regards Michael

oldstoker
31st May 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for that, will have to check one out.

CharlieC
31st May 2011, 11:34 PM
As Michael said changing the belt on the woodfast takes seconds, easy as, couldn't be simpler.
Can't comment on the carbatec as I have not used one.

Grommett
1st June 2011, 07:50 PM
Don't know about the newer woodfast models but on my oldie (C1000) it's a piece of something, takes seconds.