PDA

View Full Version : Project for your offcuts

brendan stemp
23rd May 2011, 10:26 AM
You will never throw out an off cut again. I have been playing around with epoxy resin for some time now and this is an idea I had been sitting on for a while.

tea lady
23rd May 2011, 10:29 AM
Cool! :pi: How much resin is in that? :hmm: (Would love to see an in focus pick! :whistling: )

Where do you get your resin from by the way! Do you have a bowl shaped mould?

brendan stemp
23rd May 2011, 10:39 AM
Cool! :pi: How much resin is in that? :hmm: (Would love to see an in focus pick! :whistling: )

Where do you get your resin from by the way! Do you have a bowl shaped mould?

I think you were too quick off the mark. The initial pics I posted were enlargements of pics I had reduced in size so they became pixelated. I have now fixed the problem. I think that's why you have suggested pics are not in focus.

tea lady
23rd May 2011, 10:49 AM
I think you were too quick off the mark. The initial pics I posted were enlargements of pics I had reduced in size so they became pixelated. I have now fixed the problem. I think that's why you have suggested pics are not in focus.:UThat would be it! Looking good!

murray44
23rd May 2011, 11:49 AM
I like that a lot. :2tsup:

I guess you're only limited by imagination when it comes to different things in the resin (and the ability to turn it of course).

I have no experience with resin but am impressed by the clarity of it.

Scott
23rd May 2011, 01:41 PM
Really like what you are doing with resin, especially the gumnut bowls on your website. I'm curious though, how much resin did you use in the bowl above? From my quick perusal of the web, clear epoxy resin is quite expensive.

For example: Clear Casting Epoxy Resin (http://www.aldaxstore.com.au/c/147731/1/clear-casting-epoxy-resin.html).

Thanks, Scott.

brendan stemp
23rd May 2011, 02:02 PM
I buy my resin in large quantities; 20kg and this makes it far cheaper. 20 kg costs me $511 which converts to about $25/kg or litre. Otherwise, yes it's expensive. I get my supplies from
https://secure.solidsolutions.com.au/view_products.php?cat=resin%2520jewellery (can someone let me know how to change these links to shorter phrases the way I see some do it).

In this bowl below I used close to a litre of resin but there are ways to fill voids so not so much resin is needed. For example, when doing the bowl below I filled the void in the middle of the bowl with a pine plug so I didn't need to fill it entirely with resin.

Once the resin has set it is treated just like a piece of timber.

tea lady
23rd May 2011, 04:06 PM
(can someone let me know how to change these links to shorter phrases the way I see some do it).

You type your word like "LINK" (https://secure.solidsolutions.com.au/view_products.php?cat=resin%2520jewellery) then highlight it with your mouse, then click on the link thingy up there and bobs your uncle!

I_wanna_Shed
23rd May 2011, 04:15 PM
Now they are some of the coolest turnings I have ever seen Brendan!

Nathan.

artme
23rd May 2011, 05:21 PM
Good stuphph BrendAn!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Saw photos of similar turnings where the fellow had used Walnut shells. It was very effective.

Robomanic
23rd May 2011, 07:42 PM
Nice one, very effective.

sturina
23rd May 2011, 09:14 PM
Those are a work of art, simply fantastic :2tsup:

John T
23rd May 2011, 10:16 PM
HI brendan
absolutely beautiful bowl turning and creative thinking.:2tsup::2tsup:

john.

dai sensei
23rd May 2011, 10:19 PM
certainly different Brendan :cool:

HazzaB
23rd May 2011, 10:35 PM
Hey Brendan,

Absolutely awesome, consider the Idea stolen, and it will be replicated, probably not a special as yours, I have been thinking about doing a similar thing with some pen blank offcuts, but thats another story.
I get my resin from Fibreglass and Resin sales in Welshpool, in Perth at about the same price that you do.

HazzaB

Ad de Crom
24th May 2011, 04:29 AM
Brendan, surprisingly beautiful, never had any thoughts about using epoxy resin.
This opens new perspectives for woodturners, it's artistic, but also functional.
Very inventive, really lovely work.
Ad :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
24th May 2011, 08:14 AM
Brilliant idea, so many options and variables it brings a whole new area to artistic woodturning, well done.

Michael Spain
24th May 2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Brendan, an extremely creative work, something that leaves of the habitual thing, is seen that the imagination of an artist has no limits, a work of art, congratulation.:2tsup:

Ozkaban
24th May 2011, 09:28 AM
Awesome idea and execution!

Quick question about the gumnut bowl - some of the gumnuts have been cut away in the turning leaving a hollow - how did you go filling that? Did you have to refill any of them after turning?

Cheers,
Dave

Cliff Rogers
24th May 2011, 09:28 AM
Interesting.

wheelinround
24th May 2011, 10:38 AM
Brendan lovely work nice to not see trapped air how did you achieve that.?? edit oops I do see a few air bubbles
What tools did you use to turn?
Lathe speeds?
Drying time for the resin? or did you turn it green ?
How did you suspend and hold the wood and nuts in place?

thompy
24th May 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm guessing here wheelie but i rekon using an inner (he mentioned the pine inner plug to save resin) and having an outer rough shape to pour it in, the pines weight would sit on top of the largest pieces in the gap and fill the gap to suit with nuts and follow with the resin, it'd be then just a simple matter of attaching the inner to the outer to stop it moving or floating up before the pour. If you put enough nuts in they would contact each other and hold themselves in place if you wedged a few at the top in the resin gap to secure em they wouldnt move.

It's very clever, so much you could do as well, you could half fill it with nuts, and cast it any whitch way and rely on the air to draw them to the top and feature it that way as well.

I'd like to see one done with say ping pong balls, it'd feature the airgaps and would be a bit of void turning, but i'd expect a pretty spectacular result depending on how much you turned either side, lot of resin though i'd imagine.

Even to an idea like using a small ammount of CA to affix something to the pine plug (or the outer mold for that matter), lets say for instance some mini matchbox cars, arrange them around the dome of the plug, attach the dome of the plug to a flat piece of ply, drill pour holes or air holes into the ply at the circumfrence of the plug, pop the plug into the base mold and pour, remove the outer and inner plugs (the resin shrinks away from the molds after set). Turn the outer sand the inner, kind of like pen turning a feather in acrylic except your using the inner brass tube as a removable plug, and its not a brass tube.

I rekon however he's done it, it's a smashing job. Kudo's Brendan. Looking forward to more.

Neal.

brendan stemp
25th May 2011, 08:56 AM
Awesome idea and execution!

Quick question about the gumnut bowl - some of the gumnuts have been cut away in the turning leaving a hollow - how did you go filling that? Did you have to refill any of them after turning?

Cheers,
Dave

The outside was not turned so the shape of the bowl is the shape of the mould. However, the inside was turned, hence the gumnuts were cut through which exposes cross sections. If you were to look at my avatar pic you will get an idea of what I used to do to make sure the gumnuts were filled with resin. Nelow is a bigger version of the pic. Nowadays I use a pressure chamber to ensure resin fills the voids.

brendan stemp
25th May 2011, 09:10 AM
Brendan lovely work nice to not see trapped air how did you achieve that.?? edit oops I do see a few air bubbles
What tools did you use to turn?
Lathe speeds?
Drying time for the resin? or did you turn it green ?
How did you suspend and hold the wood and nuts in place?

I think I have the bubble problem beat to a large extent. I find the best way to ensure a bubble free resin pour is to use a pressure chamber. The big gumnut bowl did not receive this treatment because I didn't have the chamber then. dai sensai has been a great help to me in the past with pearls of wisdom about resin casting and was the one who suggested the benefits of pressure chambers. I had a pressure chamber made up from a large gas bottle at considerable expense, but its been worth it. Others use painters pressure pots but they have limited space.

Resin is quite hard so I have found the lathe speed needs to be on the slow side but it is the gumnuts that present the problem; they are the hardest, most tool-edge-blunting material I have tried to turn. I have a collection of TC tools to cope with this.

I tend to leave the resin for about 48 hours before turning it. Before then and the reisn is little too soft and can smear when sanding.

The casting process was a little involved to explain easily but I did use a plug of pine to help take up space (to avoid using huge quantities of resin) and my mould was a cheap plastic salad bowl. I did more than one pour of the resin. Hope this helps.

wheelinround
26th May 2011, 10:16 AM
I think I have the bubble problem beat to a large extent. I find the best way to ensure a bubble free resin pour is to use a pressure chamber. The big gumnut bowl did not receive this treatment because I didn't have the chamber then. dai sensai has been a great help to me in the past with pearls of wisdom about resin casting and was the one who suggested the benefits of pressure chambers. I had a pressure chamber made up from a large gas bottle at considerable expense, but its been worth it. Others use painters pressure pots but they have limited space.

Resin is quite hard so I have found the lathe speed needs to be on the slow side but it is the gumnuts that present the problem; they are the hardest, most tool-edge-blunting material I have tried to turn. I have a collection of TC tools to cope with this.

I tend to leave the resin for about 48 hours before turning it. Before then and the reisn is little too soft and can smear when sanding.

The casting process was a little involved to explain easily but I did use a plug of pine to help take up space (to avoid using huge quantities of resin) and my mould was a cheap plastic salad bowl. I did more than one pour of the resin. Hope this helps.

Brendan thanks

OTGA had a demo day with Anna Dawes doing Epoxy & Resin casting if you ask one of the Vic members there was an article done in last months OTGA newsletter.

One member cam up with a novel way to pour small amounts which produced no air bubbles.

Thanks for the reply.

cookie48
26th May 2011, 11:31 PM
I rekon both pieces are really really great. My chances of casting are a long way away, but would like to try one day.

jim barbour
27th May 2011, 06:16 AM
I get my supplies from
https://secure.solidsolutions.com.au/view_products.php?cat=resin%2520jewellery (can someone let me know how to change these links to shorter phrases the way I see some do it).Hi Brendan ~

Nice work.

About shortening your URL: Tea Lady is exactly right, you can embed the link in a word or phrase, like this (https://secure.solidsolutions.com.au/view_products.php?cat=resin%2520jewellery), or you can actually shorten the URL using a service like Tiny URL (TinyURL.com (http://tinyurl.com/)). After passing it through tiny url your link above became http://tinyurl.com/3gx9b5a.

I use the service in professional (economics) publications and have found it to be quite easy to use and stable over time. Just copy the original address into your clipboard, navigate to Tiny URL, paste the link into the box, click the "make tiny URL" button and presto-change-o, a tiny URL is generated. Depending on the version of flash you are using the new URL may be placed in your clipboard automatically and all you have to do is go back to the original document and paste it. Otherwise, just copy and paste it from the output generated by tiny URL.

This is probably much more than you wanted .... :-

rusel
28th May 2011, 04:51 PM
Memo To saw operators
A box is to be placed near saws for small off cuts.

Management
Thank you

:q

chuck1
28th May 2011, 06:13 PM
very impressive! i like them!