PDA

View Full Version : Paulownia

whitewood
24th May 2011, 09:40 AM
I have been a Paulownia supplier for some time. This year the mill I get my larger planks from has been able to cut 75 x 200 mm and 100 x 200 planks for the first time. I have to restock very shortly and am prepared to bring some back if there was any interest in this timber for turning. I'm prepared to sell it in small quantities. Aust Post handles lengths up to 1 metre much cheaper than couriers do for the longer lengths. Before you ask I haven't priced it yet but I suppose the 100 x 200 mm will be approx. $50.00 per l/m and the 75 x 200 mm approx $37.50. Add my usual $16.50 P & H.

If interested respond any way you like including emails direct to me [email protected] I'll need to know before Monday the 30th so I can order it.

Whitewood

cookie48
25th May 2011, 05:19 PM
May I ask what is it please. Does it have nice grain etc.

whitewood
26th May 2011, 10:34 AM
I was hoping some turners would comment on this aspect of Paulownia based on their experience. All I can say is that I believe it is good to work with. The grain is not spectacular like some timbers but it does have soft patterns. Its real strength is the ability to take stains and glue. I suppose I should put some photos with this tread but my photographic abilities are not up to it. Couldn't do it for my web site so won't try here.

As an aside before I became involved with Paulownia we had purchased some small turned dishes for putting nuts etc. on the table. They were in rings of different coloured timber and with a gloss finish. We still use them on occasions and I now believe they were made in China from Paulownia.

Whitewood

robo hippy
27th May 2011, 10:31 AM
I have never turned any. It is also known as the Empress Tree, or Royal Empress Tree. The only commercial use of it that I know of is for a sound board for a Japanese stringed instrument, played on your lap, high bridge in the middle, plucked on one side of the bridge, and other hand on the other side of the bridge pushes the strings, kind of like a tremolo/whammy bar on a guitar. I heard another story about how a father would plant one when his daughter was born, and by the time she was of marrying age, the tree would be big enough to harvest for furniture. Very fast growing, and light weight. Some times great grain markings, whites, blacks and greys.

robo hippy

whitewood
28th May 2011, 08:50 AM
Robo hippy

There are a lot more commercial uses for Paulownia other than making Japanese musical instruments. In Australia the big commercial use is for plantation shutters, blades for blinds, lining board for walls and ceilings and caravan and boat fit outs. There are also business importing Paulownia in panels for office partitioning. There are numerous other commercial uses for Paulownia but there is not really sufficient Australian grown timber to satisfy these markets and I am told that the quality controls in China on the timber they export leave a lot to be desired.

Whitewood

leisureologist
28th May 2011, 04:45 PM
There are a couple of items (or there were) at the Bribie Art Centre turned by a chap. I initially thought they were plaster or ceramic or something till I got close. Very pale, faint grain but quite elegant in their own way. No idea how it was to work with but the result is quite nice.

whitewood
29th May 2011, 10:20 AM
I have just had a email from one of my customers who purchased some Paulownia to trial for making fishing lures.

I have copied the relevant part below -

"Hi John
the wood you sent me for lure making has been quite good .
It tears a bit when lathe turned , but once I was familiar with how
much I needed to allow for sanding smooth it was quite good & it sands
nicely .

Freehand shaping of asymetrical shapes it is fine..........it carves
cleanly.......so long as I watch the grain."

I have replied to the effect that extremely sharp tools are necessary to reduce the tearing. I experience this problem with my thicknesser blades.

Whitewood