PDA

View Full Version : finally got my lathe.

thompy
27th May 2011, 06:14 PM
Well finally got my lathe, and by default my old one becomes a disc sander soon.

Its a display model from H&F the same as a mc 900 i think, couple of faults with it, someone had knocked off the live centre while on display, a couple of screws for the stand are missing, and the banjo locking (little ones) handles are a little on the dodgy side,as a result i got it for $350.

Pretty well pleased with it considering i planned to do a 3 bearing engineering centre for it anyway (i think i read somewhere here that mjings have one cheapish) and down the track some cast legs.

I also got myself a H&F 100mm chuck, while its probably not the best it was the cheapest semi sealed and indexable type, not sure if the jaws are interchangable or not, however if it doesn't cut the mustard it'll do as a 2nd chuck.

I can't wait to set it all up and get it going, 2MT at both ends, cast iron bed lovliness, swivel over bed head for larger bowls, a chuck!! (the little things excite me these days i've never used a woodlathe chuck before) and a non belt swapping drive, yes i know its not super EVS but hey i'll take it.

Neal.

wheelinround
27th May 2011, 06:30 PM
:photo2: good score

thompy
27th May 2011, 06:34 PM
forgot the pics,

Neal.

hughie
27th May 2011, 06:34 PM
:U good one! I started out with a MC1100, you might find the swivel head has a few problems, but nothing you cant live with, definetly ditch the legs, a total waste of time , even with extra ballast.
Do a search on the forum as there have been several posts on various mods to this lathe.

thompy
27th May 2011, 06:39 PM
yeh hughie did you have any specifics?, i've seen the ones with the 3 bearing live centre and bench / cast iron leg change, its what helped me over the line instead of buying a mini. Anything else worth modifying or looking into?

Neal.

Ozkaban
27th May 2011, 06:43 PM
you'll be happy with that one :2tsup: They're like the Holden Commodore of lathes - they're everywhere, lots of spares, reasonably reliable.

there's a WIP build on at the moment in the forums here somewhere for a bench for one of these. Cast iron legs can cost a bomb.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
27th May 2011, 06:44 PM
here's the link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mc1100-lathe-cabinet-bench-storage-135618/)

wheelinround
27th May 2011, 06:45 PM
Well finally got my lathe, and by default my old one becomes a disc sander soon.

Its a display model from H&F the same as a mc 900 i think, couple of faults with it, someone had knocked off the live centre while on display, a couple of screws for the stand are missing, and the banjo locking (little ones) handles are a little on the dodgy side,as a result i got it for $350.

Pretty well pleased with it considering i planned to do a 3 bearing engineering centre for it anyway (i think i read somewhere here that mjings have one cheapish) and down the track some cast legs.

I also got myself a H&F 100mm chuck, while its probably not the best it was the cheapest semi sealed and indexable type, not sure if the jaws are interchangable or not, however if it doesn't cut the mustard it'll do as a 2nd chuck.

I can't wait to set it all up and get it going, 2MT at both ends, cast iron bed lovliness, swivel over bed head for larger bowls, a chuck!! (the little things excite me these days i've never used a woodlathe chuck before) and a non belt swapping drive, yes i know its not super EVS but hey i'll take it.

Neal.

MC900 it is We use this lathe at our club and at demo's.
The banjo handles re spring loaded you pull them out towards you and turn it to suit the best position. McJings or H&F will have replacements.
Th chuck takes Nova jaws I am told as a member also has one. H&F have other jaws available McJings sell as does Gary Pye the same chuck.

thompy
27th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Cheers Dave i've been following that thread and watching, i'll find a leg solution fast i rekon but not positive wether to make myself or go the cast iron ones, and Wheelie thanks, a couple of my thoughts answered before they became real questions..thats awesome mate thank you, as for the banjo handles i think the hex nut or the inner part of the handle inside it under tha springs are worn or broken to nothing, i'll be able to look into it more tomorrow, the nova compatability is awesome and i didnt realise mcjing and gpw did the saem one d'oh.

I'm kind of hoping i can get it to pen type accuracy, i'm pretty sure a few others have so far, and by that i mean if the lathe can be that accurate i'll only just be short of ability experience and time:q

Neal.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th May 2011, 07:59 PM
Provided that - when you slide the tailstock up to the headstock - the centre of the tail-spur sits at exactly the same height as the centre of the drive spur then it'll be fine for pen-making.

With the swivel head you can jiggle it a bit to cater for any sideways misalignment. But up & down misalignment is forever. (Well... unless you want to go the path of machining/shaving/shimming)

That was a good price; I hope she serves you well! :2tsup:

hughie
27th May 2011, 11:25 PM
yeh hughie did you have any specifics?, i've seen the ones with the 3 bearing live centre and bench / cast iron leg change, its what helped me over the line instead of buying a mini. Anything else worth modifying or looking into?

heres a couple to get you started

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mc1100-900-head-stock-wobbles-31145/

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/stand-design-94071/

thompy
28th May 2011, 12:54 AM
Provided that - when you slide the tailstock up to the headstock - the centre of the tail-spur sits at exactly the same height as the centre of the drive spur then it'll be fine for pen-making.

With the swivel head you can jiggle it a bit to cater for any sideways misalignment. But up & down misalignment is forever. (Well... unless you want to go the path of machining/shaving/shimming)

That was a good price; I hope she serves you well! :2tsup:

Yeap Skew, i am stoked at the price, and for now (my begining, for the most part i dont see me stretching its capabilities to the max, for now) it should improve over what i've experienced thus far by a long shot.

I cannot check my allignment really untill next week or so when i can get a live centre for it, i can estimate it close i guess. As for the shaving and shimming, i hope i don't have to, but i'll do what i have to. i did notice the mini's can spin 1000 rpm or so faster, thats a little bit concerning as i've read a lot of the mini guys run at full speed, in my case thats 2ooorpm for them a bit higher. my lowest speed is 500 i think, not sure if thats a concern either.

heres a couple to get you started

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mc1100-900-head-stock-wobbles-31145/

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/stand-design-94071/

Cheers Hughie, i read them both now, and i'm secretly hoping machining has improved since '06 when you made those posts (my own searching of the site didnt go back that far so thanks for the links), I'm not counting on it, but i do hope its not quite as bad as you experienced. It seems for the big stuff i've found commonly that it needs raw mass in the base to cope with larger turnings, and i'd gotten that impression.

The biggest thing i've turned thus far was a laminated bowl in school, about 260mm finished dia. initially i think i stretched the school's lathe capacity on it (probably 300mm), and i'm hoping this lathe will emulate that in principal. To get me back to square one so to speak.

Question for you though Hughie, is that chunk of camphor you had loaded up.. Is that, did you try the outboard swing of the headstock for it? Or did you focus on the allignment between centre wobbles first up? I love what you did to both stabilise and allign it, in the bench and the engineering thread locks. My lathe was pretty much preassembled so some of the shots in your post were new to me, whitch were good to see.

As an afterthought, and i dont wish to bore or be overly pedantic, in school i used a self expanding alluminium chuck for my bowl (i used a 4 independant and 3 jaw self centreing in metalworks though), i've seen the utility of and improvement on modern day chucking (and obviously common sence should prevail). With that said, there was no real manual for the 100mm chuck, are there any massive do's and don't in that regard?

Cheers again fella's.

Neal.

thompy
28th May 2011, 01:20 AM
Just wanted to add my thanks for you fella's following the thread and takin time to comment and enlighten me on all this stuff, my past knowledge and current research has gaps. I not only enjoy it more, i feel a lot safer and confident as a result. its greatly appreciated, thank you.

Neal.

Paul39
28th May 2011, 09:40 AM
thompy,

For a fast and dirty stiffening of the stand, put a piece of ply on the bottom for a shelf, cut two trapezoids to fit snugly into the ends above the shelf, and an X brace in the back. At least 12 mm ply, 18 would be better. Medium density fiberboard or wafer board would do as well.

Drill every 150 mm or so and screw through the legs into the ply. Put a 2 X 4 or the AU equivalent (50 X 100mm?) across the front and back, and put concrete blocks, bricks, buckets of gravel, dead car batteries, etc., on the shelf for weight.

The ply should cut down the ringing of the stand, and the weight make it stable.

Have fun!

artme
28th May 2011, 01:35 PM
Great score there Neal!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That should be a trusty lathe for most things, including pen turning when you have checked the alignment of the centres.

Have fun!! Go make some shavings>:)

Robomanic
28th May 2011, 09:36 PM
here's the link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/mc1100-lathe-cabinet-bench-storage-135618/)

Might be able to fit it tomorrow :U

Hi Neal,

Great to meet you at the TWWW show, I remember you talking about this lathe so I'm glad it worked out well :2tsup:

When the locking handles stripped out on mine, I went back to H&F with my reciept and they gave me two new ones over the counter. The hex nut and socket are not a good fit so once they get a bit rounded that's it. The guys gave me great service so if you wait till the dust settles a bit they might just give you a couple more. Banjo lock first and by the time I went in the tailstock lock had stripped too...

Robomanic
28th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Just an afterthough, I was prob going to chuck my frame when I get the cabinet finished, or at least leave it sitting around pretending that one day I'll find a use for the steel. It would be pretty easy to use them and yours to make a sandwich with 6-12mm ply between them. It will be much much stronger than just the legs. Mine has a full shelf too which might be handy. Yours if you want it.

thompy
28th May 2011, 11:56 PM
It's a good idea Robo, i like it, kind of laminating steel with ply, like Paul39 mentioned but on both sides. PM me some details mate and if your sure you dont want em i can pick em up when it suits you. Mt cotton isn't too far from me at Hemmant, and truth be told i'd like to see what youve done/doing with yours first hand.

I've literally only had it on for an hour or two earlier this evening. After i got my wall secured, engines moved, cut and nailed some cladding up, moved the bench, made a shelf, sorted the lights, and cleaned up, i got it out of the car at the end of the day and set it up.

I found it wont go to full speed as the belt skips off the motor pulley at setting 9 or 10. Then there is the buzzing/humming from the green onswitch, it goes away, however its a bit of a worry. Undaunted i grabbed a bit of framing pine and turned a little tea light holder.

I'm not sure how it would be with a much larger turning mass, but it seemed quite stable, and i had fun playing with the woodscrew and chuck, the steel legs didn't want to move or hop or ring.

It was fun trying to adjust the toolrest around the angles and tighten them with a flatblade, i might look into a different handle design alltogether. Knobs or something.

Neal.

Paul39
29th May 2011, 04:06 AM
I've literally only had it on for an hour or two earlier this evening. After i got my wall secured, engines moved, cut and nailed some cladding up, moved the bench, made a shelf, sorted the lights, and cleaned up, i got it out of the car at the end of the day and set it up.Neal.

The hook has been set!

munruben
29th May 2011, 07:43 AM
Looks like you are up and running, well done, have lots of fun with your new toy.:2tsup:

wheelinround
29th May 2011, 08:54 AM
All down hill from here i am sorry to say but its a long winding road have fun

Robomanic
29th May 2011, 09:45 AM
:U

I've literally only had it on for an hour or two earlier this evening. After i got my wall secured, engines moved, cut and nailed some cladding up, moved the bench, made a shelf, sorted the lights, and cleaned up, i got it out of the car at the end of the day and set it up.

I found it wont go to full speed as the belt skips off the motor pulley at setting 9 or 10. Then there is the buzzing/humming from the green onswitch, it goes away, however its a bit of a worry. Undaunted i grabbed a bit of framing pine and turned a little tea light holder.

That's the enthousiasm we like to see round here :U It might be falling apart or threaten to catch fire, but dammit I'm going to make something! Just watch those pulleys they are very brittle.

I'll let you know about the legs. I have serious space issues now. Car number 2 may have to live outside for a bit so the pressure is on to do the transplant and stop taking up the space of two lathes :C

artme
29th May 2011, 01:42 PM
All down hill from here i am sorry to say but its a long winding road have fun

What say ye Wheelin'???:?

It is more like a steep and slippery slope with lots of "Yippeee"" moments on the way!:D

thompy
29th May 2011, 07:39 PM
yippee moments? i had a day of em today, started on a downer when i cracked another pine tea light on a badly turned jam chuck, grabbed all the chisels and trudged out to the grinder in the shed, ground em up (new $3 chisel angle guage). Came back in and saw a workbench pine offcut of 140x45. Made a bowl and tried out a wire burn technique.

The neighbour saturday night broght me over a flouro to help my lighting, and returned today as i was finishing the bowl and handed me a small limb of hickory to try, think he felt sorry for me using my pine lol. I figured o well time to stretch my boundaries some, the wood spoke to me, so captive ring here i come.

I call it my Lord of the rings...eggcup. lol. i gave it back to him later in the day, he was very impressed and cut me more hickory to use (evil plan..sucsessful!! )

Still super annoyed at having to lock down the toolrest with a flatblade, and also that i cant yet get full speed, i might have to pack the motor out off the body to stop the belt jumping off at settings above 7.

Ebarrassing as it is i only have 120 grit bunny's no clog paper to hand atm. so the tea light the bowl and the eggcup are all finished to 120# EEE an glow.

(quietly incredibly happy with the finish i'm getting, and it will get better, i dont think eee really works well till you can get it 400# +)

Neal.

Robomanic
29th May 2011, 09:36 PM
Nice work there Neal. Did you hear the sound of the thin base around the chuck socket? That papery sound of a split or thin patch never leaves you :)

thompy
29th May 2011, 10:34 PM
yeap, i heard the chalky sound as i was jam chucking the second tea light, i knew it was tight and my allignment was slightly off, i knew i'd cracked it without looking at it, going to hang it up over my lathe just as a visual reminder.

The bowl though, i did with a refreshed grind on my $35 8 piece chisel set and put a fingernail detail grind on my smallest gouge (if you can call it that, its half scraper half round in profile), and i went at it oh so gingerly in the centre section, it wasn't until i got to that point and realised i should have initially chucked it with a block and glue. oh well. live and learn.

It still came out nice enough for the missus to suggest it'd be nice on her office desk for paperclips and what not. Things are looking up for me in that regard, it looks like i'll be able to turn a lot of stuff as it seems to be dissapearing hot off the lathe.

On the to do list is, ring the maintenance guy at H&F and see if i can pack the motor out or find a solution for the belt slip.

Go to the bolt shop and see if i can match thread the handles.

Neal.

thompy
30th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Rang the guys at H&F talked to the maintenance guy, who told me the lathe had been used once and probably was not brought up to full speed, gave me the belt part number and suggested i get perhaps one smaller and tune it that way, i think i'll get another belt and try to pack the motor as well if my current belt is the correct one.

The call wasn't a total loss though as when talking about the broken handles he made a suggestion of replacing them with an allen keyed headed bolt and using it instead. i think this is an excellent idea, bolt shop on wed evening, i bet it'll be cheaper than the $20 handles.

Neal.

orificiam
31st May 2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Neil congrats, on your new Lathe, I've the same model as yours,
I changed the original belt with a M22 3 months after i bought it, that was 9 years ago and is still going.
Cheers Tony, :)

thompy
2nd June 2011, 11:58 AM
Cheers Tony, i went and got a M22 belt and while it works it seems very very tight onto the base shaft of the motor pulley and doesn't reach the top of the motor's pulley when turned to full speed, so its perhaps an in between the two size, whitch is why i initially thought about packing the motor out off its mountings to compensate, i still might have to. While i got the lathe after one use, i'm not positive the belt was that way so i may just have a stretched M23.

I'll go back to the belt place i use and see if a metric belt (auto a series) can bridge the gap i have or get my M23 measured and compared, hindsight being 20/20 i should have taken my belts in the first place. The guy there tells me the M belt numbers are imperial.

As an aside to this issue i found i needed a new belt for the old lathe as well (pic), and the M22 was too long (looked close enough to try it out). Boy oh boy, i have probably the simplest shop out there at the moment, and i'm starting to feel like all i'm doing is maintenance on it. I do realise it has everything to do with my own choises and acceptable standards though.
On the banjo thing $2.95 for 6 of 20x10 allen headed bolts, got em home and perfect, had a look around for my allen keys:doh:. I think i'll want a stubby T style 8mm one made up. Another thing to get done!! The handle on the tailstock is actually stepped at the end of the thread to fit into the slot/slide, its ok for now if i treat it right, but i may have to use the vertical metal lathe and a file to make one of my bolts to fit.

Neal.

thompy
2nd June 2011, 06:41 PM
Replaced the belt with a new one M23 and now i have a full range of speed, the belt is half exposed at the top setting, but its not trying to leave the lathe at 8 at least for now, the original belt was obviously stretched even allowing for manufacturing differences, and i'll still have to pack the motor but not as much, quarter inch or so perhaps.

Also got a m21 belt for my old lathe.

While i was at my belt place spotted an 8mm 3/8in socket so i can use it as a banjo tightener, 8 bucks.

Rang mcjings and ordered and paid for a eng live centre at 60 deg, and a tailstock MT2 drill chuck. $108 delivered, i did consider a pen saver centre along with the mandrel, but i think i'll hold off on it till after i do a few with the live centre first. So very impressed with these guys, next day delivery aparently, thats service. They were great over the phone and great to deal with.

Went for a trip to the sandpaperman, who was so very helpful, great prices, and understanding, got my full compliment of abrasives, helped me out with his practical expertise, what a top bloke. I really do recomend them highly.

Only a few little tidy up bits now, and some more supplies and i'll be close to setup.

Neal.

Paul39
3rd June 2011, 02:49 AM
As an aside to this issue i found i needed a new belt for the old lathe as well (pic), and the M22 was too long (looked close enough to try it out). Boy oh boy, i have probably the simplest shop out there at the moment, and i'm starting to feel like all i'm doing is maintenance on it. I do realise it has everything to do with my own choises and acceptable standards though. Neal.

My daily lament is: "everything i own needs work"

Half the fun I have is making things work to my satisfaction for 1/2 to 1/4 the going price.

Not everyone has the funds to make shops like those featured in the fancy woodworking magazines.

I have found inexpensive sets of T handled hex wrenches at Harbor Freight here in the USA. As they are made in Asia, I suspect they could be found in AU for about the same price.

See: 10 Piece Color Coded T-Handled Hex Key Set (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-color-coded-t-handled-hex-key-set-37861.html)

I use them frequently changing jaws on my chuck and they have not worn or broken.

thompy
3rd June 2011, 09:38 AM
Cheers paul, i have a foldaway set of imperial ones, i should have a set of metric somewhere, i was mainly looking for a dedicated single one to use at the lathe to keep with it, and i did in a fashion.

I'm right there with you about saving a buck, and vs the time spent and maintenance, as much as i appear to whine and whinge about it, it does keep me occupied and my mind active and i know in some instances i'm better off for it. i could of had the new boxed lathe and accsessories i wanted for about $590-600. What i have now is the same working lathe with the mods and acsessories i wanted and now i've been over it inside and out i know it better for about $470-500. Some money left to spare for other area's, perhaps a pen mandrel and some stock.

My live centre and chuck arrived from mcjings today, was at the door when i woke. Man i'm impressed, phoned it after lunch yesterday, dawdeled to the bank in the arvo yesterday, on the doorstop thismorning. Going to go down and check my allignment.

Neal.

1. Chuck and centre.
2. The old lathe head with ply face.
3. The sandpaperman magic. (ps: you can see the 8mm allen key mounted socket i got for the banjo in this one)

Robomanic
3rd June 2011, 05:42 PM
Good progress Neal. I hate nothing more than working around and tripping over stuff, moving something three times becasue you put it in front of something I now need etc. I totally agree it's worth getting to know your machines and other tools. When something needs to be fixed you can have a crack, learn as you go and sort something out. I got my second hand bandsaw home and realised the main al casting that holds the cast iron table was cracked and needed to be replaced. Did not pick it up before I parted with the $ so maybe it happened as we loaded it into the car. Ended up patching it and didn't have to wait nearly as long as a replacement part, or part with more $ (pics are up in the bandsaw forum if you're interested).

clarky
7th June 2011, 10:06 AM
I've got the same lathe, I mounted it onto my very solid bench which stops all vibrations. I have made numerous pens, egg cups, a couple of bowls etc, and have had no trouble at all. I use a supa nova chuck.
Recently bought a Woodfast midi lathe, which is in some ways vastly superior to the above, but I don't see any reason not to keep the MC to keep on making pens and smaller things.
Enjoy your machine
Clarky