PDA

View Full Version : Camphor vase

bowl-basher
3rd June 2011, 10:56 AM
Hi All
I finished this vase the other day and I think it one of the prettiest bits of camphor the I have seen. it has colour,swirls and ripples all in a piece that is 120 high and 100 in dia, the walls are from 4 mm at the top to 8 mm at the base, finished to 600 and 4 coats of Mirrortone Precat 20/30
love your comments
Regards
Bowl Basher

thompy
3rd June 2011, 11:09 AM
Really pretty BB, love the form you chose too, well done.

Neal.

sjm
3rd June 2011, 11:12 AM
Lovely, well done!

bellyup
3rd June 2011, 12:29 PM
really well done and very spekky piece of camphor!!

RufflyRustic
3rd June 2011, 12:54 PM
wow! The finish is just superb and shows off the grain completely!! you must have been so happy to see what came out as you turned it :):2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd June 2011, 03:22 PM
Love it BB :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
3rd June 2011, 04:20 PM
Graham, a perfect shaped camphor vase, the camphor used for this vase is contributing the stunning result. Boy, what a miracle of how wood can be.
Ad :2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
3rd June 2011, 05:43 PM
I like the vase, nice work.

mkypenturner
3rd June 2011, 07:43 PM
thats a great piece of camphor nice work

Allan at Wallan
3rd June 2011, 08:09 PM
Absolutely superb - one to be proud of and kept in
your collection.:2tsup:

Allan

sturina
3rd June 2011, 09:33 PM
That looks magnificient! It has a great shape and colour. A quick question on Camphor for the guru's. I just bought a few blanks of it for bowls, does it always have such a strong eucalyptus type smell? Walk into the garage and certainly no sinus troubles for me!

RETIRED
3rd June 2011, 09:44 PM
does it always have such a strong eucalyptus type smell? Walk into the garage and certainly no sinus troubles for me!Yep.

thompy
3rd June 2011, 10:53 PM
1st thing i bought myself when i started my first job, first paypacket, was a carved camphor chest, tis what mothballs are from, i can still go stick my head in it and cop a fair slap from the smell after 25 - 26 years.

Bought myself a bowl blank of this as well at this yrs www show, looking forward to turning it, not sure what to do about the wax coating it has though.

Neal.

artme
4th June 2011, 08:24 AM
Wonderful piece of Comphor that you've done such a great job on!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
4th June 2011, 10:31 AM
1st thing i bought myself when i started my first job, first paypacket, was a carved camphor chest, tis what mothballs are from, i can still go stick my head in it and cop a fair slap from the smell after 25 - 26 years.

Bought myself a bowl blank of this as well at this yrs www show, looking forward to turning it, not sure what to do about the wax coating it has though.

Neal.

To soften the wax coating you can leave it in the sun and scrape it off, put it in an old microwave and warm it medium temp and only 10 to 15secs at a time not the household one. Or like most of us just turn t off on the lathe.

thompy
4th June 2011, 02:23 PM
Cheers Wheelie, i'd never come across it before. i knew its a stabilising method but as a turner i wasn't sure if it permeated deep into the grain, my fear was in melting it or turning it that it wouyld progress down into the grain as i went.

Neal.

GSRocket
5th June 2011, 11:33 PM
....... A quick question on Camphor for the guru's. I just bought a few blanks of it for bowls, does it always have such a strong eucalyptus type smell? Walk into the garage and certainly no sinus troubles for me!
You try stump grinding Camphor......almost knocks you out.