PDA

View Full Version : Woodchuck Unitool

eisbaer
4th June 2011, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone,

This arrived in the mail from the US on Thursday, so today I set about making a handle. The handle is scribbly gum, and makes it a total of about 25 or so inches long (the tool is 12 inches).

Other than being my 'go to' bowl turner, I plan on making something of a basic captive hollowing rig for this one. Nothing too deep (I do only have a midi lathe) but enough to keep it stable to about 7 inches or so. I'm not sure if the stock carbide scraper bits will be overtaxed with hollowing, so I may end up putting a cup shaped cutter on it for the initial plunge cuts and then reverting back to the scrapers for finishing. Any advice here is welcome.

As I post this, all the timber in my garage has fled into the shadows in fear. This thing looks like a beast of a tool. Can't wait to get it into action.

dai sensei
4th June 2011, 08:25 PM
The handle looks a bit short to me, but up to you what is comfortable for you.

I put 400mm handles on both my CI1 and CI0 (similar square and round cutter bit tools).

eisbaer
4th June 2011, 08:36 PM
Hi Dai Sensei,

I agree the handle seems a bit short, but it feels very comfortable in the hands. Also, the photo makes the handle look shorter than it actually is. It makes up a bit over half the total length, ferrule included. Once it's in the hollowing rig, it won't matter much.