PDA

View Full Version : Woody Pear

Crackerboy
5th June 2011, 11:34 PM
Has anyone worked with this?

All the usual questions, how does it work, etc.

I've just taken a fair sized specimen down and it seems quite a dense wood , also the colours look pretty good! Seems a shame to burn it!

Thanks in advance.

artme
6th June 2011, 08:21 AM
Woody pear is A Hakea, so it is related to the Grevillias and such.

I have turned a few pens from it. The result was uninspiring but the the wood was ok to turn, Nigger pieces, particularly where you might get knots and so on, would probably be very interesting

stuffy
6th June 2011, 12:33 PM
Western Australian Woody Pear is a different tree to the eastern states one.

It's a lovely timber for turning if you can get a big enough piece.
It isn't very dense, it's very easy to cut, open grained but finishes well.
It has the most beautiful colour, deep reds and light browns with white sapwood.

It is, however, very susceptible to borers so make sure they're not still active in your finished piece or you'll have nice little saw dust piles in your display cabinet. DAMHIKT. :-

I wouldn't recommend it for pens, it's too soft, but it makes lovely vase shapes with natural inclusions and irregular shapes left as a feature.

More info here

Woody Pear (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/species/native_forests/woody_pear.aspx)

I absolutely love it. Wood like this is why I love woodturning. I have taken a piece of this from a friends firewood pile and in a few minutes turned a simple vase that left my friend gobsmacked by it's beauty.

Feel free to ask for any more specific info.

Best wishes

Steve
:)

artme
6th June 2011, 04:59 PM
Well there ya go!! I've learnt something new to=day!! Thanks Stuffy!!:2tsup::2tsup::)

bookend
7th June 2011, 02:32 AM
Nigger pieces, particularly where you might get knots and so on, would probably be very interesting

:o:o:o :blond:

artme
7th June 2011, 06:45 PM
Blond moment indeed!!:B:B:B

One key away from the target!!:o

BlackbuttWA
8th June 2011, 12:20 PM
The Woody Pear ( Xylomelon occidentale) is a soft wood & like She-Oak it darkens in colour when a bush fire has passed through.

The one pen I turned has come out a dark brown, but still has some grain showing.

HTH

Cheers
Col

Touchwood
14th June 2011, 10:43 PM
Beautiful stuff - I was only given about 2 x 2m lengths on Sunday - about 300mm in diameter .... can't wait for it to dry!!! Ends seals and waiting now for a 2nd sets of muscles to help me lift it off the ground to store.

JD