PDA

View Full Version : SA Blue Gum

brendan stemp
8th June 2011, 10:04 AM
Has anyone turned it? If so what is it like? Colour? Stability? Your impressions would be appreciated.

Sawdust Maker
8th June 2011, 05:07 PM
I thought you were posting a piccy of something speccy :doh:

BlackbuttWA
9th June 2011, 12:22 PM
I scored this at a WAWA Workshop last year. The guy had a trailer of offcuts & said this was Sydney Blue Gum.
Very nice grain which has a touch of "Curly" about it.
Just a tad hard, finished with BLO.

HTH

Col

brendan stemp
9th June 2011, 01:36 PM
I scored this at a WAWA Workshop last year. The guy had a trailer of offcuts & said this was Sydney Blue Gum.
Very nice grain which has a touch of "Curly" about it.
Just a tad hard, finished with BLO.

HTH

Col

Thanks Col. Sort of what I expected.

Checked out your website. I have a desire to get over to WA one day and I just might need to drop in a your beautiful part of the world.

Sawdust Maker
9th June 2011, 05:43 PM
Is Sydney Blue Gum the same as SA Blue Gum?

pommyphil
10th June 2011, 07:10 AM
:no:

HSS
15th June 2011, 11:30 PM
In my experience, if it's green it's pretty unstable and you're likely to get checking during the drying process. It'll tear out more than red gum too as it's a stronger grain (less powdery). I'd suggest using a skew for the finishing cuts rather than a gouge or scraper.

NeilS
23rd June 2011, 05:09 PM
Brendan

The colour on the sample from BlackbuttWA is mostly what I see here in SA.

There is some variation in the colour between sapwood and heartwood. See second photo.

173998 173999 174000

Not easy to get a finish without some tearout with that tight interlocking grain.

Tricky to season without getting those wriggly cracks, but attractive in my opinion.

Does make great mallets!

bellyup
24th June 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Brendan,
Have a look at Vern's (TITT's) egg colection,I'm sure there is Blue Gum.
Bruce.

brendan stemp
26th June 2011, 10:57 AM
Brendan

The colour on the sample from BlackbuttWA is mostly what I see here in SA.

There is some variation in the colour between sapwood and heartwood. See second photo.

173998 173999 174000

Not easy to get a finish without some tearout with that tight interlocking grain.

Tricky to season without getting those wriggly cracks, but attractive in my opinion.

Does make great mallets!

Thanks Neil, most helpful. Have you been away? You have been very quiet on the forum of late.

NeilS
26th June 2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks Neil, most helpful. Have you been away? You have been very quiet on the forum of late.

Yep, been away interstate. Big family reunion (100 descendants of paternal grandparents) which I also help organise. Back on the wood now.