PDA

View Full Version : What are the Vicmarc VL250 lathes like?

bellyup
11th June 2011, 12:42 PM
G'day Guys,
There is a Vicmarc VL250 variable speed lathe for sale that has my interest. Has anyone have any thoughts on this unit? Much difference between that and a 300?
Many thanks,
Bruce.

stevo81
12th June 2011, 07:54 PM
Not to sure bout a VL250 i have never seen that model and cant see it on their website :?is it new? I have the VL300 short bed version, been used at least once a week for the past 4 years since i got it new and i FREAKING luv it. It runs smooth and quiet every time. Highly recommend it :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Stevo

Jim Carroll
12th June 2011, 08:07 PM
The 250 was before the 300.
The one you are looking at probably has a lever on the front to give you the variable speed.

It is possibly a 3 speed unit with a reeves pulley setup.

Still a very good lathe.

bellyup
13th June 2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks Jim and Steve.
I am now the proud owner of a Vicmarc VL 250 deluxe with a lever variable speed :D:D I've been waiting a long,long time for a good lathe at the right price
Figured I couldn't go too far wrong with a privately owned Vicmarc, very pleased with the deal - and he's throwing in a 14" bandsaw and dust extractor - how can I say no ????
That was the good news - now I have to get it from Toowoomba to Broken Hill :C
Bruce

turnerted
13th June 2011, 04:55 PM
Bruce
Sounds very similar to my VL200 delux that I have been turning on for about 10 years .I am sure you will be very happy with it .
Ted

Paul39
15th June 2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks Jim and Steve.
I am now the proud owner of a Vicmarc VL 250 deluxe with a lever variable speed :D:D I've been waiting a long,long time for a good lathe at the right price
Figured I couldn't go too far wrong with a privately owned Vicmarc, very pleased with the deal - and he's throwing in a 14" bandsaw and dust extractor - how can I say no ????
That was the good news - now I have to get it from Toowoomba to Broken Hill :C
Bruce

Were you holding a gun to get such a deal?

bellyup
15th June 2011, 11:39 AM
G'day Paul,
Yeah, I know what you mean, I didn't even haggle. I offered him what he was asking ($1500) and he said if I take it at that price he would throw in the dusty and b.s.
I thought about it for 4 nano seconds and bought it sight unseen. Somehow I'll have to get it from his place to mine - about 1200km - and I don't know how I'll lift 250+ kg:no:
How does everybody else move these things about - pallet jack?
I am very excited but the Minister of War and Finance is underwhelmed, try explaining that a new Vicmarc is $5-7K and I have saved thousands and the eyes just glaze over... well just don't expect me to wax lyrically about the next pair of high heels that come home from a sale!!!
Bruce.

Paul39
15th June 2011, 12:29 PM
Bellyup,

Take your tool box and lots of cardboard boxes. Take the tailstock, tool rest, motor, and everything that will come off the lathe bed and put in boxes with cardboard between.

Take the lathe bed off the stand and load that into your vehicle to one side. Lay the band saw on its back on the other side. Put the lathe stand and dusty between the lathe bed and the band saw and pack the boxes between. Put cardboard between everything and brace and tie the band saw so it doesn't flop over.

Be sure to ask for any odd bits that may pertain to turning. One can easily pick up $100 or more worth of centers, chisels, grinding jigs, etc.

Two people can handle a modern band saw in one piece. Tip over backwards, one person holding the cast iron frame at the top, the other holding the base or legs. If it is a pre - 1950s saw take it apart. (Makers were not afraid to put a little iron in the mold back then.)

When you get it all home, put the stand where it will live and put it all together, cleaning and oiling as you go.

If you have a camera take lots of photos in place before you start.

I brought my 1060 pound South Bend Heavy 10 metal lathe 55 miles home in a Ford Festiva, known as a Kia Pride in Asia. I took it all to bits and just had room for me when loaded. Only about 250 pounds overweight.

That is a pretty long trip, but you are best served by packing and hauling yourself. Unless shippers are experienced in moving machinery it is often damaged.

Good luck getting your new toys.

Sawdust Maker
15th June 2011, 04:40 PM
I am very excited but the Minister of War and Finance is underwhelmed, try explaining that a new Vicmarc is $5-7K and I have saved thousands and the eyes just glaze over... well just don't expect me to wax lyrically about the next pair of high heels that come home from a sale!!!
Bruce.

Next time finances come up expect to hear 'how much is that in lathe dollars' :doh:
In my experience goes on for a few years :doh:

Congrats on your purchase :2tsup:

Pat
15th June 2011, 04:55 PM
Bruce, lucky you didn't buy a new lathe, that matter still gets mentioned at this time of the year . . . when MBGitW has been seeking out girly stuff.:U

Paul39
16th June 2011, 05:38 AM
Next time finances come up expect to hear 'how much is that in lathe dollars' , in my experience goes on for a few years
Congrats on your purchase :2tsup:

For those young enough or newly married: three accounts, House Money, Your Money, My Money. That may be three columns in a spread sheet or three separate bank accounts.

House Money - enough put in to pay for food, housing, insurance, children, doctors, etc. basic overhead of living.

Your Money & My Money - crazy money, discretionary money equally divided. Each partner has a certain amount by the week, month, or year to do with as they please.

How the above is funded is the sticky part. One may work out, the other keep house and raise children. Both may work, one may have a huge income, the other much less. Both may work out with roughly equal incomes and share housework, child rearing, etc.

Each partner needs to have a stated crazy money fund, that is theirs to spend for anything they want.

I am retired, divorced, with adult children that make more than I ever did. I live with a 20 pound, 34 inch long nose to butt orange striped cat who cares not if I come home with huge hunks of cast iron rotating machinery, so long as the cat box is kept reasonably clean, fresh water supplied, and his 1/3 cup of dry diet cat food is supplied three times a day.

RETIRED
16th June 2011, 08:27 AM
who cares not if I come home with huge hunks of cast iron rotating machinery, so long as the cat box is kept reasonably clean, fresh water supplied, and his 1/3 cup of dry diet cat food is supplied three times a day.If only wives were that easy to please.

Ducks and heads for cover.

hughie
16th June 2011, 09:39 AM
I am retired, divorced, with adult children that make more than I ever did. I live with a 20 pound, 34 inch long nose to butt orange striped cat who cares not if I come home with huge hunks of cast iron rotating machinery, so long as the cat box is kept reasonably clean, fresh water supplied, and his 1/3 cup of dry diet cat food is supplied three times a day

Tis so often the case, that wisdom comes with age along with the knowledge of whats realy important to a man :U

If only wives were that easy to please.
Ducks and heads for cover.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Braver man than me . My wife stand 5ft tall and some days she seems to be 8ft tall. :U

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

RETIRED
16th June 2011, 01:03 PM
Gees, only 8'? :D

switt775
16th June 2011, 04:37 PM
For those young enough or newly married: three accounts, House Money, Your Money, My Money. That may be three columns in a spread sheet or three separate bank accounts.

House Money - enough put in to pay for food, housing, insurance, children, doctors, etc. basic overhead of living.

Your Money & My Money - crazy money, discretionary money equally divided. Each partner has a certain amount by the week, month, or year to do with as they please.

How the above is funded is the sticky part.

We came up with this solution about 2 years ago. No problems on funding. All money is pooled, we are each allowed the same fixed amount each week as fun money. Makes no difference who is putting what into the pool, because when one is working more, the other is doing more around the house.

Used a chunk of my money last year to upgrade my lathe. Not sure what I'll do with it this year, but I know there won't be any need to negotiate or explain.:D

Allan at Wallan
16th June 2011, 08:51 PM
With the better lathe I expect to see improvements
in your woodturning Bruce.:D

What am I talking about? ... when I dropped in a while
back you already had exhibition quality items on show.

Hope it goes well for you.:2tsup:

Allan

bellyup
17th June 2011, 09:59 AM
Allan, you silver tongued devil, you can come visit anytime :B

Paul39
18th June 2011, 01:44 AM
If only wives were that easy to please.

After two wives, two divorces, and a couple train wrecks, I figured out what works for me.

Hughie: Braver man than me . My wife stand 5ft tall and some days she seems to be 8ft tall.Second wife was 4' 11" tall, 100 pounds. Dynamite comes in small packages.