PDA

View Full Version : heres the answer to your power bills

hughie
14th June 2011, 06:13 PM
:U not for some, but then................

Woodworking Lathe | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Woodworking-Lathe-/230633667111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35b2d67a27)

Pat
14th June 2011, 08:11 PM
Just perfect for the pen turner . . .

mkypenturner
14th June 2011, 08:15 PM
Just perfect for the pen turner . . .

not true :! i looked at the pulleys and the ratio isn't fast enough :D:D

Christos
14th June 2011, 08:27 PM
Could be something for me to restore.

Yeah I know finish one then get onto another project.

(http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lathe-rest-wip-134509/)

:U

wheelinround
14th June 2011, 10:13 PM
Could be something for me to restore.

Yeah I know finish one then get onto another project.

(http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lathe-rest-wip-134509/)

:U

Thought this was plan B

If I had the room shed $$$ etc I would be bidding

wheelinround
14th June 2011, 11:07 PM
I just had another look using the zoom. Treadle rest is broken look under the plates, wheel spoke broken, headstock end of bed looks like its rusted away and about 1/2 way along. All in all not bad resto job. Man could my legs get a work out using that. No dusty required, no noise just tools on wood..........:U

tea lady
15th June 2011, 12:10 AM
:oo: I want it!:D :C Pick up might be a killer! :doh: :cry:

:rolleyes::D

Paul39
15th June 2011, 01:12 AM

Tea lady, If you really want it, arrange with a local turner to pick up and store it until you can get it. Or have any turners going in your direction pass it along until it reaches you, or you can pick it up closer.

There are a bunch of old iron crazies in the US that move machines weighing several tons across the US from machinist to machinist until they arrive at the new home. Sometimes it takes months or years, but the machines eventually get there.

See: Antique Machinery Haulers' Group Membership Signup . . . - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/antique-machinery-haulers-group-membership-signup-162478/)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th June 2011, 03:07 AM
I'd love to have it myself. Put it next to my other and see if I can get 'em to breed... :U

Personally the first thing I'd do is throw that fly wheel to kingdom come and put something meatier on instead. It'd take a bit more to get up to speed, but with a larger dia it'd give a higher top speed and the extra mass would allow you to "coast" occasionally.

Ozkaban
15th June 2011, 08:48 AM

I work in the next suburb (Parramatta), and would be happy to help arrange transport for someone, if it would be of assistance. Storage indefinitely would be an issue at my house though - LOML wouldn't be too grateful :D

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
15th June 2011, 09:46 AM
Tea lady, If you really want it, arrange with a local turner to pick up and store it until you can get it. Or have any turners going in your direction pass it along until it reaches you, or you can pick it up closer.

There are a bunch of old iron crazies in the US that move machines weighing several tons across the US from machinist to machinist until they arrive at the new home. Sometimes it takes months or years, but the machines eventually get there.

See: Antique Machinery Haulers' Group Membership Signup . . . - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/antique-machinery-haulers-group-membership-signup-162478/):think: Could be a possibility! Then I'd HAVE to go on a holiday!:D

tea lady
15th June 2011, 09:49 AM
I work in the next suburb (Parramatta), and would be happy to help arrange transport for someone, if it would be of assistance. Storage indefinitely would be an issue at my house though - LOML wouldn't be too grateful :D

Cheers,
Dave:D Might have to keep an eye on the auction! :U

:CPut a few bits on. Someone else must really want it!

wheelinround
15th June 2011, 11:19 AM

You having a blonde moment AM surely not :p with 3 nice gents coming to Sydney this weekend from Victoria and auction finishing this weekend a slight detour after the SWWS to pick it up and transport it back with them for such a lovely lady like your self.:;

hughie
15th June 2011, 06:52 PM
There you go TeaLady. :2tsup:

The broken bits look like they are all cast iron, so it would be a fairly simple process to repair and get back to original. It wont weigh much and should knock down into a fairly small package, all in all very do-able.

I am pre-occupied with other matters and things to get involved with any more restoration projects at the moment. :no:

orraloon
16th June 2011, 12:40 AM
By the look of it I would not like the chances of geting it working again. I would imagine the bearings are not replaceable. When all that rust is removed there will not be a lot left. On the other hand it is a great lookng bit of kit and if you have the space for it would be a good conversation piece.
Pity it was let go to that extent. Must have been a gentlemans lathe. Anyone who made a wage at turning would have had something a lot more utilitarian.
Regards
john

hughie
16th June 2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah you might have to get involved with line boring and so on. If the headstock is detachable should be ok, otherwise a bit of a challenge if not :o :U

tea lady
16th June 2011, 05:11 PM
There you go TeaLady. :2tsup:

The broken bits look like they are all cast iron, so it would be a fairly simple process to repair and get back to original. It wont weigh much and should knock down into a fairly small package, all in all very do-able.

I am pre-occupied with other matters and things to get involved with any more restoration projects at the moment. :no:Well I 'm not getting it! :shrug: Went over $50. Which I thought was a bit silly! Someone had parked a high bid on it! :rolleyes:

hughie
17th June 2011, 02:21 PM
up over 70 now and looks like it/ll go too a 100 :no:

Paul39
20th June 2011, 10:50 AM
$198.50. Wow!

The buyer must know something I don't. It is pretty, but not all that useful as a user lathe, even if made to work well.

Here is a metal lathe all tarted up that drew no interest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130531771597&si=anJ16E8Qw%252Bsz3ptkoNgz2MGkU%252B8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

orraloon
20th June 2011, 12:27 PM
OK the big question is who got it? If they are a member then we would all like to sit in and watch the resto.
Regards
John

hughie
20th June 2011, 05:48 PM
$198.50. Wow!

A tad over the top methinks.

Paul39
21st June 2011, 04:09 AM
A tad over the top methinks.

Agreed. However, there are people in the world who have money. Better it be sold at a high price and preserved, rather than scrapped.

I was chatting with some folks about turning at an auction house last year. A gentleman over heard and said he had a lathe for sale. I followed him to his place which turned out to be a no longer working farm. He gave me a tour of the place which included 5 rustic cabins paneled in barn wood, nicely furnished with older good furniture, rugs, etc. He rented these out as vacation cabins.

His shop was about 40 X 60 feet, wired for 3 phase, and full of surplus wood working machinery from furniture factories. 12 inch 5 HP table saw, 24 inch jointer - planer, morticer, shaper, big radial drill press, 36 inch band saw, 14 inch radial arm saw, some machines in small, medium, & large, etc., etc.

The lathe was an old Oliver but only 12 inch swing, with a cobbled up motor set up. It had been a line shaft machine from the 20s or 30s. He wanted $500 with only a face plate. As I allready had a 14 inch swing Hegner, and the Oliver would need some sorting, I passed.

There was a 20 X 40 foot side shop where he worked on small things.

He said a lot of the rustic and salvaged timber used in the cabins was worked in the big shop. He did have several wood workers and grounds keepers working there.

I learned later that he was a dentist to Hollywood stars and had a substantial income and a lot of free time. How much hands on work he did in the shop I do not know.