PDA

View Full Version : Mallee Burl Bowl

sjm
19th June 2011, 02:29 PM
My first time turning a mallee burl. Glued to a faceplate, then parted off square and hand carved the foot ring, because I have no simple way at the moment of reversing such a bowl. A longworth chuck is on my todo list.

Finished with two coats of cedar traditional wax, which really brings out the red. However, I should have filled the holes first - next time I'll use coffee. Still, I'm satisfied for a first attempt. It's a lovely piece of timber, and the photos really don't do it justice.

bellyup
19th June 2011, 03:35 PM
G'day SJM,
Nice piece of wood and a good finish.
How come you couldn't mount the burl to do the base first?
Sometimes the coffee and epoxy filler can be a bit over the top for light coloured burl - try straight clear epoxy first in the small voids and see how it looks - that's my two bob's worth.Great effort.
Bruce.

sjm
19th June 2011, 04:25 PM
How come you couldn't mount the burl to do the base first?
Bruce.
Actually, I did turn the base first, but with all the catches I was getting, the damn thing kept jumping out of the chuck! I eventually got sick of it, parted it off, and just glued it on.

CharlieC
19th June 2011, 04:50 PM
That's a nice bit of burl, and you have turned a beautiful bowl.
In a previous thread someone posted a link to a homemade chuck to use to turn off bases, I found it helpful and I am in the process of making one. It maybe something you could use also, so here 'tis...
Cheers

Homemade Chucks - The Woodworkers Institute (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=633)

turnerted
19th June 2011, 05:42 PM
This a nice looking bowl despite the problems you had with the base .
I would not bother to fill the cracks in a burl bowl . They are a feature, also although you got a good finish with the wax you will always get bits of wax stuck in the cracks . I would consider an oil finish for your next one .
Ted

DaveGlx
19th June 2011, 06:39 PM
Very nice bowl:2tsup:
Love the colours and grate finish.

artme
19th June 2011, 08:21 PM
The best looking burl bowl I've seen in a long time.

The form and colouring are terrific!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Swino
19th June 2011, 09:25 PM
Nice bowl - well done!!

I fill the majority of the small cracks / voids with dust from sanding and thin superglue. I find I sometimes have to repeat this process several times during sanding to get the cracks filled properly.

For finishing the base I use a pressure plate. Basically a disc of mdf with insertion rubber glued onto the face. Pressure from the tailstock is enough to hold it in place while turning the base (all but about 10mm in the centre). To tidy up the centre simply place a sanding pad in the lathe and sand it off. I have made them in several different sizes and have finished the bases of 600mm + bowls with this method.

For finish Kunos Oil or Danish Oil are the best.

cookie48
20th June 2011, 12:27 AM
That is nice bowl. I rekon you would spoil it it you filled the holes. They are all part of the texture of the timber. Leave them in it. ( that's my say anyway)

oldiephred
20th June 2011, 01:39 AM
Very nice bowl. Re: filling the holes. Two comments. 1/ we cannot improve on nature so why try. 2/ At best, filling the holes will make it look like one tried and missed so the result looks worse than the original problem.
fine job!!

smiife
20th June 2011, 08:21 PM
hi sjm,
the bowl looks great as is,nice finish and form ,
you should very pleased ,great work!

vtbao
21st June 2011, 01:18 PM
Nice work. Love the color

Sawdust Maker
22nd June 2011, 08:08 PM
That is one very pretty bowl :2tsup: