PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Working with wood show.

Ozceltic63
20th June 2011, 09:27 AM
So who spent up big at the show?

Wongo
20th June 2011, 10:27 AM
Me. I spent $300. :D

Pat
20th June 2011, 10:44 AM
$500 on a couple gouges, books and finishing supplies. No timber this year, I just haven't got the room:;

Ozkaban
20th June 2011, 11:28 AM
Not I :cry4::cry4::cry4:

Didn't get to go at all this year. Couldn't get the time off on Friday, Saturday was a Chook Workshop run by the local council and Sunday was taken up with me running from Woy Woy station to Gosford - a gentle 12kms which I knocked off in 53:30 - 3:10 quicker than last year :cool:

Still, the VM120 chuck I bought off Brendan counts as a 'near enough to show time' purchase :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

sturina
20th June 2011, 11:48 AM
I think around the $300 mark. Mainly on nice bits of timber, some finishing supplies and workshop bits. I can't wait to get some time to play with them.

Wongo
20th June 2011, 12:19 PM
I bought 2 boards of Birdseye Tas Blackwood from Greg. It is pretty interesting stuff.

A bloke from Tas was selling some Tiger Myrtle veneers. Initially I offered to buy the whole stack of 30 sheets. We couldn't agree on a right price, so ended up buying 10 sheets.

brendan stemp
21st June 2011, 01:55 PM
I spent $4.50 on an orange juice at the nearby market but helped lots to part company with their money. Had an enjoyable time and managed to put faces to a few forumites names.

rsser
21st June 2011, 03:57 PM
Chook shop!

Barely redeemed by the 120 :wink:

Ashore
21st June 2011, 07:45 PM
Couple of hundred , got a good price on some bessey clamps as they were packing up , some drivers , thick super glue and a spiral up cut bit of Roger Gifkin . Had the pleasure of watching him make his last exhibition at box making as he is now retired :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
21st June 2011, 08:11 PM
Some Chuck Jaws and glue and sanding discs from Jim
Some goodies from Gifkins
Little bit of Solomon Ebony
Laksa from that mate of Wongo's

Oh and parking from that monopoly:o

Looked at some titan chisels but they'd been wrecked by the cleaning process

arose62
21st June 2011, 10:35 PM
Wasted $10 on entry at 4:00PM on Sunday.

Got to watch the last half of whatever had been on show get packed up.

Nothing crossed off my shopping list at all :(

Sawdust Maker
21st June 2011, 10:53 PM
Wasted $10 on entry at 4:00PM on Sunday.

Got to watch the last half of whatever had been on show get packed up.

Nothing crossed off my shopping list at all :(

So we'll see you Saturday mornin next year!:wink:

Ozceltic63
22nd June 2011, 09:17 AM
Ok we spent

about $3000

One Cougar DVS Lathe
One Cougar DVS midi Lathe
One Nova Chuck
And some tools and bits n pieces.

:2tsup: fun day. hip pocket is a bit sore though.

Sawdust Maker
22nd June 2011, 09:31 AM
You'll need a second chuck for the little lathe :doh:

Ozceltic63
22nd June 2011, 09:34 AM
Nah

The chuck on my old lathe is the same thread size. :D

issatree
22nd June 2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Ozceltic63,
Well you've got me, as I thought I knew most of the Lathes around, but I'm not aware of a
" Cougar DVS Lathe ", Googled them, but to no avail.
I did know of a Cougar by Woodfast, with 3in. round bars, but quite a few years ago now.

Big Shed
22nd June 2011, 11:08 AM
Trend Timbers » Cougar Lathe - Xmas Special - $1900.00 (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=144)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/teknatool-dvr-xp-lathes-recent-experience-116003/

Ozceltic63
22nd June 2011, 01:36 PM
Trend Timbers » Cougar Lathe - Xmas Special - $1900.00 (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php?id=144)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/teknatool-dvr-xp-lathes-recent-experience-116003/

What he said. :aro-u:

A few of the members of our club have bought and love the Cougar.
Wendy Fell in love with the Midi as soon as she saw it. :2tsup:
No more arguing over who gets use the lathe, as we'll have two. :2tsup: :2tsup:
Just gota offload the old lathe i have. Probly ebay it.

Liam

wheelinround
22nd June 2011, 08:58 PM
Liam I heard a tale of 3 Cougars being sold but not 2 to the same family :o. Like the look of the little fellow myself but have enough with the Jet & Nova +++.

Nowonder you both were smiling when you walked out the door, no wonder Adrian was doing a dance an smile on his face told a story also.

So will there be a lathe for sale i know a fellow after one :rolleyes: he's also a Western Sydney member now.

Ozceltic63
23rd June 2011, 02:24 PM
l'll probably put a notice up at the club first. If no takers ebay.

nz_carver
24th June 2011, 04:10 PM
So the thing we all want to know is how can we get one of them Wendys you talk about:B???

Now if she lets you buy a lathe and her a mini lathe for her
were are we all going wrong with our wifes G/Fs and SWMBOs???

I mean if any of use came home from the wood show with a mini lathe for our wifes
it's safe to say we might just get a frying pan to the side of the head:o

Ozkaban
24th June 2011, 04:27 PM
we might just get a frying pan to the side of the head:o

Well now, that's a bit sexist and stereotypical. My wife would never do such a thing and would be offended at the mention of it.

She'd use the iron :duck:

nz_carver
24th June 2011, 04:43 PM
Na it's cell phones now days they use them to ring up and order food
Lmao

Sturdee
24th June 2011, 05:21 PM
I mean if any of use came home from the wood show with a mini lathe for our wifes

At a previous WWW Show I was convinced that I needed to take up turning so shortly after I bought a lathe and tools and chucks and grinders and am still buying :D and no complaints from my wife and only encouragement of my daughter, also a turner.

Peter.

Christos
24th June 2011, 06:56 PM
As yet only looking and restoring a lathe.

The more that I read the more that I think I will be in trouble.

Sturdee
24th June 2011, 11:39 PM

Get it working and then get all the other things. Then you will reorganise your workshop to make more room.

Finally you will need twice the room to store wood so you look for more storage space. I'm going to convert an old chook shed and covered run into a wood store soon. :D:D May do a WIP as I will again be using recycled materials.

Peter.

wheelinround
25th June 2011, 09:51 AM
As yet only looking and restoring a lathe.

Christos you are doing a good job on the resto its helping you learn heaps from the bottom to the top about lathes.

Now as for shed matters well the fish tank stand should have had you worried about the shed then.

tart looking at storage ideas shelves, cupboards, benches your going to require all these to store the wood, tools, mount grinders, linisher/sanders, drill press, pen kits & parts plus a clean area to assemble them. Oh clean area for finishing too. Its a looooooooooooooooong list but you'll get there one day. Then you'll think NOPE not happy with that layout, tool, machine and have to start organising all over again :doh:

Christos
25th June 2011, 09:03 PM
I have been cleaning up the garage after the last build and that got me thinking what do I have a lot of? The answer is wood. So how can I give away all this wood? :dunno:.....Nah.... come up with something else. :gotcha:

wheelinround
26th June 2011, 01:22 PM
I have been cleaning up the garage after the last build and that got me thinking what do I have a lot of? The answer is wood. So how can I give away all this wood? :dunno:.....Nah.... come up with something else. :gotcha:

:roll: I see another bench build coming on a shelves install :o hang on what am I saying you have wood to give away :p forget last statement Chritos or ideas.:;

chuck1
26th June 2011, 01:28 PM
i got project parts and some finishes from ubeaut also sandpaper! caught the train so i couldnt spend to much!but there is canberra in september! after tax time!

Ozceltic63
28th June 2011, 12:44 PM
So the thing we all want to know is how can we get one of them Wendys you talk about:B???

Now if she lets you buy a lathe and her a mini lathe for her
were are we all going wrong with our wifes G/Fs and SWMBOs???

Wendy came along to the get together at your place last year.
Buying the Lathes was actually her idea. :D :D :D

Liam