PDA

View Full Version : Hello and some pots

yarrabilly
24th June 2011, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for quite some time - initially in the general woodwork areas - so thought it was long overdue for me to introduce myself.

I discovered woodturning about 9 months ago and have to say that the bug has bitten pretty hard. I started out on a very old MC900 clone that destroyed itself after I pushed it a little too hard... I've since upgraded to a VL175. Needless to say that the difference is astounding.

I'm entirely self taught at the moment and still very much a beginner but have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment - even the failures. Although destroying a hollow form when trying to take one cut too many does invoke some expletives... This forum has been incredibly useful in helping me through some of the problems and I'm constantly amazed at how willing the incredibly knowledgeable people are to share and assist others. Truly one of the best forums I've seen regardless of subject matter.

Anyhow, my first offering below. Three pots turned from blackwood. Largest is 110mm high and about 90mm at its widest point. All comments and criticism more than welcome. Apologies for the pic quality - I'm a beginner in photography as well...

john

sjm
24th June 2011, 01:06 PM
Very nice, a great first post.

Allan at Wallan
24th June 2011, 05:59 PM
Very nice work Yarrabilly ... love blackwood, one of
my favourite woods ... plenty of it around this area and
around yours too. Enjoy the forum ... great ideas and
lots of friends to learn from.:2tsup:

Allan

DaveGlx
24th June 2011, 07:33 PM
very nice pots:2tsup: Like the shape and proportion.

kcam
24th June 2011, 07:46 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: Great form and proportion suggest that you pay a bit more attention to finish (or maybe it's the photo).......fantastic result as a beginner, the journey has begun:D

Sawdust Maker
24th June 2011, 08:30 PM
Nice
Looks good to me :2tsup:

TTIT
24th June 2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the forum John. Looks like your off to a roaring start - very nice forms :2tsup:

NeilS
25th June 2011, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Going by your first offerings I'm looking forward to seeing your future work

orraloon
25th June 2011, 01:31 PM
Great hollow forms. Blackwood is a nice timber.
Have you a hollowing rig or are you just stretching how far you can overhang with hand tools.
Regards
John

yarrabilly
25th June 2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. This is pretty much the first time I've shared anything outside of family let alone with people as skilled as those in this forum. Nice to get some positive feedback.

Kcam - the photo ain't great but I suspect the finish could be better as well.

orraloon - using a Sorby RS200 for the bulk of the hollowing and some homemade tolls ala Ellsworth for the harder to reach places.

Thanks again guys.

john

munruben
26th June 2011, 08:52 AM
Really nice. great work.:2tsup:

artme
26th June 2011, 09:21 AM
G'day John and welcome to the turning addiction!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great pots!! Love the shape and the proportions you have achieved!!