PDA

View Full Version : Started badly, but....

Bruce White
24th June 2011, 01:37 PM
Thought I would have a go at one of the waxed blanks of Tasmanian timber I have had drying on the shelf for over a year. This was a plain looking Leatherwood block about 200x200x130. It had warped strangely in a sideways direction. Started turning only to find a patch of rot. Removing this made the end result a lot smaller than planned at 120w x 100h. But the upside! As I got into it, what I thought was plain wood turned out to have this sensational colour and pattern - I am guessing it was the edge of a burl or maybe a crotch or is it funny spalting?. Burl or crotch might explain the strange warp in drying. Sadly, the photos do not do justice to the colour. Dropped the damn thing when I brought it inside - you can't see the scratches in the photos but I know they are there. Guess a re-sand and poliish is coming up!

The platter is silky oak 270 x 25, both finished with wax. Bought some Shellawax paste the other day and will give that a go next time. Wanted EEE too but they were out of stock. Be interesting to compare the finish to my normal wax process.

bellyup
24th June 2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Bruce,
Great job with the Silky Oak platter - looks very pro. Not sure about the final shape of the vase, looks base-heavy to me, a little like a pub beer glass. If you refined the curve in from the shoulder to the base it would look "lighter", if the shoulder was say 120mm, then look to make the base around 40mm, that ratio usually works well on vase shapes but of course that 's my opinion only. Nice bit of wood.

Bruce White
24th June 2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for you comment. I agree about the shape but I find it hard to cut away beautifully figured wood in case it is plain underneath. Need more courage!

bellyup
24th June 2011, 03:20 PM
Mate, It's only wood. Take a teaspoon of concrete and harden up!!! :q