PDA

View Full Version : Mudgeeraba Show

dai sensei
26th June 2011, 06:11 PM
Just finished the Mudgeeraba show here on the Gold Coast. My local club, the Gold Coast Woodturners Inc put on a fantastic display in one of the huge sheds, with 2 lathes going flat out for the 2 days of the show demonstrating. It was a great show, perfect weather, with heaps of people.

I was supposed to have an hour of demo'ing, but like a lot of the members, hung around all day today :p. I took some Budgeroo and some Red Mahogany to turn with, with the intension of turning trinket boxes. I ended up demonstrating over a number of sessions (~3-4 hours total) turning a few trinket boxes from the Budgeroo, 3 yo-yos and a heap of spinning tops from the Red Mahogany :2tsup:. Unfortunately I got the old Vicmark lathe with the speed set at full speed (~3500?), as I didn't know how to change the belts, plus a simple chuck as it it was different thread to the chucks I brought with me :(.

The kids got the yo-yos and spinning tops, some of the lucky yummy mommy's got the trinket boxes :rolleyes::U. This one was the last trinket I made and the only thing left from the day. It is not perfect by any stretch, but not bad either for 45mins work from branch to box, sanded to 600 then single coat of shellowax.

Cheers

RufflyRustic
26th June 2011, 08:36 PM
sounds like heaps of fun Neil:). I'm guessing you were too busy turning to take many photos :D

STAR
26th June 2011, 09:18 PM
Well done Neil.

I also had two entries in at the show. Not in the woodturning but in the Arts and Crafts pavilion where I received a 1st in the ( Toys section can be wooden ) with another of prime Mover's T Model Ford fire truck.

This time I changed a few things on the plan to make it just a bit more jazzed up and showy when I thought about entering it in the show a few weeks ago.

My second was an afterthought. It was a carved wooden keg bottle stopper that was going into the novelty section but they said it had to go into the sculpture section which was completely out of my league as a beginner woodcarver.

They surprised me by getting a second, so next year I will be a bit more organized.

Pete

dai sensei
26th June 2011, 09:26 PM
A 1st and 2nd, you got to be happy about that Peter :cool: Well done :2tsup:

I was too busy to enter anything in the woodturning comp.

I didn't even take the camera Wendy :doh:. Hopefully soemone else might post some photos, plenty of club members had cameras.

artme
27th June 2011, 08:16 AM
Well done mate!!:2tsup::2tsup::)

Michael Spain
27th June 2011, 09:32 AM
Great job and beautiful wood, but I agree with the moderator, should have some photos of your demo:doh:, greetings from Canary Islands.