PDA

View Full Version : First few attempts on a lathe

toddbron
27th June 2011, 08:57 PM
Hi,

Have attached a few photos of some candle holders that I have made on my lathe. The first one was mango that I turned on my first lathe which was a GMC. I have since upgraded to a HAFCO WL 20. Not the best around but a significant upgrade from a basic GMC. My entire workshop is a 3m by 3m lawn locker that has a 2m long workbench with disc sander, table saw, sliding compound mitre saw, router table, drill press and heaps of other assorted tools. As well as all the lawn care equipment. I NEED A BIGGER SHED. All advice or tips greatly appreciated. My next project will be a chess set made out of teak for the white pieces and beefwood for the red pieces. Should test me out.

The first candle holder is made out of mango and then finished with varnish. Not sure of what the second timber is but I based the design on a celtic design from the 3rd century BC and finished it with beeswax.

Was happy with how it turned out.

Todd

cookie48
27th June 2011, 09:07 PM
Todd. Well done. Looking forward to you progressing and showing more. You can never have a big enough shed. Mine is 40x20 and still to small.

quarterpound
28th June 2011, 12:58 AM
I think somewhere around 40x20... you have to change the name from"shed" to "factory"... ;)

bellyup
28th June 2011, 09:48 AM
Good on you Todd, Look forward to seeing the chess pieces. You should have some good timber up your way I'd think.
Bruce

turnerted
28th June 2011, 05:30 PM
A good start Todd .
By the way, the only teak I have ever used was more like chocolate brown than white .
Ted

orraloon
29th June 2011, 12:20 AM
Hi Todd,
Off to a good start. Keep posting.
Regards
John