PDA

View Full Version : What is the best glue for felt lining jewellery box

ClintO
21st December 2004, 08:26 PM
I am just finishing some jewellery boxes for my nieces xmas presents and have a problem trying to line the insdies with flet.
I tried a watered down PVA with no success.
What is the best way to get this done? Contact adhesive makes me nervous as you only get one chance to get it right.

Clint

graemet
21st December 2004, 08:30 PM
Timbecon have flocking powder and the appropriate adhesive at very reasonable prices. No cutting of the felt, no joins, no wrinkles!
Cheers,
Graeme

Dan
21st December 2004, 10:32 PM
Or glue (PVA, cyano or contact) the felt to thick cardboard first then put it in the box, that way you can wrap the felt around the cardboard and get nice clean edges. I don't like the flocking powder much because bits of it keep comming unglued over time.

gatiep
22nd December 2004, 01:38 AM
flocking powder
Not as durable as felt.

:)

DarrylF
22nd December 2004, 06:07 AM
Spray adhesive - like the Bostik stuff from Bunnies etc. Works really well on velvet, though I haven't tried felt. I cut a piece of 3mm MDF about 1/8" undersize for the base of a box, cut the velvet around an inch larger all round, spray adhesive on both, drop the velvet in place and wrap the edges around.

It's not instant tack like the contact cement in a can - you have more than enough working time to stretch it into place etc. Works a treat.

AlexS
22nd December 2004, 09:26 AM
flocking powder
Not as durable as felt.

:)
Joe,
Are you saying it's no flocking good? :D

ribot
22nd December 2004, 03:54 PM
I've used "F9" which is an aliphatic glue, worked fine. F9 is a woodglue which I painted ( with a small artists brush of appropriate size) onto the inside of boxes and then placed the felt against the glued surface. Seems to work fine.

DPB
22nd December 2004, 05:14 PM
Or glue (PVA, cyano or contact) the felt to thick cardboard first then put it in the box, that way you can wrap the felt around the cardboard and get nice clean edges. I don't like the flocking powder much because bits of it keep comming unglued over time.

There are a couple of reasons why I like to follow Dan's recommendation.
• With time the linings of a jewellery box become tatty-looking.
• If glued directly to the timber surface, it is near impossible to remove it cleanly.
• Cut the card-stock to the inside dimensions of the box in one piece and glue the lining to the card-stock.
• To replace and/or clean, lift out the whole lining.
• If the lining covers the inside verticle walls of the box, fold the lining material over the top edge of the card-stock which hides it and gives the lining a crisp edge. It is usually not necessary to glue the card-stock to the timber. A tight fit will keep the lining in place. If required, a few drops from a glue gun will secure the card-stock in place.

Flocking is a poor imitation of a properly done job, and it is almost impossible to get an even coating. The result is a blotchy looking job.

warrick
22nd December 2004, 09:08 PM
I am just finishing some jewellery boxes for my nieces xmas presents and have a problem trying to line the insdies with flet.
I tried a watered down PVA with no success.
What is the best way to get this done? Contact adhesive makes me nervous as you only get one chance to get it right.

Clint
You can buy self adhesive sheets of flock, my wife uses it in her craft work
Not sure where to get it but I can ask if you wish

Warrick

echnidna
22nd December 2004, 09:10 PM
Why did you water the pva down??

j.stevens
23rd December 2004, 10:39 PM
I've made a box like this recently and a sewing box this week for a Chrissie present.
The trick is to use self adhesive felt from Spotlight - I am sure they have one in Sydney. Hate the place myself - you can be there for hours trying to get served. The next trick is to send in SWMBO if available to buy it for you!
But seriously they do sell it about A4 size and I just cut with a sharp blade, peel off the backing and bingo.
Cheers J. Stevens in Brisbane.

soundman
23rd December 2004, 11:06 PM
no need to be frightened of contact cement.
if you are using it with cloth or felt you can get away with having it a little green when presenting it up which gives you some latitude, actulay you can get away with it being a lot green (just pretend its not a contact cement) the brushable sprayable grade is best.
when you need to remove it to renew the lining just dampen the cloth with some thinner & it shoud come away in a little while, any adhesive residue is no problem to the new glue

ClintO
24th December 2004, 10:29 AM
Echidna made a good point, I dont know why I watered down the PVA.
I tried again will full strength and it has adhered reasonably well
Clint

MathewA
24th December 2004, 04:10 PM
Watering down the PVA allows it to be applied in a much thinner "wash" coat. Not a good idea for wood to wood glueing but more than enough for felt to wood.

Echidna made a good point, I dont know why I watered down the PVA.
I tried again will full strength and it has adhered reasonably well
Clint