PDA

View Full Version : spalted beech form

cornucopia
2nd July 2011, 05:17 AM
hello folks

here is the first piece from a batch of beech i've been spalting for a few months
its 6" wide by 4" tall with a 11/16" hollowing hole

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/a-cornucopia/P1090860-1.jpg
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/a-cornucopia/P1090864.jpg

yarrabilly
2nd July 2011, 09:19 AM
Beautiful. I love these sort of forms. Question: is there a tiny foot or does it rest on a curved surface?

john

Scott
2nd July 2011, 09:37 AM
Beautiful forms and timber there. One question from me. I thought spalting naturally occurs. From this comment of yours:

here is the first piece from a batch of beech i've been spalting for a few months

Can you actually spalt timber using some sort of fungal process?

Thanks,
Scott.

artme
2nd July 2011, 09:48 AM
Another beautiful piece from those skilled hands of yours Cornucopia!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Robomanic
2nd July 2011, 09:50 AM
Nicely done :) I'd also like to know how you can manipulate the process.

bench1holio
2nd July 2011, 09:56 AM
great looking peice george, nicely proportioned

CharlieC
2nd July 2011, 12:12 PM
Beautiful piece, I love it.
I would be interested in hearing about your spalting process. I currently have a couple of tea tree logs sitting in the compost heap as an experiment. Getting some fungus and mold growing, it would interest me in how long your process took.

brendan stemp
2nd July 2011, 12:54 PM
I'd be happy to have it on my display shelves. Beautiful stuff. Well done.

You can spalt timber simply by putting it on the ground in a damp place. Nature will take over and the moulds/ fungi will take over. Some timbers wont spalt. Some will. I know that balckwood (acacia melanoxolyn) spalts. Redgum wont.

cornucopia
2nd July 2011, 04:36 PM
thank you

the piece does sit on a little flat spot about 1 1/4" wide

my technique is simple (like me) I buy the fresh beech, stack it on pallets, throw on a few spalted shavings or leaves whichever I happen to have, cover it with old blankets, then leave it for at least 18 months- the area its stored is also covered over by a large shade net like the ones used in green house's.

keep it out of the sun-reduce airflow-keep it moist and warm and you should have spalting

please note- spalted wood can be very dangerous, always use lots of dust protection when working with this type of wood.

smiife
2nd July 2011, 04:53 PM
HI CORNUCOPIA,
very nice ,i like the spalted timber, you have done a great job :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
4th July 2011, 05:31 PM
Very nice shape, that :2tsup:

like the wood too :2tsup:

Robomanic
5th July 2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to giving it a try.

joevan
8th July 2011, 01:10 PM
Hello Cornucopia,
This is a stunning hollow form. You have done very and you should be pleased with the result.
BR, Joe v K.

cornucopia
8th July 2011, 04:29 PM
thank you for all of your kind comments