PDA

View Full Version : Will you follow the Sydney to Hobart yacht race?

Iain
22nd December 2004, 12:51 PM
Having competed in two I will be following this closely, better than watching fooball and a bit more entertaining than cricket.
Might also take the heat off Zed for a while too :D

RETIRED
22nd December 2004, 12:53 PM
Yep.

Iain
22nd December 2004, 12:57 PM
Wow, 100% for, what a great response, no, hang on, thats mine :rolleyes:

Wood Borer
22nd December 2004, 01:28 PM
The trouble it is not very well broadcast or reported. Probably not popular with lots of people so the coverage is limited.

I always take a keen interest in the race because of the little bit of sailing I have done.

Termite
22nd December 2004, 01:31 PM
I wont be following the race. My 15' tinnie can't take the weather in Bass Straight. :rolleyes: :D

silentC
22nd December 2004, 01:48 PM
I'll give 'em a wave as they go by.

craigb
22nd December 2004, 02:16 PM
Couldn't give a rat's about rich blokes and their toys.

Although I'll probably switch over to the start during the lunch break in the cricket. :D

himzol
22nd December 2004, 02:58 PM
I'm not much of a sailor, but would love to one day say that I've done it. Oh yeah I do take an interest it's just that as woodborer said, the coverage is P1ss poor.

Himzo.

bitingmidge
22nd December 2004, 03:44 PM
I'll follow on the web as usual, the TV coverage isn't worth a cracker after the start, or even during it really.

Did PR for the Gladstone race quite a few years ago, gave live reports to air from "Race Control" every hour, from my living room table and faxed copies to every newspaper radio and TV station.

Papers are at a bit of a disadvantage, but don't know what they are reporting anyway.

Was a bit of a feat really to provide "live" coverage with 8 hourly radio schedules..... these days with sat stuff, there's no excuse except the media doesn't care.

P
:( :( :(

bitingmidge
22nd December 2004, 03:54 PM
Did I happen to mention that the whole thing is spoiled as a contest because really fast boats can't enter. We are stuck watching mon-hulled things that have to carry a hundred times their hull weight just to keep them upright...and if you are racing that doesn't make sense.

There are only three kinds of yacht: Tris, Cats and Dogs!

:D :D :D

Cheers,

P

Grunt
22nd December 2004, 06:06 PM
I would follow the race but I find that swimming from Sydney to Hobart is just a little too far and the water is cold once you get past Eden.

ozwinner
22nd December 2004, 06:07 PM
Grunt!

You could go half way, then turn around.:D

Al :)

Cliff Rogers
22nd December 2004, 07:35 PM
I might watch the start, if the TV is on & I notice it.

I might also watch the day's highlights in the news, if the TV is on & I notice it.

I might even watch the finish, if the TV is on & I notice it.

fxst
22nd December 2004, 07:45 PM
As the only guy that could walk on water is being born in a couple of days time and was nailed up (ww content) for it I dont intend to follow in his footsteps as I would only sink
Pete

outback
22nd December 2004, 07:55 PM
I won't be watching, for two reasons realyy. Firstly I don't really care. Secondly I'll be at a BBQ at a friends place with several others, and by the time the race starts I'll not be caring for very much, except the cricket score of course.

ernknot
22nd December 2004, 08:25 PM
Yes, very interested. Doing a bit of sailing down here and we have 7 boats from Tas. in this years race. Should be good.

Iain
22nd December 2004, 08:40 PM
Toys for rich boys, not always, I sailed for the RAAF with their entry and you will always find that some yachties are looking for a crew, they only seek enthusiasm not money.
Give it a go sometime but be warned it's bloody hard work.

craigb
22nd December 2004, 09:07 PM
Give it a go sometime but be warned it's bloody hard work.

Yeah, four days sitting on the weather rail getting drenched intermiitantly. :rolleyes:

Not for this little black duck

Christopha
22nd December 2004, 09:47 PM
Love it but as the telly reception at the shack is pretty poxy till I scratch up some bucks for a new aerial I shall probably miss the start..... I shall more than likely be out changing the water in my craypopt anyway! :p :p :p

Dan
22nd December 2004, 10:13 PM
Did I happen to mention that the whole thing is spoiled as a contest because really fast boats can't enter. We are stuck watching mon-hulled things that have to carry a hundred times their hull weight just to keep them upright...and if you are racing that doesn't make sense.

P
I agree Midge, something like this would certainly liven things up. :D
125'(38.1m) long and 60'(18.3m) wide

bitingmidge
22nd December 2004, 10:24 PM
Or how about a little 60 footer like Hydroptere shown here at a mere 39 knots!

Kev Y.
23rd December 2004, 01:30 PM
I would follow the race but I find that swimming from Sydney to Hobart is just a little too far and the water is cold once you get past Eden.

DITTO, plus I get sea sick as well

MajorPanic
23rd December 2004, 06:22 PM
It's WAAAAAAY more interesting than cricket :D http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Then again I'm a bit biased, I crewed on offshore yachts for several years ;) :D

MajorPanic
23rd December 2004, 06:25 PM
Or how about a little 60 footer like Hydroptere shown here at a mere 39 knots!
Multi's are for sailors who can't trim sail properly http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon13.gif ;) :D ;)

Iain
23rd December 2004, 07:59 PM
Ha ha ha, very good, and a couple of years ago I saw an ad for a yacht:

For sale, Flying Dutchman 18 footer, good cond, ideal beginners boat.

Still have a chuckle over that one having used to compete in them :D ;) :p

MajorPanic
23rd December 2004, 08:21 PM
Ha ha ha, very good, and a couple of years ago I saw an ad for a yacht:

For sale, Flying Dutchman 18 footer, good cond, ideal beginners boat.

Still have a chuckle over that one having used to compete in them :D ;) :p
Or how about an add I happened to see a few years ago, " 62 footer, carbon fiber hull, fast cruising boat, easy to sail" I sailed on it and there was NOTHING below decks except for 4 pipe bunks & a sail locker :eek: :eek:

Iain
23rd December 2004, 08:25 PM
MUst have been a Farr :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
23rd December 2004, 09:59 PM
Or how about an add I happened to see a few years ago, " 62 footer, carbon fiber hull, fast cruising boat, easy to sail" I sailed on it and there was NOTHING below decks except for 4 pipe bunks & a sail locker :eek: :eek:

So what else do you need to go cruising???

:confused:

P :D

MajorPanic
23rd December 2004, 10:20 PM
So what else do you need to go cruising???

:confused:

P :D
How about..... refrigerating, toilet, chart table, permanently mounted communication equipment?? & a crew of 6 (4 gorillas & 2 normal people) + helmsman!!
Besides that, not much really.......... ;):eek::eek:

bitingmidge
23rd December 2004, 10:38 PM
How about..... refrigerating, (for girls)
toilet, (for girls)
chart table, (for girls)
permanently mounted communication equipment?? (girls1)
& a crew of 6 Wha......!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
(4 gorillas & 2 normal people) Nah, Zed and his mates can stay home annoying you lot, and I wouldn't ever take a "normal" person on a boat!!

One girl + helmsman!!

Oh, now I see, it would be a bit of a handfull with only one hull!!

P (Actually had friends who circumnavigated without any of that stuff, 'cos they said it would have just meant spening another $110 a week and they could happily live without it.)

MajorPanic
23rd December 2004, 10:45 PM
How about..... refrigerating, (for girls)
toilet, (for girls)
chart table, (for girls)
permanently mounted communication equipment?? (girls1)
& a crew of 6 Wha......!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
(4 gorillas & 2 normal people) Nah, Zed and his mates can stay home annoying you lot, and I wouldn't ever take a "normal" person on a boat!!

One girl + helmsman!!

Oh, now I see, it would be a bit of a handfull with only one hull!!

P (Actually had friends who circumnavigated without any of that stuff, 'cos they said it would have just meant spening another $110 a week and they could happily live without it.)
Easy on a 40'er, not so easy on a pocket-maxi ;)

bitingmidge
26th December 2004, 02:03 PM
So what gives???

12.54pm Boxing Day.

Hobart Race coverage starts in six minutes on Channel Ten.

Race has been going 55 minutes according to the website and ABC radio. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gee I love live coverage,

Thanks TEN.

(Insert naughty descriptive word of your choice to describe this absurd treatment right here!!)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

P

Shane Watson
26th December 2004, 05:56 PM
yeah but what a start!

SYDNEY TO HOBART (www.rolexsydneyhobart.com)

Barry_White
26th December 2004, 08:20 PM
So what gives???

12.54pm Boxing Day.

Hobart Race coverage starts in six minutes on Channel Ten.

Race has been going 55 minutes according to the website and ABC radio. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gee I love live coverage,

Thanks TEN.

(Insert naughty descriptive word of your choice to describe this absurd treatment right here!!)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

P
Well your government will keep you an hour behind the real world.