PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions on small projects

Tiger
4th July 2011, 11:43 AM
We are thinking about going overseas and I thought that I might make some small woodturning items as gifts.
Q1 Apart from pens/letter openers/bottle stoppers what other items would make small and easy to carry gifts?

Q2 What can I do once I've arrived overseas to restore the nice shine/luster that is invariably lost once a woodturning item sits in a box for some time. I won't have access to a lathe, drill or other power tools so will have to do things by hand. Thinking that a rag with a bit of wax might do the job but is there a better way?

Tiger
6th July 2011, 09:02 PM
Let's leave question 1 for now, anyone have any thoughts about question 2 ie restoring shine/finish on items.

RETIRED
6th July 2011, 09:41 PM
What are you finishing with to start with?

dr4g0nfly
6th July 2011, 11:24 PM
I'll have a go at question 1.

How about Christmas Ornaments; Hanging or Free Standing; Christmas Trees, Angels, Snowmen, Icicles, that sort of thing.

Finish is still a problem but if where you are going has children then a couple of coats of Acrylic Sanding Sealer is enough as the children can paint their own decoration on them.

sjm
7th July 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned simple things like weedpots or mushrooms. Made from classic Aussie timbers, these can be very attractive and a good talking point. They take bugger all time to make, and occupy no space at all.

Sawdust Maker
7th July 2011, 10:28 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned simple things like weedpots or mushrooms. Made from classic Aussie timbers, these can be very attractive and a good talking point. They take bugger all time to make, and occupy no space at all.

I'd go with eggs

Tiger
7th July 2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks boys for getting back to me.

, I pretty much use Shellawax products which look great straight after using them on the lathe but the finish does fade quickly (or at least it does for me). Mainly use these products because they are quick to apply.

Dragon, mainly for kids so Christmas items are a good idea but if we go, we'll be going a couple of months before Christmas.

Sjm, never made a weedpot but sounds good, thanks.

bellyup
7th July 2011, 02:42 PM
G'day Tiger,
I find tea-light candle holders go over well - small, unbreakable and easy to make.
I make these in the shape of a small squashed tennis ball /donut/ eliptical - if you know what I mean - find a timber scrap turn a small tenon on the base, reverse, bore/ turn a 42mm recess about 25mm deep on the top and finish how you like, you can use the recess to reverse again and touch up the base if required.
I often have thin offcuts of burl that I glue/laminate on top of redgum or similar to use as the face of the tea light holder before I start turning. 2 or 3 coats of U-beaut and your looking good!
Bruce.

sjm
7th July 2011, 02:53 PM
Ah, for kids... How about spinning tops?

Bryanatkinson
7th July 2011, 08:24 PM
For the question 1, I've found a man in other website, he created wooden folding knife handle with his own name craft onto it. Such a beautiful work.

For the question 2, I'm not that skilled and I don't know much. When I'm in the same situation, I just use sandpaper rub on the surface to remove old finishing then use lacquer to coat the piece. At last, it's quite shiny.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th July 2011, 09:41 PM
Q1 Apart from pens/letter openers/bottle stoppers what other items would make small and easy to carry gifts?

Wooden eggs. They're very tactile and I don't know anyone who can resist the urge to pick one up the first time they see it! :)

Also, small teardrops of figured wood are always good. Esp if you glue bell-caps on the small end so they can be used as jewellery or on key-rings, or...

Tiger
8th July 2011, 09:15 PM
Great ideas for the portable projects.
Any more thoughts on restoring the shine, perhaps I'll consider a different type of finish if I can't restore Shellawax easily, what do you think? Just after a finish that I can restore quickly and with minimal equipment.

RETIRED
8th July 2011, 09:52 PM
You must be doing something wrong or the timber is wrong for the Shellawax to be fading.

Tiger
8th July 2011, 11:25 PM
You must be doing something wrong or the timber is wrong for the Shellawax to be fading.
I have no problem getting the nice sheen but after a little handling over time, the finish does seem to fade. Have no idea what I could be doing wrong. What timbers are best for Shellawax?

graemet
11th July 2011, 03:06 PM
Last time we went O/S, I made some small bowls from coolibah burl as gifts for our hosts, told 'em it was from the swagman's tree! The frogs smiled but the yanks believed me.

nalmo
15th July 2011, 12:38 PM
I recently took some smallish bowls (150mm) similar to these:‪bobham5's Channel‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/bobham5?blend=21&ob=5#p/u/9/s7NLN5WsA-w).

Also, wooden bangles for the women (make a range of sizes in case of larger wrists). Light, quick & easy to make.