PDA

View Full Version : Baby's Rattle

toddbron
5th July 2011, 06:42 PM
Hi,

Have made a baby's rattle - was told the timber was teak but think it is a bit light for it to be teak. I rough turned it and the cut the thickest part in half drilled out the halves with forstner bits - put some dowel off cuts in as rattles and then glued and clamped it together. Unfortunately the glue seeped into the cavity and stuck the rattles down. To fix it I drilled an 8mm drill into the top and put some metal washers into the cavity and then glued an 8mm piece of dowel into it - waited for it to dry and then sanded it. Finished the job with 400 grit sandpaper and homemade wax polish. Looks ok for a first try at a rattle. Tell me what you think.

Todd

turnerted
6th July 2011, 05:55 PM
Should keep the baby happy .
Is it just an illusion that where you made the cut round the centre looks to be on an angle?

toddbron
6th July 2011, 06:02 PM
Hi,

No illusion - it is on an angle - still haven't learnt to cut straight. And it isn't for my kids - no more babies in this family.

Todd

dr4g0nfly
6th July 2011, 11:32 PM
I don't know the age of your children but you've got to want grandkid's one day!

bellyup
7th July 2011, 03:59 PM
Looking good!
Just make sure your "wax" is safe for little ones to chomp on. I remember when my little bloke was teething he very nearly ate his way through the timber bed head!