PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

khumo
9th July 2011, 02:03 AM
gday,
ive got a question thats quite stupid but im unsure about it,
so ive got a bandsawn blank mounted on the faceplate and shaping the recess for the chuck, i turn it over to mount on the chuck .start it up and start turning, ive got a bowl gouge for the inside but what chisel do i use for the rough out side?

thankyou in advance for the help, much appreciated

cam

oldiephred
9th July 2011, 06:12 AM
There is no such thing as a stupid question. How can we learn without questions.?
From your description it sounds like you cut the recess then turned the blank around to turn the inside? The outside should be turned while the blank is still attached to the faceplate. Tool to use? I know what I use and some consider it unconventional so I will leave that to those who can maybe give you more direction.

Good luck

dr4g0nfly
9th July 2011, 06:14 AM
Eh... that would be the 'Bowl Gouge'.

It's shape, thickness of metal, flute and grind all work together to be your roughing gouge and finishing gouge.

Just remember to keep it sharp and to take one extra grind before your finishing cut for that smooth flowing finish.

You'll learn as you go that need different grinds as much as you need different sizes of gouge and will slowly build a small collection.

Pat
9th July 2011, 07:25 AM
slowly build a small collection.

And end up with about a dozen bowl gouges of various sizes, flutes and grinds.

Sawdust Maker
9th July 2011, 09:25 AM
And end up with about a dozen bowl gouges of various sizes, flutes and grinds.

But you're just a collector, Pat :q

brendan stemp
9th July 2011, 10:35 AM
You can also use a spindel gouge to shape the outside. One particularly well known turner once wrote that the reason he favoured the spindle gouge over the b/g for shaping the outside was because they were cheaper to replace. Makes sense.