PDA

View Full Version : Bobbin & needle case for embroidery.

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2011, 12:45 PM
Anybody ever made one?

I've made a couple of needle cases & a lady who does embroidery showed me her yarn bobbin & asked me if I could make a couple that were also needle cases, I reckon it might be a good thing. :think:

Here are a couple of pics, one shows a close up of the sample she had showing the fine slits to trap the thread in to keep it in place & the other shows he sample lying on a page in a magazine article showing a couple more.

This could be a good 'extra string' to your bow for you blokes with pen lathes. :2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=175523&stc=1&d=1310175849

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=175524&stc=1&d=1310175849

wheelinround
9th July 2011, 02:07 PM
Neat Cliff another idea for Issatree with bendigo coming up he
ll make a packet

issatree
9th July 2011, 02:24 PM
Hi Cliff, Wheelin,
You Chaps must be peeking into my garage, & as you speak, I have just finished 1 Bobbin, & 5 Needle Cases, & am just about to finish a Crochet Hook Case.
If you keep making them, you will have no trouble either giving them away or selling them.
I thought when I saw that Bobbin, Cliff, I thought " How did my Bobbin get on The Forums ".
I must admit I didn't think of the slit for the Cotton or Wool End.
Great Picks.

sjm
9th July 2011, 02:59 PM
How does the cotton get wound on? Don't tell me it's unwound from the cotton reel onto the bobbin by hand?

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2011, 03:44 PM
How does the cotton get wound on? Don't tell me it's unwound from the cotton reel onto the bobbin by hand?
Nuh, you need one of these. :wink:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/magic-little-quicky-137938/#post1344690

pommyphil
9th July 2011, 06:57 PM
I've made a few like that, also bored them out as a combo needle case. I was useing Forest Oak and never found a way to do the fine cut for the thread, chipped out every time :( Maybe I need a wand. Good "stocking fillers" though for Xmas.

Phil

powderpost
9th July 2011, 09:26 PM
I regularly make lace bobbins, needle boxes and "multiple" cotton reels for the markets. I leave the "multiple" cotton reels square so they don't roll off the table.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
9th July 2011, 09:41 PM
... I leave the "multiple" cotton reels square so they don't roll off the table.
Jim
Good idea, I might leave the end ones square. :2tsup:

MajorPanic
9th July 2011, 10:44 PM
Nice pen!

Great job! :wink:

Cliff Rogers
10th July 2011, 11:53 AM
Nice pen!

Great job! :wink:
Silly boy.... pay attention.... I haven't made one yet, I just took a picture of it. :rolleyes: :p

NeilS
11th July 2011, 12:19 AM
Yep, made some as a favour for someone. I used the thinnest Japanese saw I have (floppy thin) to start the thread slot then used a fine disposable blade knife in bottom of slot to get it then enough to hold thread. Hardest bit was getting the slots to cut parallel to each other. If they don't run parallel they look 'awkward'.