PDA

View Full Version : Hello and some help please?

loosehead
9th July 2011, 05:44 PM
Hello to all ,
My name is Chris and I live in Perth WA and have just started turning mainly plinths (bases) for my other interest military minatures my question is this ......Is ther any where I can find more unusual timbers for turning as I want to expand from Bunnings pine and jarrah most bases are app 80mm to 100mm high and 65mm to 80 mm diameter .
Any help would be great thank you...........

RETIRED
9th July 2011, 06:11 PM
You may have to try some of the timber suppliers.

The biggest problem is getting timber in the bigger sizes i.e. larger than 50mm.

Merbau is one that comes to mind as being big enough.

pommyphil
9th July 2011, 07:10 PM
My firewood pile of hardwood offcuts yields irisistable bits, in every barrow load there's a few bits "to good to burn" :rolleyes: :).

Grant Mack
10th July 2011, 02:37 PM
Chris,
Have a look at bowl blanks from Carba Tech or Timbecon
They may do the job and come in different species for varying prices
Grant

woodbutcher91
10th July 2011, 07:53 PM
Have you thought of contatcting a tree lopper? They usually have heaps of wood they will give away or trade for a carton of beer!:U

Stone Monkey
10th July 2011, 08:40 PM
Chris,
I have a woodpile (mainly Marri), you are welcome to come and get a few pieces. I live up in the hills.
Cheers
Pete

bookend
11th July 2011, 11:11 AM
Give Clint and Nikki at SlabnBurl Hardwoods in Manjimup a call. They will have some timber dry in the sizes you want and can arrange to ship it to Perth or possibly bring it with them to the Woodshow in September.

They are lovely people to deal with.

loosehead
11th July 2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice etc don't mind saying i'm starting to look at every tree ,branch and stump as a future turn project went to the firewood pile I must have had my eyes shut because once I started looking through it man it could be a cold winter for the family
Anyway thanks again fellas for the advice and now looking forward to the woodshow ( Poor and Cold ) wife won't be happy :D:D